All things considered, did Slash win?

grigori

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everybody got what they wanted

Did the fans?

But I don't know man, I think all those old guys want to be in GN'R. Not that they need to be in GN'R, Slash and Duff and Matt are doing just fine these days without Axl. But it's to a large degree who they are, and I think they regret what happened, and simply, who wouldn't want to be in the coolest band on the planet?

As for Axl, the man has taken things far too personally. I'm sure in his mind he believes he has won, but if you look at career accomplishments he is near the back of the pack. GN'R accomplished more in their first eight years than Axl has in the last 14. Almost double the amount of time, and with many more resources at his disposal. Unfortunately, this will remain a huge part of his legacy. With GN'R, back in 1994 the sky was the limit as far as their potential went, and they have not even come close to realizing it. I guess Axl's good with that though.

Edited by KBear

Well if you have to pick one, yes. But I don't think too many people are that excited about Slash's own music. He built up an image of being "cool" long ago and people still believe he is and they respect him. But I don't think he ever stepped away from the shadow of GN'R. When people get excited by something he's done or about a concert I think most of them are like "that's Slash from GN'R", and the GN'R songs are still the highlights. He is not very interesting on his own. Hell even VR was mostly like "My God it's almost GN'R!!!", that's probably the biggest reason for the success with Contraband. At the same time, I have trouble believing he can feel the same excitement by himself when he plays, as he did when he played the kind of crowds GN'R did with a frontman like Axl. And I think that is why he often sounds like he would consider doing it again - nothing can compare with that feeling GN'R gave him.

On the one hand, he is more respected than Axl by medias and the general public...but paradoxically, when it comes to touring, way less successful so I suppose Axl combined to the GnR brand is still a valuablle "asset".

On the other hand, the both of them are WAY less successful without each other so I don't see how leaving GnR was a WIN move...

Don't think either "won" by GNR's split, but Slash by far has made better of what was an unfortunate and major career altering situation. Even with only the 2 albums, hard to overstate how HUGE VR was for getting Slash back into the limelight and being relevant to the public again with the big debut album, singles, Grammy etc. This led to the GH3 cover and had a domino effect getting him to where he is today. He'd been doing some great session stuff prior to VR, but had been very low key for years like the rest of original GNR.

For a rock guitarist his age, working apart from his legendary band, hard to imagine how things could've gone much better. Sucks original GNR not together, but Slash has had an undeniable renaissance...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I think you guys are missing the real point here - you are a little too wrapped up in this fanboy shnit, but I think the OP is saying that Slash has a hot wife and kids and has a successful life - whereas Axl is foreveralone and lives with a spanish family (are they spanish (that berta thing??) anyway, she is like his mom who takes care of him and he hangs ouot with her kids - kind of weird.

Axl fails big time at life - he is rich - but he is a weirdo.

but I think the OP is saying that Slash has a hot wife and kids and has a successful life

OP is wrong then because Perla isn't hot.

She's a MILF.

exactly. Anyone who says they wouldn't bang the shiit out of Perla is gay.

Where is Axl in terms of family? All the other members of GNR are married. AXL is foreveralone.

Perla seriously has below average looks if you compare to the normal "rockstar standards". And I really dig that about Slash - he married a real woman instead of some doll. I do not care much for playboy model looks though, and think Perla is way prettier than Susan for example. But MILF? She's not even 40!

but I think the OP is saying that Slash has a hot wife and kids and has a successful life

OP is wrong then because Perla isn't hot.

She's a MILF.

exactly. Anyone who says they wouldn't bang the shiit out of Perla is gay.

Where is Axl in terms of family? All the other members of GNR are married. AXL is foreveralone.

Maybe Axl learned from earlier experiences to keep his relationships to himself and not get the media involved. If he hasn't had a relationship in almost 20 years that would also be his very own decision, I am sure there have been women lining up during this time.