The Spaghetti Incident

SuperBlaine

I got this album when I was about 11 years old for my birthday along with a ghetto blaster and Pink Floyd's Division bell from my uncle. I figure he didnt like both as they are both not well received albums...Too bad for him. Literally the loudest heaviest obnoxious set of songs id ever heard...It still rates high on my list lol. Anyway I was wondering if I could hear what some fans think about this one. I'm new to this forum so please share all thoughts and stories...

PS Favorites are Down On the Farm, Raw Power, Ain't It Fun, Buick Makane, Hair Of the Dog!! Fuck yeah.

Edited by SuperBlaine

i think its a great album, doesnt get much praise because its just a bunch of covers. but Aint it Fun and Down on the Farm are my favorite tracks.

I can't recall liking Ain't It Fun until i got The Greatest hits cd a few years ago now. When i heard it on that cd it really amazed me and sounded like a new song i hadn't discovered yet...at this time i didn't have use your illusions either so it was a fair assumption. I don't mind Since I Don't Have You, also don't remember liking it until the greatest hits cd. The reason I'm saying remember like i lost the album is because that is exactly what happened, I lost it. This happened when I moved which was sad because I really missed it. Luckily I recently picked up a copy for 6 dollars at HMV and enjoyed a blast from the past!

Edited by SuperBlaine

Spagghetti incident is completely underrated.

So many good songs on this album with a wide varaiety. It's one of those albums you can put on and just listen all the way through. Not a single bad track. And it really showcases Duff's ability as a singer and a musician. There is one track (I can't remember which right now. I think it's Look At Your Game Girl) where Duff done everything on the track.

So many good songs on this album with a wide varaiety. It's one of those albums you can put on and just listen all the way through. Not a single bad track. And it really showcases Duff's ability as a singer and a musician. There is one track (I can't remember which right now. I think it's Look At Your Game Girl) where Duff done everything on the track.

It was "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory". Duff recorded it for his solo album but the guys persuaded him to put it on TSI instead.

It was "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory". Duff recorded it for his solo album but the guys persuaded him to put it on TSI instead.

Definitely the one song i skip on the cd....Not gonna lie man it just doesn't fit in at all.

I remember discovering Look at Your Game Girl for the first time as a kid...I was thinking then and there that i had some freak misprint or something cuz it didn't even sound like anything else on the cd LOL. I think that discovery also kept my interest n the cd for some reason you know.

Edited by SuperBlaine

^You can't put your arms around a memory is the song I skip forward to. Definitely my favorite on the album. And yes, the album is underrated. It's like everyone push it far down, just because it's a cover album. The covers are still good in my opinion.

• 6 months later...
Guest Len B'stard

I think they just picked bad songs for themselves to cover

Since I Don't Have You - brilliant, Axl does a brilliant vocal turn and Slash's guitar sings

New Rose - shit, absolutely slaughtered a classic, it sounds too clean and completely robs the song of its original appeal

Down on the Farm - quite like this one actually, Axls English accent is hilairious, it appears he has pronnouncing the word 'shandy'

Human Being - Perfect song for them to cover, they pull it off brilliantly, right down to the pianoey thing, has a touch of Bad Obssession about it

Raw Power - complete clusterfuck, vocals sound phoned in and it just doesn't have the power and grind of the original Stooges one

Ain't it Fun - OK, not exactly brilliant

Buick McKane - dreadful

Hair of the Dog - dreadful song in general

Attitude - doesn't really touch the original but it has a kind of charm to it, i like it :)

Black Leather - awful

You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory - corny and awful take on one of the greatest songs ever written by one of the greatest rock n rollers ever born i mean, c'mon, "i wanna put my arms around your memory Johnnnyyy!" :vomit:

I Don't Care About You - fucking AMAZING!

So yeah, conclusion? When this album hits it hits well but its patchy and inconsistent, there's loads of songs they could've covered and really fucking nailed. Like their Jumping Jack Flash, that should've been on this fuckin album. Gives you the impression of a band that don't know what it's good at. Since I Don't Have You was a revelation though. Makes me wonder what other 50s ballads they could've really done a funky take on

I really liked it when it came out even if I remember that you weren't supposed to. I rarely put it on, but when I do I really enjoy it. Ain't it Fun, Hair Of The Dog, Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory and more are great songs.

I think that if old GN'R only had released one more original record, TSI would have gone down much better in history. Now it represents the downfall since it is sort of a proof that they couldn't write together anymore. If it wasn't seen as a symbol of that, I think it would be considered a fun record today.

TSI should NOT have had Since I dont Have You as the single.

It was supposed to be a punk album to re-establish GNR's attitude and coolness among the whole grunge movement.... but instead they picked a cheesy, sappy song and made a cheesy video for it which was the whole reason they were getting shit in the years prior so people immediately were like "well, GNR is still bloated and totally uncool, not even going to buy this one"

Terribly bad move. Should have been Ain't It Fun.

EDIT: I don't actually mind Since I don't Have You as a song, but first single and first song on the record defeated the whole point of the record imo.

Good point.

The cover is the reason June is the first time I ever heard it. I just couldn't bring myself to touch it.

Cover looks tasty :lol:

Cover looks nasty. Spaghetti's my favorite food, but it looks just gross on there. :P

More on topic, I have to say that I've been digging a lot of the stuff on there. I never realized how great the covers were. But many of the songs do need a swingin' drummer's touch, I agree. A little swinging could've increased the energy tenfold.

Am I the only one who can't listen to SIDHY after watching that music video? :lol: Whenever I hear that song now, I imagine that music video. I'd take dolphins over that video any day.

It either should've been incorporated into a UYI trilogy, or released as 2 EPs, one prior to UYI coming out, when they were touring, and one at the end of the tour. I think it got lost in the grunge shuffle at the time and people had moved on from GNR to listen to other bands, and I'm sure it was also intended for the fans to track the originals down.

Since I Don't Have You did throw the whole vibe of it off, I guess you can compare it to Pearl Jam doing Last Kiss? Look At Your Game, Girl is more of an "easter egg".

• 2 weeks later...