Axl vs Activision

maximum

Whatever axl8302 you just continue with your delusion that what Axl is doing is actually gonna help his career and image. Ill just sit here and laugh when the insults come in en masse.

I really don't see how Axl suing Activision, with a logical purpose, is going to effect his career. Maybe his "image" in the eyes of the media, but I doubt Axl really gives a shit about his "public image". I'm pretty sure Axl has plenty enough grasp on his own career, to his own liking.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To sailaway, yes, Slash might not represent GN'R or Axl and co. but insinuating that because he left the band ergo he has jackshit to do with the band is ludicrous. He was the second most prolific member, if not the most prolific along with Axl - leaving your job after some good years of service ain't gonna mean that everyone at that old place is gonna forget you, know what I mean?

packersnroses, yes he might not give a shit about his public image, but that's what has made the man lose fans post breakup and it's fucking sad to see a musician you love (especially the lead singer of your favourite band)) lose fans because it's his way or the fucking highway. We all compromise in life, unfortunately for Axl he chooses not to and as a result he has compromised his career (corny, but right).

I think they should use band image or logo not image of Slash anyway. I think if you leave a company people do forget you. your team building skills don't go down in history or anything.

seeing as Activision were dealing with Axl they shoulda better known better. they did a deal with Axl then put Slash's pic on the box lol

I don't get it though on another side of the argument - surely Slash and Duff would still need to give their approval as Jungle is part of the back catalogue and both of them along with Axl control the "other" Guns N' Roses (the old band,duh)? Maybe that's where shit got complicated?

,Show me where Saul Hudson has had his name legally changed,and I'll question your validity because it hasn't happened.I can refer to him in much worse terms but I'm being polite.

Also,Activision had to agree to the terms set forward in order to use the song,they are in violation of contractual stipulations,Saul is not being sued,Activision is.

Izzy never legally changed his name from Jeff either. You call him Jeff?

You're weird. Whatever.

Edited by Chris 55

I don't get it though on another side of the argument - surely Slash and Duff would still need to give their approval as Jungle is part of the back catalogue and both of them along with Axl control the "other" Guns N' Roses (the old band,duh)? Maybe that's where shit got complicated?

That might not be the issue. Slash and Duff agreed, but Axl didn't agree with what Activision did. maybe everyone agreed until Activision put Slash on the front. then Axl said that's not what we agreed.

I am so confused by Guitar Hero now. Is Axl in Velvet Revolver or is Slash in GNR? Someone must be sued for my confusion. Who plays guitar on the WTTJ original recording? Activision must pay for my confusion and damages to Mr. Rose are due.

exaclty, drama queen much?

trying to revive a career by appearing in the media for the wrong reasons is so Britney Spears...

Activision also screwed Courtney Love. she almost died seeing Kurt singing Bon Jovi songs :rofl-lol:

They told her that they would not use his image for any other songs than Nirvana.

Also No Doubt sued them and won

http://news.softpedia.com/news/No-Doubt-Win-Band-Hero-Activision-Court-Battle-140114.shtml

Activision is going down hard!

I am so confused

You are indeed a very confused and metally ill individual.

That might not be the issue. Slash and Duff agreed, but Axl didn't agree with what Activision did. maybe everyone agreed until Activision put Slash on the front. then Axl said that's not what we agreed.

also.. didn't Axl wait until GHIII became a huge success and sold millions before deciding to file a complaint..

Activision is going down hard!

Nah they won't. They have call of Duty money. They'll pay people off to make em go away. Besides, with how many games come out per year and how many newer versions of GH came out (before it was killed off), the average player doesn't even remember or care about the game anymore.

In the news today: EA was sued for calling a Thompson submachine gun clone "The Dillinger"

The Dillinger estate claimed ownership of the name and said EA hadn't asked permission. The Dillinger estate wanted the courts to retroactively grant 1996's right-to-publicity for Dillinger's name and possessions. But the judge, Jane Magnus-Stinson of US District Court in Southern Indiana, said no. She ruled that the statute does not apply to personalities who died before it became law. Furthermore, the association of Dillinger with the Thompson submachine gun she said came about because of popular culture. EA naming a similar gun "The Dillinger", then, was free speech, and that's covered by the First Amendment.

Maybe Activision will say Slash has the freedom to use his image to front his own guitarwork :D

In the news today: EA was sued for calling a Thompson submachine gun clone "The Dillinger"

Maybe Activision will say Slash has the freedom to use his image to front his own guitarwork :D

No, not when it's a GNR song and Axl owns the name. Not to mention the fact that Slash hasn't been with the band in 15 years. I don't see why thats so hard to understand.

Has anyone actually seen the agreement between Activision and Axl/his handlers? I've read the suit and it seems a lot of what he's alleging Activision breached came through "conversations", which will just lead to a "he said, she said" situation in court. Also, some of those conversations came through Beta, who I don't think is the most reliable filter.

The presence of VR songs as additional downloadable content released after the game hit shelves may violate the spirit of the agreement but not not the actual agreement itself, depending of course on the wording.

This whole thing is ridiculous, who else would do this? It's not like Axl would want to have Ashba on the cover, no, he wants to hide his band away for whatever reason. Denying Slash his earned right to have a claim to fame to those old gnr songs should be a crime itself.

GUITAR hero.

Welcome to the Jungle is the main song.

Slash played lead GUITAR on that song.

The rest is legal mumbojumbo and another example of Axl trying to hide gnr's legacy all the while making himself look more like a dick.

Good job on waiting years Axl so the game made all the money it could before you sued. Smart legal move, about the only smart moves Axl still has going for him. Oh, he was never really good at that either.. like suing his ex for "abusing him". Lol nice "rockstar" persona Axl. Your girl hits you, you sue her. Then he comes out having to pay her money and looking like a pussy AND a dick at the same time. So I guess he's got better legally, not stayed smart with it.

This whole thing is ridiculous, who else would do this? It's not like Axl would want to have Ashba on the cover, no, he wants to hide his band away for whatever reason. Denying Slash his earned right to have a claim to fame to those old gnr songs should be a crime itself.

GUITAR hero.

Welcome to the Jungle is the main song.

Slash played lead GUITAR on that song.

The rest is legal mumbojumbo and another example of Axl trying to hide gnr's legacy all the while making himself look more like a dick.

Good job on waiting years Axl so the game made all the money it could before you sued. Smart legal move, about the only smart moves Axl still has going for him. Oh, he was never really good at that either.. like suing his ex for "abusing him". Lol nice "rockstar" persona Axl. Your girl hits you, you sue her. Then he comes out having to pay her money and looking like a pussy AND a dick at the same time. So I guess he's got better legally, not stayed smart with it.

wtf? what the hell do u know about family violence u idiot? are u serious?

No, not when it's a GNR song and Axl owns the name. Not to mention the fact that Slash hasn't been with the band in 15 years. I don't see why thats so hard to understand.

Go through the other posts in this thread. Read what people have to say and let the logic sink in.

also.. didn't Axl wait until GHIII became a huge success and sold millions before deciding to file a complaint..

I don't know these would sell with just a pic of a guitar on the front?

all I'm saying is that I don't think Slash was like "Yes put me on the cover I rep the band". They could have easily signed off on the deal...which then Activision high on Call of Duty money disregarded. it's not like it's the first time something like this has happened. every deal that goes down people are fucking each other. it matters, it doesn't matter, it's business.

Has anyone actually seen the agreement between Activision and Axl/his handlers? I've read the suit and it seems a lot of what he's alleging Activision breached came through "conversations", which will just lead to a "he said, she said" situation in court. Also, some of those conversations came through Beta, who I don't think is the most reliable filter.

The presence of VR songs as additional downloadable content released after the game hit shelves may violate the spirit of the agreement but not not the actual agreement itself, depending of course on the wording.

hmmm.. that's interesting...

Activision used Slash, as Slash is a guitar hero - the whole purpose of the video game.

The songs they decided to use were songs Slash as had input into, obviously.

Axl gave permission to use Welcome to the Jungle - Activison used Welcome to the Jungle

Any song that happend to be a Slash Era Guns N'Roses song - I'm sure all band members from that era would have been paid paid accordingly.

Duff, Izzy, Slash, Adler have not criticized Activision in any way. Only Axl Rose has been the one to goto great lenghs to wine, and demand ridiculous amounts of cash, at a time there were rumours he was defaulting on payments on paintings, cars etc.

To sailaway, yes, Slash might not represent GN'R or Axl and co. but insinuating that because he left the band ergo he has jackshit to do with the band is ludicrous. He was the second most prolific member, if not the most prolific along with Axl - leaving your job after some good years of service ain't gonna mean that everyone at that old place is gonna forget you, know what I mean?

packersnroses, yes he might not give a shit about his public image, but that's what has made the man lose fans post breakup and it's fucking sad to see a musician you love (especially the lead singer of your favourite band)) lose fans because it's his way or the fucking highway. We all compromise in life, unfortunately for Axl he chooses not to and as a result he has compromised his career (corny, but right).

Second most prolific is debatable,although Izzy doesn't pimp out his work the way Saul does,and doesn't sign onto life under the limelight regardless of quality,I'd consider his contributions very prolific among all the alumni,he wrote some quality material.

This really doesn't need to turn into another vs. thread.

The lawsuit involves Axl and Activision,as far as I see Saul isn't being held liable for allowing Activision to use his image,whether he was aware of the stipulations set forth can only be speculated upon.

If indeed what the lawsuit claims is true,then Activision is liable for violating contractual obligations,I don't see how this is viewed as compromising careerwise,except by the slash disciples. :)

Second most prolific is debatable,although Izzy doesn't pimp out his work the way Saul does,and doesn't sign onto life under the limelight regardless of quality,I'd consider his contributions very prolific among all the alumni,he wrote some quality material.

This really doesn't need to turn into another vs. thread.

Then don't try and make it one