Axl vs Activision

maximum

Yep he certainly has an asshole side. I think it's a side effect of having a creative mind like he has. Or those things are at least somehow connected together in his case.

I think some of it must just be a necessity to build up a tough exterior. Can you imagine what it must be like to be Axl? To have negative things said about you everywhere you turn, even from people you were once close to? And not just friends talking behind your back, but everyone and on tv, tabloids, internet, everywhere. And many say 'well, if he just put out more music' or 'if he just played with Slash again' or 'if he just stopped suing people'. I don't perform as everyone expects all the time in my job, and people don't get as horribly mean to me about that as they do in the media and forums and comments about Axl. And I have read enough from people that say a lot of what we read is just crap, but people use it all as their excuse for just burying the guy. I just can't imagine what it must be like. That he even comes out of his house is amazing to me.

And why do people treat him so badly? could it be he treats people badly? maybe it is a case of "you reap what you sow"?.......just a thought...........

Oh come on, he hasn't done anything to the great majority of people on the internet, or even on this forum, yet you read some of the awful names people call him and the things that people say about him, thousands of people and it's all the time and it doesn't stop. If it were you, how do you think it would begin to affect you? I don't think I have a strong enough constitution that I could handle the whole world attacking me, a lot of it unjustified, and neverending. And most of it none of their business. Like I said, I can't imagine what it must be like.

I understand why the fans talk badly about Axl, feeling he broke up the old band, keeping the name when he is the only original member etc... Not saying it is justified in every case but I understand the reasoning...Not that I agree with some of the nasty stuff fans here say about him but there will always be some who get carried away just like the Slash haters on these forums.....

But if you are being honest even you have to admit Axl threw a lot of people under the bus to get to where he is today, former band members, former managers, and especially the press. He treated the press like shit for years and as a result they write negative things about him. Are they all justified? no of course not, but when you treat people badly you can't expect them to say positive things about you....just human nature.......

I am not trying to make this an Axl vs. Slash thing but why is it that you don't see people and the press trashing Slash like they do Axl? Do you and others really believe Slash is so smart he manipulates the press and has them all fooled? Could it be that he is respectful towards them, is genuinely a nice person who takes the time to answer all their dumb and repetitive questions while Axl will not give them the time of day and is afraid they might ask him tough questions? Why is it Axl is always being sued or sueing someone? I am sure Slash has had some lawsuits but not the the extent that Axl has...............Axl truly seems, from all apearances, to be a difficult person to get along with unless he can control you and you are his employee...........like I said, fair or not, you reap what you sow...and Axl has pissed off a lot of people...

So let's say Axl threw ten people under the bus to get where he is today. So then those ten people may be justified in responding in some negative way. But that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the thousands that have nothing to do with anything that really affects their lives, yet how they speak about Axl is more aligned with someone who killed their puppy or broke up their marriage. It's out of balance. And if I am on the receiving end of it coming at me from all angles, that's the part that would seem so difficult to live with. If Slash calls me an asshole because of things that had happened in our relationship, well, I might just have to suck that up and it's between us. But for the same thing that happened, a thousand other people feel they can call me an asshole - it's not really fair. And I think Slash would even agree with that. I completely get why Axl doesn't talk to anyone. I don't think I would want to either. I mean, the wave of hate towards Axl on the internet is astounding sometimes.

It's not just Axl. But he is the focus on this forum. It's anyone who is so reviled by so many people who really have nothing to do with him/her. Take Sarah Palin (no, not a fan one bit). She takes crap from every single angle in every form of media there is. Oh well, I guess that's way off topic.

He is the focus because he is all that is left of real GnR and is still using the name but I can't disagree with you on the fan negativity Orsys but that is the passion of fans I guess, justified or not........ :shrugs: ....but I also think Axl is way too concerned with what the fans on these forums say about him...If the rumour is true that he spends up to 4 hours at a time reading all the fan forums it sounds a little obsessive Yes?............ if I was Axl I would be more worried if fans stopped talking about him at least he still brings out the passion.........

I'd say only 20% of Axl's fan base is internet related.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is the focus because he is all that is left of real GnR and is still using the name but I can't disagree with you on the fan negativity Orsys but that is the passion of fans I guess, justified or not........ :shrugs: ....but I also think Axl is way too concerned with what the fans on these forums say about him...If the rumour is true that he spends up to 4 hours at a time reading all the fan forums it sounds a little obsessive Yes?............ if I was Axl I would be more worried if fans stopped talking about him at least he still brings out the passion.........

I don't know. I know what you're saying, but if this forum were about me and a lot of what was being said was about me, and a lot of it is not only negative but vicious, I'm not sure I could not read it. I could read the good stuff too of course. But a sensitive person would be more impacted by the negative. And it would be daily, year after year, from other sources too.

I didn't really want to take this as a whole theme. Someone had posted a link to some Yahoo story about the suit and the comments were really awful and I tried to see what it might be like to be on that receiving end.

I was thinking the same thing the other day when I saw someone post "Axl, no one will ever love you for you," and I just thought about how much that must hurt to read. And that's not even the worst thing I have seen posted on this board, it must be pretty fucking horrible for Axl to read some of the things on here.

It's your tpyical 'rock and a hard place' scenario, it's a website that pretty much revolves around him so he feels compelled to read it (I assume) but what he reads must more often than not depress the hell out of him.

If I was in his shoes I would probably be looking on here almost every other day, I wouldn't be able to help myself. I remember Fernando once saying that it really upsets Axl when he reads something negative about him on the boards or in the comments section of the article because he knows he can't do anything to shift that perception. Lets face it, the guy is pretty much hated, imagine what that's like, to be almost universally hated?

I'm sure he is a happy guy who enjoys his life and has lots of love in his life from family and friends but I just can't see him viewing these boards as that much of a positive part of his day.

If I was in his shoes I would probably be looking on here almost every other day, I wouldn't be able to help myself. I remember Fernando once saying that it really upsets Axl when he reads something negative about him on the boards or in the comments section of the article because he knows he can't do anything to shift that perception. Lets face it, the guy is pretty much hated, imagine what that's like, to be almost universally hated?

He has it in his power to alter peoples perception of himself if he wants to. Start treating people with respect....Come out of your shell and talk to the press without any conditions and answer honestly no matter how painful...Get on stage on time so as not to inconvenience your fans who have to work the next day...Start being open with your fans on what the band is doing and give them honest updates on tour plans, new music etc....these seemingly small things would go a long way to changing peoples perception of Axl..

He has it in his power to alter peoples perception of himself if he wants to. Start treating people with respect....Come out of your shell and talk to the press without any conditions and answer honestly no matter how painful...Get on stage on time so as not to inconvenience your fans who have to work the next day...Start being open with your fans on what the band is doing and give them honest updates on tour plans, new music etc....these seemingly small things would go a long way to changing peoples perception of Axl..

In otherwords act like 95% of his peers do!

Edited by sleeper

I just don't see it, it's cool to hate the guy because of the image that surrounds him, at least to the general public anway. For the fans who follow yeah those things would make a difference but it will in no way wipe away all the shit people thought of him beforehand. As much as I don't like to admit it I think Axl's reputation in popular culture is a lost cause.

For that reason I really hope he does one day release a book explaining everything from his point of view.

I just don't see it, it's cool to hate the guy because of the image that surrounds him, at least to the general public anway. For the fans who follow yeah those things would make a difference but it will in no way wipe away all the shit people thought of him beforehand. As much as I don't like to admit it I think Axl's reputation in popular culture is a lost cause.

For that reason I really hope he does one day release a book explaining everything from his point of view.

'his point of view' - ..and that's where the problems begin.

'his point of view' - ..and that's where the problems begin.

Yeah, and I can attribute "that's where the problems begin," to any book written by any member of Guns whether it be Slash, Duff, Steven or Izzy. They are all going to see things differently.

No I don't think that is true, it would take time, and most likely would be painful for Axl, but he could change public perception if he wanted too...Much of Axl's bad image is the result of bad press...The biggest change and challenge I think would be to repair his relationship with the press by treating them with respect and siting through some very difficult uncensored interviews....IMHO his bad realtionship with the press has caused the majority of his image issues. it would require him to put up with some shit initially and go through some hostile interviews but it could be done...Imagine Axl going on 60 minutes or siting with Barbara Walters and opening up...it would be epic

As for the fans show them respect them and start showing up on time....Letting fans know what is going on would not hurt.

I don't think there is a quick fix to changing peoples perception of Axl but people are ususally pretty forgiving if they see someone is trying..

The problem I see is it would take a major personality change for Axl and him willing to take some repsonsibility for his past actions and frankly I don't know if he would be up for the challenge.....it is tough to change as you get older..........

It's going to be a case of who has the better lawyers.

If this was such a big deal for Axl, for such a highly promoted game, he would've sued them before it was released. I think he (the lawyers) waited until Activision made their money to go after them.

On GH2, they have SCOM but I don't think it's the original recording.

The tour's been successful. He has no reason to talk to the press, even though it wouldn't hurt to go on Kimmel and Fallon.

43. THe centerpiece of the box cover of the GH III features an animated depiction of Slash, with his signature black top hat, long dark curly hair, dark sunglasses and nose-piercing. The appearance of Slash on the cover of GH III was never disclosed to Rose or his representatives. The television and Internet commercial accompanying the game's release features special effects of the real-life Slash emergin from the body of another young man to play a guitar solo form a VR song along with the tag line "Is there a guitar hero in you?"

So Slash's imagery is still associated to GNR? so Slash has to pay Axl everytime he uses the top hat??

:rofl-lol: this made my day... poor slash... :rolleyes:

No I don't think that is true, it would take time, and most likely would be painful for Axl, but he could change public perception if he wanted too...Much of Axl's bad image is the result of bad press...The biggest change and challenge I think would be to repair his relationship with the press by treating them with respect and siting through some very difficult uncensored interviews....IMHO his bad realtionship with the press has caused the majority of his image issues. it would require him to put up with some shit initially and go through some hostile interviews but it could be done...Imagine Axl going on 60 minutes or siting with Barbara Walters and opening up...it would be epic

As for the fans show them respect them and start showing up on time....Letting fans know what is going on would not hurt.

I don't think there is a quick fix to changing peoples perception of Axl but people are ususally pretty forgiving if they see someone is trying..

The problem I see is it would take a major personality change for Axl and him willing to take some repsonsibility for his past actions and frankly I don't know if he would be up for the challenge.....it is tough to change as you get older..........

Know what, I agree. He would never be able to shut all the haters, but if he was more open, he certainly could improve his public image.

For example, now would be a great time to give an interview and mention how fun it was to have Duff onstage again. The next Axl headline could be then something along the lines of "Rose Says McKagan Reunion Was 'Great'", and I'd imagine that would gain more positive comments than "Axl Rose Sues Activision Over Slash Appearance".

Dave Mustaine is still often seen as a prick, but titles like "Dave Mustaine: 'I Don't Have Any Enemies Anymore'" make people think that maybe he's actually a reasonable person.

And information about the future plans of GN'R wouldn't hurt, either. :tongue2:

Things like this settle out of court 99% of the time. I would be VERY surprised if Activision "defeats" Axl. Activision probably knows they fucked up, but figured settling the inevitable lawsuit would be a lot cheaper than recalling the game.

Agreed, and whether Activision believes Axl has a case or not, settling will be important for them because of the potential impact on their reputation for misrepresenting themselves in their business partnerships.

Activision will settle because they grossed over a $Billion dollars already on the game and it has been established so they have a cash cow now which will continue to make money. Even if they give Axl $20 million, which I doubt will be the final number, it is pocket change for them in the grand scheme of things...

Things like this settle out of court 99% of the time. I would be VERY surprised if Activision "defeats" Axl. Activision probably knows they fucked up, but figured settling the inevitable lawsuit would be a lot cheaper than recalling the game.

I'd agree with a settlement simply because trials are extremely costly waste of time; and settlement or arbitration are far cheaper. I've known a business attorney that have spent his whole career without setting foot in a courtroom for this reason. There wouldn't be a need to recall the game as it's been on the shelves for past three years. Activision may settle just to get this out of the way but definitely not for $20M. Axl would get defeated in a legal battle of attrition against Activision but I think he would lose regardless as I don't believe Activision fucked up. I think it was Rose's team that did.

I love Axl's legal shenaniganry. Fuck Slash.

That's what he's saying to all of you.

It's that simple.

Slash detrimental behavior to the old Guns has been concealed and marginalized while Rose's has been exaggerated. Axl is making him pay. Literally.

It's a pissing contest, and still is. Haha.

Hey - I would REALLY like to get a t-shirt with a pic of nu Guns on it so I can support the band.

Can anybody direct me to a link where they sell shirts with the current band on them?

Hell, how about a poster?

A keychain?

no, but somebody here can probably get you a deal on GNR scented candles, or beach towels... :xmasschef:

Something doesn't necessarily have to be written down for it to be contractually binding.

Yeah, right. Without it in the contract it's just a case of his word versus theirs and vice versa, impossible to prove. IF that is the case, then Activision probably won't be in any hurry to fork over any $$ to Axl. And I'll stand by what I said before: If Axl didn't have those demands/requirements put into the contract, then it was a stupid move on his part, IMO.

In a way (as much as I love Slash), I really did think that the whole Guitar "Hero" thing went a bit too far. Even though I kinda guiltily enjoyed playing it and seeing Slash on the screen, a part of me kinda thought "...really?" If that's how a fan thinks, then I guess a band member who has a particular idea of a band (one that he's still in) and what he wants it to represent would feel a lot more strongly about it. We trivialise it, but this is Axl's band, his identity. Maybe he doesn't want it to be assosciated with a kinda cheesy animated video game "boss". I do see how he could feel it would detract from their image.

Even if he loses, I get where Axl is coming from with this.

I don't think it has a thing to do with "detracting from the bands image", and has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it's Slash playing WTTJ in the game. If Axl didn't want his music to be associated with a "cheesy video game" then he wouldn't have put SCOM on GH2 AND Shackler's Revenge on Rock Band 2. If that "boss" in GH3 was anybody other than Slash, it wouldn't even be an issue. I think it comes down to the fact that the game made over 1 BILLION $$ and Axl wants a piece of it. Whether he's entitled to it or not remains to be seen though....