Anyone Miss Oh My God and Silkworms?

Musicman11

I don't know about anyone else, but two songs that I really miss from the setlist (and the Chinese Democracy album as well.) are Silkworms and Oh My God, the versions played at Rock In Rio 3 back in 2001 were great instrumentally and were good vocally. I think given the chance they would sound amazing if still played today. They have that very industrial feeling that I liked about Guns back then. What I don't understand is why they didn't make it on the album, theres still about 8 minutes left for use and I think If The World could have been replaced as well in order to break up the rather large string of ballads we had on Chinese Democracy. So what is your opinion on this? Should they be in the setlist again? Should they have been on Chinese Democracy? Do you think one might make it on the next CD?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Oh My God, one of my favorite NuGNR songs, I have always wanted to hear an updated version of it

There sort of is, the live version they played a few times was altered and had some extra awesome guitar parts courtesy of Buckethead. Axl has said that they recorded a version of it with Buckethead, but has said that its unlikely to be released. Which confuses me as to why, its a good song in my opinion and he knows that part of the fanbase likes it, so why not?

OMG (along with shackler's) is my favorite of the more recent GNR songs. I hope they play this at RIR! I like those songs in particular because they are fast and HEAVY, I hope the next album contains more music like this! I'm not as much of a fan of the slowish ballads. :(

Not at all.

I hope Axl and the boys are concentrating on new songs. Writing, recording, playing - and not worrying so much about trying to revitalize old cult-classic type songs. The SFB's bash Axl for playing too many old songs, now people want them to play older songs that weren't even popular? No thanks. I'd much rather have two new songs, than two old songs.

I like Oh My God, however I think the only song on CD I'd replace with Oh My God is Riad... the rest is better, in my opinion. Silkworms, on the other side was really, really, really sucky... at least the way it was in RiR3.

To me, I wouldn't mind hearing them finished. When I first heard OMG I did not recognize it as GnR. Silkworms just sounds to painful to sing.If it were finished I'd give it another shot. To me they sounded like songs created for a fictional movie rocker to sing. Not horrible, just missing a certain something. Like Inside You Inside Me by Brendan Frazer for Bedazzled movie. It is an ok song. Of the right people covered it it could be great. Tweaking!

I don't know about anyone else, but two songs that I really miss from the setlist (and the Chinese Democracy album as well.) are Silkworms and Oh My God, the versions played at Rock In Rio 3 back in 2001 were great instrumentally and were good vocally. I think given the chance they would sound amazing if still played today. They have that very industrial feeling that I liked about Guns back then. What I don't understand is why they didn't make it on the album, theres still about 8 minutes left for use and I think If The World could have been replaced as well in order to break up the rather large string of ballads we had on Chinese Democracy. So what is your opinion on this? Should they be in the setlist again? Should they have been on Chinese Democracy? Do you think one might make it on the next CD?

If you don't like ballads than you have a small dick.

Interesting. I never knew that musical tastes=penis size. Please explain.

I actually miss them a lot. Especially with them not being in the setlist, if for nothing else. Oh My God was officially released on something, so I can see why they wouldn't put it on CD. With silkworms, I feel like Axl was trying to keep some semblence of rock n roll on every song. Silkworms was more of a pure industrial album. Maybe we'll get it on one of the next two albums

Guest siliconmessiah

Oh My God and Silkworms are good parts in a direction for GNR that would have been nice to hear more of.

But as Buckethead, Brain and Finck left, so did apparently the thoughts of a more industrial sound. =(

By the way, didn´t Axl confirm in the chats that Silkworms had been re-worked? Would have been amazing to hear that!

Edited by siliconmessiah

No need to be offensive, I really just didn't like If The World and the fact that the majority of ballads were crammed into one section. I just wished that they had included these two so that the album was heavy and soft at the same time. I love Sorry, This I Love, Catcher In The Rye, There Was A Time, Better, and Street Of Dreams, so don't tell me I don't like the ballads, for the most part I just keep my Ipod on repeat for the Chinese Democracy album when I feel like listening to it and love everything but If The World. Like I said I would have just liked another heavy song on the CD, plus I actually liked the songs in the first place.

Oh My God and Silkworms are good parts in a direction for GNR that would have been nice to hear more of.

But as Buckethead, Brain and Finck left, so did apparently the thoughts of a more industrial sound. =(

By the way, didn´t Axl confirm in the chats that Silkworms had been re-worked? Would have been amazing to hear that!

To my knowledge both track have been reworked, just never released to the public in these "complete" versions. I put emphasis on complete just because the only way a new Guns song is complete is if it is on the store shelves on a CD. But it is a shame that the sound has gone pretty much completely. I would have liked to have heard more of the direction, but Finick, and the Buckethead and Brain combo were very big parts of that sound as you pointed out, where as most of the current line-up is more rock based and bluesy sounding. Bumblefoot has a little of the industrial sound underneath, but not that much.