Robin Finck's Place As Part of GNR

Musicman11

Just sayin´...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzEU_MnZdHg

That feeel and soul...oh my!!! Love it!!! Like someone commented: "I have no voice ! Damn It's so good ! It's so loud and sick ... Wahwahwahwah! Robin Finck you are Marvelous !"

LOVE that. I've got a blu ray bootleg from December of 06 where Robin does something similar and even better. I use it to show people what a complete bad ass he was.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sayin´...

That feeel and soul...oh my!!! Love it!!! Like someone commented: "I have no voice ! Damn It's so good ! It's so loud and sick ... Wahwahwahwah! Robin Finck you are Marvelous !"

LOVE that. I've got a blu ray bootleg from December of 06 where Robin does something similar and even better. I use it to show people what a complete bad ass he was.

That was the 2006 band at it's prime top best!

But I want to hear the current band with their OWN material too. For example, in Ashba's defence, Ballad of Death is a beautiful piece. I truly believe each and every one of these musicians perform best when they can play their own parts instead of other's parts. Finck is a perfect example of that, Ashba too. Let them do their thing and then they shine, cause it's more natural that way. In my opinion.

Just sayin´...

That was the 2006 band at it's prime top best!

But I want to hear the current band with their OWN material too. For example, in Ashba's defence, Ballad of Death is a beautiful piece. I truly believe each and every one of these musicians perform best when they can play their own parts instead of other's parts. Finck is a perfect example of that, Ashba too. Let them do their thing and then they shine, cause it's more natural that way. In my opinion.

100% agreed. If Ashba can write as melodic as the Ballad of Death in a gn'r context and do the bluesy stuff too, it could be awesome.

As for Robin - I'd still take old stuff from him anyday over DJ's ideas but that's just me.

Marc Ford is a very different player from Robin, doubt very much that Sometimes Salvation solo is how Robin would play it.

Didn't know the guys name, but I think the bending notes are pretty much what Robin loves to do. IMO pretty much how he would play it without a doubt.

Which one, the Gibson Amphitheater? I missed the bluray, only saw some 1080p on YouTube...

I'm saying as long as they are under the gnr name, they should be playing the classic solos as accurately as they can. From what I could tell, finck almost ALWAYS butchered the classic solos. Every other comment on youtube bashes him for his inaccuracy to play them. So I'm guessing more fans were upset about it than to the naked eye. I personally feel that ashba does a better job playing the classic stuff than finck did.

As for labeling him just as industrial, that was my bad. But still, his guitar playing just never did anything for me in general. And I never understood how axl gave him more lead spots over bucket and bumble. Even richard, he was way more suited for lead imo than robin was. Just didn't make sense to me.

YouTube comments aren't really the place to look for fair opinions. About Richard, he's a good player, but I guess he wasn't anything special for writing leads. But then again, I prefer him than Ashba, so...

As for Robin - I'd still take old stuff from him anyday over DJ's ideas but that's just me.

Not just you.

Marc Ford is a very different player from Robin, doubt very much that Sometimes Salvation solo is how Robin would play it.

Didn't know the guys name, but I think the bending notes are pretty much what Robin loves to do. IMO pretty much how he would play it without a doubt.

That was a bit too flowing for Rob, he tends to staccato his notes more and his bendings aren't always that in tune/control. They play quite differently from each other. Plenty of doubt.

That was a bit too flowing for Rob, he tends to staccato his notes more and his bendings aren't always that in tune/control. They play quite differently from each other. Plenty of doubt.

Didn't get it. You're saying Robin isn't always in tune/control in studio? Just listen to his solo in Better with that bend/release thing.

Which one, the Gibson Amphitheater? I missed the bluray, only saw some 1080p on YouTube...

I'm saying as long as they are under the gnr name, they should be playing the classic solos as accurately as they can. From what I could tell, finck almost ALWAYS butchered the classic solos. Every other comment on youtube bashes him for his inaccuracy to play them. So I'm guessing more fans were upset about it than to the naked eye. I personally feel that ashba does a better job playing the classic stuff than finck did.

As for labeling him just as industrial, that was my bad. But still, his guitar playing just never did anything for me in general. And I never understood how axl gave him more lead spots over bucket and bumble. Even richard, he was way more suited for lead imo than robin was. Just didn't make sense to me.

YouTube comments aren't really the place to look for fair opinions. About Richard, he's a good player, but I guess he wasn't anything special for writing leads. But then again, I prefer him than Ashba, so...

Not just you.

Yeah, the Gibson Amphitheater one. 12/20/06 I think. I got the blu ray from www.gnrworld.com and it looks & sounds awesome!

Alright this is pretty much a reply to all the people who commented after I did earlier today. First of all that solo spot was freaking awesome. Can't believe that I've never seen that before. Also if there is one good thing about Ashba, it is the Ballad Of Death Solo he does, its actually pretty good, but still nowhere near what Finck plays in his solo spotlight from above.

@moreblack: I meant very young bands playing covers at the start of their career, I should have specified some more about it. When your starting out changing up covers to fit your style is a bit of a gateway to writing your own original material or showing how well you can write within a certain set of limits. Thus that is what makes you successful. I really poorly expressed what I was trying to say. Anyway your entitled to your own opinion, so I won't argue further. Finck has always been one or the other, people either love him or hate him. I see most people who have commented here seem to like him for the most part. Finck to me will always be the definitive player of NewGNR, but hey maybe you see someone else as that position. Fine by me.

Oh my god... I've seen this many times before but... It's just pure magic. I do kinda miss him. Say what you will, but he was a big part of new Guns.

Did someone say he's working on a solo album? Really? I can't wait!!

Yeah I thought about what a Robin solo album will sound like. In what style? whatever it is, if this is true I hope it's going to have an industrial side but with a lot of guitar solos and Finck craziness to it.

Bring it on!

Alright this is pretty much a reply to all the people who commented after I did earlier today. First of all that solo spot was freaking awesome. Can't believe that I've never seen that before.

I wish the one from the blu ray I have was on YouTube. It's even better than the one posted here from Jersey.

I too prefer Robin's version of Patience (not only the solo, his whole guitar work for the rhythm) and November Rain. And, of course, his SCOM solo, which was way more interesting to me.

i don't no for sure that it dates back to 1994 however in an interview in 1994 axl said he was working on a new song and he was going to include brain may so im guessing he meant catcher but didn't may also work on atlas shrugged?

I think you misunderstood. Axl *wanted* to have Brian May back then, but that didn't happen. Later, in 1999, Robin left to get back with NIN and Axl invited May to replace Robin's leads in some songs - as he said himself, because he was "emotionally attached" with Finck's work and he had to get someone as good as May to not feel bad about replacing those leads.

Brian May himself said he recorded with Axl back in 1999 or 2000. Also, Catcher corrected credits on the alternative Chinese cover (and on the official guitar tab book) says pretty clear that the song was written by Axl, Paul Tobias, Stinson (who only came in in 1998), Robin and Dizzy.

forget robin,, ugly and bizarre person.

the place for him is in the NIN.

Robin to leave was one of the best things in the last ten years, for GNR.

I get it, you're trolling this thread for the sake of it.

Anyways, why the hell does people say things like "the place for him is in the NIN"? He's one of the most emotional guitar players when playing bluesy solos, which just don't happen at all on Nine Inch Nails. Even his guitar tone is a bit far from what Trent Reznor used in the records. And don't even get me started as how much of talent he has when writing ORIGINAL leads in comparison to DJ Ashba...

I'm sure Robin is always getting this shit because of the way he looked back in 2001/02. This prejudice about his visual is always used to bash him, as if his sound doesn't even matter.

i'm not trolling anything. don't need.

is just my opinion.

Edited by auad

Didn't get it. You're saying Robin isn't always in tune/control in studio? Just listen to his solo in Better with that bend/release thing.

See, that's definitely nothing like Marc Ford. Robn does a lot of stops and bendy stuff that's not always meant to be "in tune" or sound "right" it's intentional.

Edited by moreblack

Ok, what about this particular Sometimes Salvation solo with never-ending bends and lots of stops in an overly distorted guitar? Anyways, this particular one always reminded me something Robin could write IMHO.

If anything, it's just not crazy enough to be like Robin, you hear him in that New Jersey solo spot play over a bluesy rhythm like the Crowes song, and his stuff is pretty out there, very spastic. Marc's by comparisson is almost controlled.

Oh my god... I've seen this many times before but... It's just pure magic. I do kinda miss him. Say what you will, but he was a big part of new Guns.

that was fucking great say what u like about Robin but DJ Ashba CANNOT play like that

that was fucking great say what u like about Robin but DJ Ashba CANNOT play like that

Why do you have to insult DJ to justify Robin's talent? We all know he's great no need to run your mouth like a little teenage punk.

U mad bro?

His studio work was sublime. Although I'm not exactly sure how much jamming he did versus how much went on the record. It's a known fact that Axl likes to cut and paste his members solos(Brian May etc), so it's hard to say how much of Robins work was good. He is missed though, he felt like a real Guns member and was/is a major influence on the sound of Chinese Democracy(album).

SImply...

Robin Is Magic !!!

Maybe he is, maybe he isnt, but one thing he is not, and that is in GNR anymore. so I dont get why we can discuss this here and not say a discussion on say Duffs part in GNR or Slash's or any other ex member.

Good Point,should be all or none,to be fair to everyone.

SImply...

Robin Is Magic !!!

Maybe he is, maybe he isnt, but one thing he is not, and that is in GNR anymore. so I dont get why we can discuss this here and not say a discussion on say Duffs part in GNR or Slash's or any other ex member.

Because neither Slash nor Duff feature on the lastest Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. When Duff showed up to play a show with Guns last year it was allowed, so why can't we talk about someone who contributed massively to the latest Guns album and most like future Guns albums?