Robin Finck's Place As Part of GNR

Musicman11

Since we really don't have anything new to talk about yet (At least officially), I figured I'd see what you all thought of Robin Finck's performances throughout the years. Finck would play things in his own way, interpret the music if you will and had a tendancy to play what he felt was right with the music. Now my question to you is what do you think of Finck and his many performances? Personally I love him and think that he really did a good job of taking things and making them his own. I also think that he was a very large part of the performances on CD and was a big help since he was with the band from 97-99 and 2000-2008. So what are your thoughts?

Edited by Musicman11

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siliconmessiah

The longer he was with GNR, the better he got.

Sure thing.

People get better along the way. I know it´s stupid, but think what musical monstrosity this could have been with the 2002 lineup and constant output of records since then. Oh my god!

Robin was a huge part of the direction and sound of new Guns. I love his studio work and I'm a big fan of his playing live.

A lot of great solos from him: Better, Street Of Dreams, There Was A Time, Chinese Democracy are all highlights for me and his feel is awesome.

A really big loss for the band. His style really worked with Bucket's style too which I think was crucial to the record.

Edited by Rovim

Guest siliconmessiah

A really big loss for the band. His style really worked with Bucket's style too which I think was crucial to the record.

I totally agree.

My support for this band got severely hit when Bucket & Robin left. I really hope that we get to hear more of their recorded material.

Edited by siliconmessiah

I still think that the 2001 line-up was the definitive line-up of new GNR. Buckethead and Finck were an awesome Guitar Duo, Tobias I like better than Fortus, and Brain I personally like more than Ferrer. Brilliant line-up period (I'm not mentioning the remainder because they are still there.). Each tour they seemed to lose a great player and gain a decent one. Bumblefoot was the exception, he and Finck seemed to fit pretty good together and hes a good player anyway. Finck's playing was great and he was the last link to that 2002 line-up I loved so much, so I hate that we lost him. What I don't understand is why he didn't come back to GNR when the new CD tour started, NIN Wave Goodbye was done and Trent was focusing on different things by late 2009. Theres no reason Finck couldn't have joined due to prior commitments. It makes me even sadder that the only thing hes done since GNR besides a year of NIN is the minute track on Cee LO Green's album (Which is awesome, but its still just 1 minute.) I just miss Finck period, GNR or not.

Edited by Musicman11

I totally agree.

My support for this band got severely hit when Bucket & Robin left. I really hope that we get to hear more of their recorded material.

+2 :thumbsup:

@Seely: I thought I was one of the few that actually like his vocals. The Rio performances with his vocals was awesome. So for example:

I love it when he overpowers Axl during the second chorus, he fits in pretty good actually vocally in the song, and

I'm probably a minority in the fact that I like this version more than I do the one on the album. His Guitar parts throughout just have more punch to me at least, and I feel the vocals by Axl and Robin fit better than Axl on top of Axl. I just feel it works better. Could Axl's vocals have been a little better, yes, but they don't ruin the song by anymeans. I especially love the opening bit when he does the 1,2,3 with his guitar before the main riff starts :thumbsup:

The 2006 version of Robin Finck and his playing was something of the best this band has ever had.

Yes, look no further than this performance of Better for proof of how great he was by that point. The longer he was with GNR, the better he got.

This 'Better' performance is exactly why I think the RockAmRing performance was rather disappointing: really bad mix, and Axl sounds out of breath most of the times. The shows in the US at the end of that same year were FAR better.

Not the best guitar player... but he wrote some cool shit for CD. I enjoy pretty much everything he's done in the studio for GNR, but he sucked pretty bad live, probably because of his awkward dancing

That pretty much sums it up. He probably has a big spot in the hearts of the ones who enjoyed CD the most, and that 2006 tour helped turn around some doubters.

I will, to my dying day, be an unapologetic Robin fan. I think him and Axl had a chemistry that was probably more important than any other in the band's history. While he's not gonna put on a technical clinic everytime he plays, he puts more emotion into his playing than 99% of those out there. He could've brought any number of guitar players that could play the old stuff note for note, but what's the point? Robin is sort of an unsung hero in the bands lore, and I truly believe that with Axl (and to an extent Bucket), he paved the way to shaping what GNR was gonna become. And think about it. He went from being an industrial guitar player to feeling the spot of one of the most famous and loved players in history, that played and ENTIRELY different style. And he did it. I still think every incarnation of Guns is a group of beyond brilliant and superb musicians, current players included, but I'll always hold out hope that somewhere, someday, there is a chance that he might return...