Robin Finck's Place As Part of GNR

Musicman11

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin was my fav. GNR member besides Axl. I miss him!

Agreed. I liked him in 02 but I remember seeing something new in 06 right from the opening of that first Hammerstein show. I personally think his NR and Patience solos are better than the originals. I also think his solo on The Blues is incredible, it's edged out only by himself on This I Love. I'd really like to sit down with my Les Paul and the Chinese guitar book and look that thing note for note. It's just amazing.

Robin was my fav. GNR member besides Axl. I miss him!

Agreed. I liked him in 02 but I remember seeing something new in 06 right from the opening of that first Hammerstein show. I personally think his NR and Patience solos are better than the originals. I also think his solo on The Blues is incredible, it's edged out only by himself on This I Love. I'd really like to sit down with my Les Paul and the Chinese guitar book and look that thing note for note. It's just amazing.

Theres a Chinese Guitar book?, MUST F'ING HAVE!!!

Robin made a profound contribution to the band on both "Chinese Democracy" and future records/songs.

His playing style is incredibly unique and very much missed. I can only describe his style as "drug addled tweaker".

It was a perfect contrast to Buckethead's sanguine perfection and both are missed terribly.

But knowing GNR "fans" they'll throw him under the bus just like they did/do with Slash and Bucket...

Robin was a huge part of the direction and sound of new Guns. I love his studio work and I'm a big fan of his playing live.

A lot of great solos from him: Better, Street Of Dreams, There Was A Time, Chinese Democracy are all highlights for me and his feel is awesome.

A really big loss for the band. His style really worked with Bucket's style too which I think was crucial to the record.

Agreed. I think it will really hurt the band's sound now he and Bucket are gone. They were two very different styles that somehow worked together. Apparently Bumblefoot and Ashba get along as far as performances go, so we'll hopefully see how that will turn out.

I don't understand the hate he got, especially for his sloppy playing live. Tons of talented guitarists are sloppy. Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, even Slash was sloppy. I loved his solos in Street of Dreams, Better and This I Love.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Robin was a huge part of the direction and sound of new Guns. I love his studio work and I'm a big fan of his playing live.

A lot of great solos from him: Better, Street Of Dreams, There Was A Time, Chinese Democracy are all highlights for me and his feel is awesome.

A really big loss for the band. His style really worked with Bucket's style too which I think was crucial to the record.

Agreed. I think it will really hurt the band's sound now he and Bucket are gone. They were two very different styles that somehow worked together. Apparently Bumblefoot and Ashba get along as far as performances go, so we'll hopefully see how that will turn out.

I don't understand the hate he got, especially for his sloppy playing live. Tons of talented guitarists are sloppy. Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, even Slash was sloppy. I loved his solos in Street of Dreams, Better and This I Love.

Eddie Van Halen is way overrated I think, could he play, yeah. But he never did anything that really, I mean really stood out to me. Nowadays he's a prick and a shadow of his former self. Slash has talked about how the playing was sloppy on the live album as well. Musicians make mistakes live more often than not live. I'm glad to see a lot of love for Finck and his backing vocals as well, he really did a lot for the band. My main problem with Ashba is he seems so plastic compared to the other guitarists, his playing just sounds exactly like the studio recording, nothing even remotely special to it. In every solo that I've heard from him, he doesn't even try to make it special, he just plays what was written, with Finck you got something different everytime or heck any other guitarist in GNR period it at least differed. Also Ashba has the look that I really don't like, I loved how Finck changed his hairstyle every couple of years and made himself look different.

Edited by Musicman11

Sorry I hate to be the asshole to correct spelling but his last name is spelled Finck. Not Finick. One I. Moving on.

Oh shoot, Damn it. I'll make sure to edit some of the stuff here in a second. Thanks though. I have been calling it Finick for two years now, so now its Finck. How can I get the topic's name changed to the right spelling? Can the Mods help out or is there some way I can change it personally.

Edited by Musicman11

Sorry I hate to be the asshole to correct spelling but his last name is spelled Finck. Not Finick. One I. Moving on.

Oh shoot, Damn it. I'll make sure to edit some of the stuff here in a second. Thanks though. I have been calling it Finick for two years now, so now its Finck. How can I get the topic's name changed to the right spelling? Can the Mods help out or is there some way I can change it personally.

No problem! I think there's an option if you edit it the topic post. Took me awhile to find.

i really miss Robin, he was pretty awesome.

He really should come back and replace ashba

I couldn't agree more!

I saw GNR in 2006 and 2010. And Finck was the real soul of ChD's Guns N Roses. There was some special and unique band, with Ashba just another rock n roll band.

I forget he played on the record sometimes. after seeing them live I picture ashba doing opening riff.

I get where your coming from, but personally Finck's version from Rio in 2001 was the best I think, his guitar sound to me just had way more punch than Ashba's does for at least that song, Finck knew how to get that great industrial sound from his time in NIN. But it makes sense because a live performance is something that you tend to remember more and put certain songs with musicians because.... Well its putting a picture to the music more or less.

Also:

Finck does awesome hear, no questions asked.

Edited by Musicman11