Is anyone else saddened to see Estranged in the set

ssiscool

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not 1 bit, so far it's been the highlight to the 2011 concerts.

I would actually think this was a cupcake thread if it weren't for a mod being the op

I aggree 100%

Actually, I don't hear a difference between BBF and Slash solos. And seing a lot of GnR shows all over the years, Slash solos in these days were all over the place. I rather see this song played well, and without going everywhere! Bumblefoot and DJ are playing the song EXACTLY how it'S suppose to be played. I think if you think or hear otherwise, you must take 100$ of your bank account and take couple of music lessons!

And to be honest, I really don't care about $lash!

Edited by montrealrocks

I don't think they did Locomotive enough back in the day, and the current lineup would prob. do a great job with it. Pretty Tied Up would be another good one to hear from time to time. It's definitely possible they'll be doing more Illusions era songs this tour.

But people were making a big deal out of Estranged not being played live. It's a song that takes the place of 2 other songs that they could do. It came down to the fan demanding it and the band playing it. Axl seemed indifferent about it, it seemed more like "the band rehearsed it and you all think we should, so why not" attitude.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The instrumentals in 2011 on Estranged are superior to prior instances. The only difference would be a more capable Axl in previous presentations of the song. But with further practice that should change.

whose up for starting a campaign to bring back Double Talkin' Jive motherf*cker!

Campaigns are worthwhile for new songs; I don’t care for a “playing our best, more obscure songs” tour.

Oh look another original lineup crybaby. There's always gotta be a whiner that doesn't like a song being in the setlist. Just shut up and enjoy the music. What a bunch of delusional kids some of you are.

Edited by iftheworld

Okay so during Rock in Rio i was thrillied to see Guns N' Roses playing the Use Your Illusion II epic 'Estranged'. Just seeing it being brought out of the bag was brilliant. Coulden't of asked for anything else. Just Magic.

Now since that prefomance i have listened to Use Your Illusion II alot and everytime it gets to Estranged i always crank up the volume. But after hearing how it is played with Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt and Dizzy it doesn't seem so greeat at Rock In Rio, or any of the other shows. So i started listening to some live versions from 92. And the preformances of 2011 are missing something. I don't know what it is, but it's missing something.

To me, Estranged is a song of the Illusions lineup. Not this line up. This lineup can do so much better than the original band on some tracks. (Nightrain springs to mind here, Listen to Rock AM Ring 2006) But Estranged should of stayed in the vaults. By bringing this song back, people are going to want more stuff brought back. They will basicly want all the stuff from the Illusions brought back.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Axl is listening to the fans. But i think there are better songs to have brought back instead of Estranged and to see it played now in the way it is, is gutting for me personally. Anyone else feel the same?

I dedicate Civil War to the "Take Back Wall Street Protesters"

I catch your sentiment here and somewhat echo it. Given that GNR is 30 years old as a concept it has relatively small song catalogue. Given that this band has extreme potential its somewhat mystifying why it has continued to play a select group ie the greatist hits package now for well over 10 year.Money mainly because thats what sells and thats what is in demand..Always. Business is business.. Rock and Roll is entertainment. Entertainment is business.

CD leaked in various forms ..as early 2001...those songs from CD were bootlegs seconds after they hit the surface...Axl knows that any new song out there is bootlegged...so unless there is a new album shortly to hit the shelves...the new songs have to be kept wrapped up.Otherwise we have "CD2" being heard years ahead of the official release..

Many of us felt like the official release of CD was a contractual obligation anyways - with many of the "old" bootlegged songs in studio form comprising THE album and certainly not the intention of the artist or the final product we got. Axl himself said " were playing songs were thinking of NOT putting out on the Album"

Is it possible.. since those songs were already compromised by being played and leaked in demo form that the record company threw in the towel and said "get it out NOW! Is it possible that the beloved CD is actually in potential really just another "Lies/ Spagehetti Incident?"

I for one think "Estranged" is a brilliant add to this setlist...and they seem to have done it justice these last two shows. Had classic GNR continued to write that way they just might have warded off years of the "Seattle sound" shit

Ok..since it appears that were not going to be getting new songs played live anytime soon- then dig into the more complex songs like COMA and CIVIL WAR...because this band can play those songs..they are more sophisticated than the AFD set and more substantial in their presentation. While I love AFD and every song has its memory...NT and Its So Easy and some of them seem...well they were anthems of 20 year old street urchins...For myself I would like to see less the emphasis on nostalgia and the move into the future of GNR and its sounds. I maintain that this band is being held back and being done a disservice every year that they continue to play someone elses music and that includes Fincks and BH's contributions on the whole.

They played the fuck out of Estranged in Chile and again last night. People with no lives just like to complain because they have nothing better to do so they sit here and judge and feed off of others success and happiness. It's pathetic.

Edited by iftheworld

You can't bitch about this song without bitching about SCOM and other songs. Estranged is no more Illusion era guns than everything off of Appetite is that era. This song is no different than every other. Get used to it and enjoy the fact you get to hear it. I can't believe people would complain about hearing this song. I personally think they make Patience sound pretty terrible ever since I've heard it. Then need to play it more like the actual cd. Even the old guns was pretty about grooving that song right.

Edited by Ak1nney

I think from the piano solo onwards it sounds better than it ever did live on the Illusions tour. It sounds a lot more full, probably due to there being an extra guitarist as opposed to just two (Slash and either Izzy or Gilby), especially since Izzy's and Gilby's guitars usually sounded very low or dull in the live mix on the Illusions tour. Mother Goose also seems to add a bit to it in terms of overall sound. I get this impression from the YouTube videos, so live I imagine it's even better - it must sound HUGE.

Ron has a great feel for the parts, even though his tone is quite a bit different. I like that though, because it IS different, not just copying Slash. Had DJ done all the parts I get the feeling that even if it sounded more like Slash (closer tone, anyways), then more people would be complaining about him being a Slash-clone and so on. I was happy while watching Rio to see Ron covers most of the song in terms of Slash's parts, but DJ does at least get the one solo.

Overall - the studio version is amazing, live it was good between '91-'93, and it's good in 2011. It's just a damn good song!

Okay so during Rock in Rio i was thrillied to see Guns N' Roses playing the Use Your Illusion II epic 'Estranged'. Just seeing it being brought out of the bag was brilliant. Coulden't of asked for anything else. Just Magic.

Now since that prefomance i have listened to Use Your Illusion II alot and everytime it gets to Estranged i always crank up the volume. But after hearing how it is played with Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt and Dizzy it doesn't seem so greeat at Rock In Rio, or any of the other shows. So i started listening to some live versions from 92. And the preformances of 2011 are missing something. I don't know what it is, but it's missing something.

To me, Estranged is a song of the Illusions lineup. Not this line up. This lineup can do so much better than the original band on some tracks. (Nightrain springs to mind here, Listen to Rock AM Ring 2006) But Estranged should of stayed in the vaults. By bringing this song back, people are going to want more stuff brought back. They will basicly want all the stuff from the Illusions brought back.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Axl is listening to the fans. But i think there are better songs to have brought back instead of Estranged and to see it played now in the way it is, is gutting for me personally. Anyone else feel the same?

I understand your premise and accept what you are trying to communicate, however, I also respectfully disagree to a degree.

For me, there is a deeper significance to Estranged being performed. Now of course there are lots of Guns' songs which have prophetic or symbolic lyrics, but I think in this case, the choice to perform Estranged speaks to the profound vibe within the song. I could be totally wrong, but for me, them performing Estranged doesn't necessarily lead to a slippery slope of wanting more Illusions' stuff performed; rather it makes me ponder why they are choosing to play it. It is that pondering of why that carries the most meaning for me, and lends a certain special emphasis to the song. Of course I could just be totally misreading the situation. But when Axl wrote those lyrics, he was speaking from his soul. So when he chooses to perform it, there has to be something more than appeasing the fans at work here. Who knows, but I must say Ron's guitar tone and timing is dead-on, and even though Axl's vocals could use a little polish, there is a sincerity to his delivery that more than compensates for any latent rust.

I understand your premise and accept what you are trying to communicate, however, I also respectfully disagree to a degree.

For me, there is a deeper significance to Estranged being performed. Now of course there are lots of Guns' songs which have prophetic or symbolic lyrics, but I think in this case, the choice to perform Estranged speaks to the profound vibe within the song. I could be totally wrong, but for me, them performing Estranged doesn't necessarily lead to a slippery slope of wanting more Illusions' stuff performed; rather it makes me ponder why they are choosing to play it. It is that pondering of why that carries the most meaning for me, and lends a certain special emphasis to the song. Of course I could just be totally misreading the situation. But when Axl wrote those lyrics, he was speaking from his soul. So when he chooses to perform it, there has to be something more than appeasing the fans at work here. Who knows, but I must say Ron's guitar tone and timing is dead-on, and even though Axl's vocals could use a little polish, there is a sincerity to his delivery that more than compensates for any latent rust.

I didn't think that the new band would ever play it. The controlled feedback is something that Slash did in a way that can't be duplicated by anyone else. I used to think that maybe Bucket was a weird enough of a guitar Player to maybe take a stab at it. I do think Ron had a good tone for it. All in all it sounded good, but the controlled feedback for the whole song is going to very hard for anyone else to do like Slash did it. Every great guitar player is going to be able to do something that no one else can do. Ron can do many things that Slash could never do. I still think the band did a good job on it. The fans love it and it's one of GNR's best songs. I just thought Axl would never play that song with the new band because there is so much of Slash's presence on it and that maybe it would be too emotional for Axl to do it? Also when Slash left the band I told Axl he would never be able to play that song again with out Slash. Looks like I was wrong.

I think they've really done a superb job with it, but it shouldn't be a staple on the set list. I've never been a huge fan of it, it's not in my top 25 GNR songs even. I think it's cool that they brought it back for the fans, but at this point, I'm way more interested in any post-"Oh My God" material. The old stuff has been done to death...

I didn't think that the new band would ever play it. The controlled feedback is something that Slash did in a way that can't be duplicated by anyone else. I used to think that maybe Bucket was a weird enough of a guitar Player to maybe take a stab at it. I do think Ron had a good tone for it. All in all it sounded good, but the controlled feedback for the whole song is going to very hard for anyone else to do like Slash did it. Every great guitar player is going to be able to do something that no one else can do. Ron can do many things that Slash could never do. I still think the band did a good job on it. The fans love it and it's one of GNR's best songs. I just thought Axl would never play that song with the new band because there is so much of Slash's presence on it and that maybe it would be too emotional for Axl to do it? Also when Slash left the band I told Axl he would never be able to play that song again with out Slash. Looks like I was wrong.

I feel the same way, I didn't know if the new guitarists could pull the song off. I am glad the song is being performed and it really does sound great, but you can tell that the "magical" guitar tone isn't there -I'm not trying to knock the new guys but it just isn't there