Is anyone else saddened to see Estranged in the set

ssiscool

Yes I was saddened to hear/see the new guys play this. Something was missing. Slash. Duff, Izzy, Matt.... You can argue all you want what great musicians these "nu" guys are and how superior they are to the real guys all you want but you can't duplicate feel or attitude. On that note, why don't we find the 4 best musicans we can, search the earth as many times over as it takes... when we all can agree we found the 4 best musicians in the world we'll call them The Beatles. It would be the real Beatles cause they would be all be superior musicans and could play the solos better.

After a song is a decade or two old and players with decades more experience come and play a song faster or in a more complicated way: That's when we know we got GNR.

ok, enough sarcasm.

Yes Don't Cry was border line but now I truely know that nothing is sacred to Axl :(

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first heard it from Rock in Rio I thought of nothing but Slash. It reeks of Slash's essence.

I don't think it has the same feel as the '92 era band playing it, but then again (IMO) nothing they've

done does. But I enjoy hearing the song again. It's not the same, but I enjoy hearing Axl sing it again.

I am saddened by the fact that such an awesome band, refuses to release new songs to the public. Or play them in concert. Or even talk about them.

As for seeing Estranged in the set, fuck no. One of the silliest thread topics I've ever seen. It's great that Axl decided to do this, and the performances have all been fan-tas-tic. It is my favourite song of all time, and it's a beautiful thing to see it performed live after all these years.

Edited by axlsalinger

The new band plays the song superbly. Estranged is no more "sacred ground" than Rocket Queen, SCOM, or Patience. Easily one of GN'R's best tracks, and so far the new band's renditions have been fantastic.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be glad to have it back as a staple. As far as I'm concerned, they can put November Rain out to pasture for a little while and stick Estranged in its place.

Get in the Ring would be awesome.

Was it ever performed live?

Imagine how the band feels, it makes me laugh if they played new songs the prats here would be saying ' i want civil war , this band is shit' PATHETIC, Just enjoy the music !

Is that so weird? After playing the same songs for like 100 concerts one might imagine they would be happy to get some good suggestions. Civil War would be awesome. I.e. the ISE/CW ratio is ridiculous.

Edited by Changes

There isn't an old gnr song that this band plays better than the old band. There isn't an old GNR song that Axl sings better now than old Axl. It is what it is.

I would have to disagree with you. I would say nearly EVERY song they play, technically, they play better than the old band. I can't really even bring myself to listen to much of the old live stuff because it sounds like weak and flat. The current band makes everything sound so much fuller and meatier.

another good opportunity to beg the question...

whose up for starting a campaign to bring back Double Talkin' Jive motherf*cker!

fuck that!

double talking is the lamest track on illusions it's like they couldn't come up with anymore lyrics so they just released what was done.

I want new songs

Kid Rock plays his new shit b4 the album comes out that gets people talking about a new album thumbsup.gif

to me whats missing is the Matt Sorum feel. A lot of people will disagree with me but I think his fills are important to the song. That plus I just don't like Frank much

Matt's a fag and Frank shits all over his stuff look/listen to You could be mine ! Frank rules!

Even Axl said he hates the drumming on Illusions thumbsup.gif

I think the song feels like an Axl/Slash song along with Coma, more than any other Guns tracks. It's them both at there best.

Like many others I don't think it was ever one of the best performed tracks from the "Use Your Illusion", but the fact it is it's an amazing special song that represents Axl at his best and if I was at one of these shows I'd want to hear it more than even something great like "Nightrain" or "Sweet Child O' Mine".

Listen to the crowd's reaction at those shows to the song, I think it should be a staple.

Edited by AtariLegend

another good opportunity to beg the question...

whose up for starting a campaign to bring back Double Talkin' Jive motherf*cker!

fuck that!

double talking is the lamest track on illusions it's like they couldn't come up with anymore lyrics so they just released what was done.

I want new songs

Kid Rock plays his new shit b4 the album comes out that gets people talking about a new album thumbsup.gif

to me whats missing is the Matt Sorum feel. A lot of people will disagree with me but I think his fills are important to the song. That plus I just don't like Frank much

Matt's a fag and Frank shits all over his stuff look/listen to You could be mine ! Frank rules!

Even Axl said he hates the drumming on Illusions thumbsup.gif

Homophobic slurs because you don't like his drumming......wow. Forum rules are no longer enforced. Sad.

Unles you attend every single concert I don't understand commenting on the setlist. 99.9% of the people at these concerts don't give GnR a second thought during their daily lives. If they purchase a ticket to see GnR they want to see Jungle, PC, SCOM, NR, Patience, and the hits. I think most people own Appetite and the Illusions and would love to hear Estranged. Personally, not seeing Estranged play in 20 years I would hope its staple in the set before any new stuff that I have no idea what is coming. Save the new stuff to get rid of ACDC covers. Please.......be thankful Estranged is in the setlist and is making Axl happy. Hopefully Civile Way and many others start to get played as well. So I can see them when I go to a live event and not written on a piece of paper (i,e, message board).

Unles you attend every single concert I don't understand commenting on the setlist. 99.9% of the people at these concerts don't give GnR a second thought during their daily lives. If they purchase a ticket to see GnR they want to see Jungle, PC, SCOM, NR, Patience, and the hits. I think most people own Appetite and the Illusions and would love to hear Estranged. Personally, not seeing Estranged play in 20 years I would hope its staple in the set before any new stuff that I have no idea what is coming. Save the new stuff to get rid of ACDC covers. Please.......be thankful Estranged is in the setlist and is making Axl happy. Hopefully Civile Way and many others start to get played as well. So I can see them when I go to a live event and not written on a piece of paper (i,e, message board).

Why should you have to attend every single concert to be able to comment on the setlist? It's not possible for starters

I like the old songs but the Chinese Democracy tour has been going for ten years it's time for CD 2 + CD 3

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

slash brought nice guitar licks on that song but I reaaaaaaly don't think axl should avoid playing it since it's 100% AXL song that means/meant a lot to axl. way to go ax! play your songs.

slash brought nice guitar licks on that song but I reaaaaaaly don't think axl should avoid playing it since it's 100% AXL song that means/meant a lot to axl. way to go ax! play your songs.

Agreed. Slash was all over November Rain as well, but it still is, like Estranged, an Axl song and imo should be played.

Besides, any song they want to play they should. It's not like the old live performances and studio albums are going anywhere.

I'm glad that the band does justice to such a classic and I hope they bring back others like Civil War in the future. (Slash brought it back with Miles singing, so why not?)

New songs are always a top priority for me, but I don't expect any anytime soon, at least not without a plan to release cd2.

The best I can realistically hope for is Oh My God being brought back to the live set.

Edited by Rovim

There isn't an old gnr song that this band plays better than the old band. There isn't an old GNR song that Axl sings better now than old Axl. It is what it is.

I would have to disagree with you. I would say nearly EVERY song they play, technically, they play better than the old band. I can't really even bring myself to listen to much of the old live stuff because it sounds like weak and flat. The current band makes everything sound so much fuller and meatier.

You are in the minority. A very small minority.

Edited by SWINGTRADER

When I first heard it from Rock in Rio I thought of nothing but Slash. It reeks of Slash's essence.

I don't think it has the same feel as the '92 era band playing it, but then again (IMO) nothing they've

done does. But I enjoy hearing the song again. It's not the same, but I enjoy hearing Axl sing it again.

There's a lot to be said over band dynamics and personalities.