Is anyone else saddened to see Estranged in the set

ssiscool

Okay so during Rock in Rio i was thrillied to see Guns N' Roses playing the Use Your Illusion II epic 'Estranged'. Just seeing it being brought out of the bag was brilliant. Coulden't of asked for anything else. Just Magic.

Now since that prefomance i have listened to Use Your Illusion II alot and everytime it gets to Estranged i always crank up the volume. But after hearing how it is played with Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt and Dizzy it doesn't seem so greeat at Rock In Rio, or any of the other shows. So i started listening to some live versions from 92. And the preformances of 2011 are missing something. I don't know what it is, but it's missing something.

To me, Estranged is a song of the Illusions lineup. Not this line up. This lineup can do so much better than the original band on some tracks. (Nightrain springs to mind here, Listen to Rock AM Ring 2006) But Estranged should of stayed in the vaults. By bringing this song back, people are going to want more stuff brought back. They will basicly want all the stuff from the Illusions brought back.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Axl is listening to the fans. But i think there are better songs to have brought back instead of Estranged and to see it played now in the way it is, is gutting for me personally. Anyone else feel the same?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Estranged is 100% Illusion line-up material. Only Slash can play this song as it should be played.

Ron does an ok job of covering it. Why have Dj Ash cover one small part towards the end ? - best leave it all to Ron..

Edited by star

Okay so during Rock in Rio i was thrillied to see Guns N' Roses playing the Use Your Illusion II epic 'Estranged'. Just seeing it being brought out of the bag was brilliant. Coulden't of asked for anything else. Just Magic.

Now since that prefomance i have listened to Use Your Illusion II alot and everytime it gets to Estranged i always crank up the volume. But after hearing how it is played with Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Matt and Dizzy it doesn't seem so greeat at Rock In Rio, or any of the other shows. So i started listening to some live versions from 92. And the preformances of 2011 are missing something. I don't know what it is, but it's missing something.

To me, Estranged is a song of the Illusions lineup. Not this line up. This lineup can do so much better than the original band on some tracks. (Nightrain springs to mind here, Listen to Rock AM Ring 2006) But Estranged should of stayed in the vaults. By bringing this song back, people are going to want more stuff brought back. They will basicly want all the stuff from the Illusions brought back.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Axl is listening to the fans. But i think there are better songs to have brought back instead of Estranged and to see it played now in the way it is, is gutting for me personally. Anyone else feel the same?

It'll probably feel this way anytime a song that symbolized an era is brought back by a group of strangers (well... ex-Axl who at least wrote the song)

I felt this way when I heard Axl and co. started to perform Don't Cry beyond just the instrumentals (which formerly I thought was appropriate as a tribute).

Is anyone else saddened to see Estranged in the set

I'm more saddened that they don't play new songs in combination with some old Illusion songs like Yesterdays, Civil War, Pretty Tied Up, Dead Horse, Bad Apples, Bad Obsession,... I mean, they've been touring this setlist for 2 years now. Bring in something different goddamnit!

Guest gunns5

No not 1 bit, so far it's been the highlight to the 2011 concerts.

I would actually think this was a cupcake thread if it weren't for a mod being the op

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I don't know what it is, but it's missing something.

They’re not going to have the same sincerity playing somebody else’s song. That’s what’s missing; but the performances of the song are nonetheless great.

I would agree however that Estranged shouldn’t be a staple.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

No I like estranged in the set but think its time to introduce new as in NEW TRACKS

Exactly – an old gem doesn’t compensate for the lack of new songs.

Guest gunns5

What is most frustrating is that they play new covers and rehearse them instead of playing new songs.

I think everyone here would want two new songs and not just going down + riff raff

Axl hasn't been as good on it as in 1992 (yet), but the band is better. Ron's tone and feel is much closer to the album version than Slash ever got live. It never sounded quite right with the old band. I'm not sure if technology makes it easier or what, but Ron more than does it justice.

Axl hasn't been as good on it as in 1992 (yet), but the band is better. Ron's tone and feel is much closer to the album version than Slash ever got live. It never sounded quite right with the old band. I'm not sure if technology makes it easier or what, but Ron more than does it justice.

See I aggree Ron can get the tone, but not the feel for the song. And Slash always seemed to have the right sound. The Only bit i don't like of Slash's playing is the bit just before the second solo where he makes the dolphoin sounds

I'm still really excited they're playing it. It's my favorite song of all time, and I never imagined I'd get to hear it live. I do think the current band plays it on par with the old band, and Ron is really shining on it. That being said, I've been listening to the Illusions a lot again lately, and I still have the belief that no live version can match the studio version.

I'm still really excited they're playing it. It's my favorite song of all time, and I never imagined I'd get to hear it live. I do think the current band plays it on par with the old band, and Ron is really shining on it. That being said, I've been listening to the Illusions a lot again lately, and I still have the belief that no live version can match the studio version.

I dont think any live version can match the studio Nov Rain either but, i still love to hear alternate versions if im in the mood for smth abit different. Same with Estranged really.

Two words.

CIVIL WAR

I think they did a great job playing Estranged. From Ron to Tommy, to DJ to Frank... everybody must've rehearsed a lot before playing... 'cause even in Rock in Rio, they nailed it instrumentally. I don't think there's any problem about playing Estranged. I always pictured it as an Axl song 100%. If they can play SCOM and PC, they can play Estranged. I doesn't get more 'Slash' than SCOM and PC.