1999 Catcher Demo

rumandraisin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian May's solo was amazing.

My favorite part is the whole, "You decide," verse. "As I'm imaginiiiiing it to be" is just magical.

I prefer the final cut, but Brian's solo > Bumblefoot's.

Axl said that Ron's solo was derived from May's and I can kinda hear it. To me both approaches fit, but in different ways.

The 'crazyness' of Bumble's solo as someone said earlier in this thread reflects nicely the crazy nature of the song, and the solo is very energetic and dramatic in contrast to the more lyrical, melodic and tastefull May's solo.

The studio version still works, the changes made in the song didn't ruin anything for me, but both versions contain negative and possitive qualities.

I wonder if we'll ever hear May's work in Atlas Shrugged. Really interested in that after hearing his playing could work so well in a Gn'R song like Catcher.

Edited by Rovim

Guest ben9785

I've talked to people that have heard the Buckethead version and Bumblefoot has basically ruined it :thumbsdown:

Oh, I would be interested to hear Buckethead's take on the solo.. Too bad it hasn't been shared. At least the demo came out though..

Edited by ben9785

Brian May's solo was amazing.

My favorite part is the whole, "You decide," verse. "As I'm imaginiiiiing it to be" is just magical.

I prefer the final cut, but Brian's solo > Bumblefoot's.

Axl said that Ron's solo was derived from May's and I can kinda hear it. To me both approaches fit, but in different ways.

The 'crazyness' of Bumble's solo as someone said earlier in this thread reflects nicely the crazy nature of the song, and the solo is very energetic and dramatic in contrast to the more lyrical, melodic and tastefull May's solo.

The studio version still works, the changes made in the song didn't ruin anything for me, but both versions contain negative and possitive qualities.

I wonder if we'll ever hear May's work in Atlas Shrugged. Really interested in that after hearing his playing could work so well in a Gn'R song like Catcher.

Bumble's solo is great; May's is just better in my opinion.

Guest ben9785

Thanks Birk

Are there two demo versions of this song?

I have a 'demo' version of it as well which is similar although I noticed a few small differences; in this version Birk posted, the little melodic fill at the 2.02 mark here sounds like synth/strings (similar to the album version), whereas the demo I have has the Buckethead guitar/echo effects more prominent. Also the piano in this version is a little clearer/louder (not as muddy) and the overall tempo seems to be a bit slower..

Edited by ben9785

Thanks Birk

I have a 'demo' version of it as well which is similar although I noticed a few small differences; in this version Birk posted, the little melodic fill at the 2.02 mark here sounds like synth/strings (similar to the album version), whereas the demo I have has the Buckethead guitar/echo effects more prominent. Also the piano in this version is a little clearer/louder (not as muddy) and the overall tempo seems to be a bit slower..

I think what you are hearing are just fans trying to "improve" the sound quality of the same demo by applying their own form of EQ to it

The only thing that's superior imo in the demo is the drumming. It's higher in the mix which adds so much more. The solo is a preference call and I think both are great so neither takes away from the other.

Edited by Nintari

Guest ben9785

Thanks Birk

I think what you are hearing are just fans trying to "improve" the sound quality of the same demo by applying their own form of EQ to it

Yeah I thought that could be the case but it sounds like individual instrument tracks are a little different, e.g. piano has more reverb, the background vocals are a little higher.. Unless it was done through pro tools or higher end software like that. Never mind, thanks anyway.

Bull-fucking-shit. I'm not saying Bucket didn't play on the track but there's no Bucket on the demo. I've never heard about a Catcher demo with Bucket playing lead... that's certainly a lie. Anyway I'm glad Axl did chose Ron because it's my fav GnR song ever and the outro is GnR's finest moment to me by a fuckin' mile.

Guest ben9785

Bull-fucking-shit. I'm not saying Bucket didn't play on the track but there's no Bucket on the demo. I've never heard about a Catcher demo with Bucket playing lead... that's certainly a lie. Anyway I'm glad Axl did chose Ron because it's my fav GnR song ever and the outro is GnR's finest moment to me by a fuckin' mile.

In my post I was suggesting was that some parts of the guitar work on the demo sounded like an echo/guitar effect that Buckethead would do.

Otherwise the other comment in relation to Buckethead was speculation as to whether he may at some point had attempted a solo on a version of "Catcher".

Edited by ben9785

In my post I was suggesting was that some parts of the guitar work on the demo sounded like an echo/guitar effect that Buckethead would do.

Otherwise the other comment in relation to Buckethead was speculation as to whether he may at some point had attempted a solo on a version of "Catcher".

It's ok, my post wasn't directed to you - I was talking to people claiming that there's a Bucket version out there which obviously is a lie.

^ I don't believe a Buckethead demo exist either and I have no source to claim that. Its just because people here are always dissing Ron, saying how Buckehtead's work were always far better. From what I heard on Riad, I very much doubt Axl would replace any Buckethead work if it wasn't just that good to begin with.

And well, I love Bucket's work, but I can't stand his repetitive licks over and over. See what I meant:

The demo is a classic piece of music. I love it. I also love the final version, it's just different. Thing I can never pick out, if I remember correctly, it's credits both Ron and Robin for guitar solos in 'Catcher', but it all sounds like Ron to me. I know Ron plays the main solo but I assumed maybe Robin is playing some of the outro somewhere but I could never pick it out...?

Listen to both the demo and the album version, you'll notice some leads are the same: before the 1st chorus and during it, right after the main solo and before the 2nd chorus.

Also, the demo version had an awesome rhythm guitar by Robin at the ending. It starts when Axl sings "Who cares to be... not like you, unlike me" and goes along with Brian May's ending solo, that starts when he sings "You are the instrument...".

^Uh, how can you be so sure it's obviously a lie?

Because I've never seen anyone mentioning it before and all of sudden there's a demo with Buckethead playing lead out there? Please. We've seen this kind of lie countless times. I never said it *IS* a lie in fact, but I highly doubt it exists.

I miss Pitmans synth bridge before the 'nana nananaas" from the Demo version. I actually kinda miss that more than Mays solo especially now that I've gotten into Rons solo more.