Guns N' Roses: 28th October Orlando, Florida, USA @ Amway Center UPDATE Thread

Guest Gunns

Also, just finished watching Sweet Chiild. Man, DJ botched the solo - the haters are going to have a field day with that. We'll all just have to politely remind them that Rock in Rio 1991 (the first night) was equally botched. ;)

And he didn't even play the "hard" part! Cmon DJ stop making Ron carry your water for you.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This show kicked ass. Axl sounds great! I was in front row all night having a blast. How anyone can speak negatively about any of this show is absurd.

highlights include all songs where you can hear axls voice best... This I love was amazing, and I didnt even really care to hear it beforehand. Lald screams were ferocious, axl was happy and lively throughout whole performance. They fucked up on estranged opening about 4 times, axl was like "how can't we be getting this fucking get it right?" to frank. Axl said it's great to be back in the US! Also ranted and dedicated kohd to his gma. End of 3 hour blistering set he got on mic thanking crowd said "I've seen some of you fuckers last time... Love you thanks." just a great show. Ashba threw a bottle at some guys face in front row which was hilarious .he threw an open monster drink at a fan that exploded all over! I caught a guitar pick of his. Band was crowd friendly. They read signs and react to crowd!response. Can't speak enough about axls legendary presence. Awesome show! They are worth wait and $.

You guys bitching about setlists have no idea how truly awesome this show was.

But just to give you something, a couple of jams late in the show were songs I have never heard GNR play... don't know what they were, but they were full song, full band instrumentals.

so people who attended said the show was awesome. ..but people who didn't go are the ones complaining about the set list and axls voice? Makes perfect sense.

This show kicked ass. Axl sounds great! I was in front row all night having a blast. How anyone can speak negatively about any of this show is absurd.

highlights include all songs where you can hear axls voice best... This I love was amazing, and I didnt even really care to hear it beforehand. Lald screams were ferocious, axl was happy and lively throughout whole performance. They fucked up on estranged opening about 4 times, axl was like "how can't we be getting this fucking get it right?" to frank. Axl said it's great to be back in the US! Also ranted and dedicated kohd to his gma. End of 3 hour blistering set he got on mic thanking crowd said "I've seen some of you fuckers last time... Love you thanks." just a great show. Ashba threw a bottle at some guys face in front row which was hilarious .he threw an open monster drink at a fan that exploded all over! I caught a guitar pick of his. Band was crowd friendly. They read signs and react to crowd!response. Can't speak enough about axls legendary presence. Awesome show! They are worth wait and $.

Awesome, glad you had a good time! Hopefully a video of Estranged surfaces soon, I'll be anxious to see that.

The show was fantastic. Buck Cherry had good energy but I just didn't like the music. It sounded bland and would have been better in a smaller club setting. The 1 1/2 hour wait for GNR wasn't bad, it gave us time to smoke, eat and get a couple drinks. A small amount of 'booing' started towards the end of the wait but it wasn't extreem. The wait didn't bother me at all. GNR came on about 11:30 for an amazing 3 hour set.

The acoustics were not the best and Axl's vocals were too far down in the mix at first but that was fixed pretty fast. The band sounded great, Axl's voice was spot on. He had plenty of rasp and the screams were all fantastic. He didn't seem to be winded at all after the scream in WWTJ or other screams (The ones in LALD were intense!) he nailed SCOM etc... over-all vocals were just fantastic.

Axl smiled and spoke a lot, he was very interactive with the band and crowd and seemed in an over-all very happy mood.

There were plenty of empty seats and all pics showing the place looking packed are from a particuliar angle. The FRONT was packed but anyone saying the place was sold-out or even 95% capacity are in dreamland. There was one section that had 6 people in it the entire time and the floor, at BEST, was half full:

gnr.JPG

There were two guys I saw dressed as Slash. One of them was in the hall on club level saying "fuck Axl" over and over. He was doing it to be funny but probably a good thing Axl didn't see him.

The venue is nice, not great acoustics but very comfortable with plenty of helpful staff. There is a nice bar on the club-level floor but expensive (Double shot of Jack on ice = $23 plus tip) They did heard all the smokers into a cattle-pen style area during the break if you wanted to smoke but finally, during the main show, some peeps started smoking in the concert hall, same time you started smelling the weed come out.

I thought the crowd (barring the ones right up front in the GA section) were very mild. There was one fight between a couple girls that resulted in several people leaving but everyone else, from my view, were pretty tame.

Over-all, I was very pleased with the show and am glad to say that I was most impressed with Axl's vocals and interaction/attitude during the performance, he was spot-on. Anyone in attendance at this show was lucky to see it. At the end, Axl thanked everyone, told us to be safe getting home "hope to see you again, I saw some of you fuckers last time" He seemed happy with the show as well: http://mcallister-productions.com/gnr/gnr.MOV

Edited by mcalldp

Glad you had a good time! How long did you wait in the GA line to get as close as you did?

You guys bitching about setlists have no idea how truly awesome this show was.

But just to give you something, a couple of jams late in the show were songs I have never heard GNR play... don't know what they were, but they were full song, full band instrumentals.

so people who attended said the show was awesome. ..but people who didn't go are the ones complaining about the set list and axls voice? Makes perfect sense.

Like always.

He sounds pretty good on the clips I have watched. I wonder why he doesn't rasp Paradise City, I know he could if he wanted.

The end of the show, probably worn out by then and it's not worth risking your voice for the upcoming shows to put the extra rasp in.

Other bits:

• Mother-Goose fell over, nobody else see that? It was close to when axl did introductions. Goose took a quick tumble to the ground.
  • Axl threw his mic stand back and hit the LCD curtian and staff had to run out to fix it
  • The start of Estranged messed up, Axl speaks to Frank (sounded like, "we gonna hit this tonight? on the count of three...") This took nothing away from the song!
  • Axl dedicated KNOHD to his granmother who passed recently "At the the ripe old age of 95" and continues to tell a little story about her calling him her problem child.
  • A stupid amount of people left in order to beat traffic BEFORE GNR came back with PC, what a loss for them!
  • The bum at the underpass on the way out asking for money had a brand new Blackberry plugged into the public socket charging it ha ha ha

Edited by mcalldp

Other bits:

• Mother-Goose fell over, nobody else see that? It was close to when axl did introductions. Goose took a quick tumble to the ground.
  • Axl threw his mic stand back and hit the LCD curtian and staff had to run out to fix it
  • The start of Estranged messed up, Axl speaks to Frank (sounded like, "we gonna hit this tonight? on the count of three...") This took nothing away from the song!
  • Axl dedicated KNOHD to his granmother who passed recently "At the the ripe old age of 95" and continues to tell a little story about her calling him her problem child.
  • A stupid amount of people left in order to beat traffic BEFORE GNR came back with PC, what a loss for them!
  • The bum at the underpass on the way out asking for money had a brand new Blackberry plugged into the public socket charging it ha ha ha

Should have played problem child instead of Riff Raff or Rosie if he has to play 2 acdc covers.

I have to admit I went to the show because I was invited. I was a fan of GNR back when november rain, knocking on heavens door, live and let die, etc. came out, just as almost everyone else was. But, I haven’t followed the band for pretty much the pastdecade, and only heard the harsh criticisms of Axl throughout the whole time, even watched a couple of years ago a supposed comeback at an mtv show that was kind of hard to watch, so my expectations for last night’s show were kind of neutral. I have to say I was blown away. Not only did Axl impressed me with the stamina and showmanship to carry a three hour show, but the whole production was impeccable. I had VIP passes that gave me access to the backstage area that only proved how massive the production was. Lights, pyrotechnics, led screens throughout, huge stage, out was all impressive. And then threre’s the sound. The show sounded amazing. And I ready mean amazing. The massive walls of speakers really showcased the quality of the musicians. Three guitarists who were just jaw dropping, specially DJ Ashba (?) who showed a natural rockstar charisma that I’m pretty sure won him a few new fans, but all three were just stellar. I’m not sure if they are no-names like the article said, but if they are it won’t be for long. The drummer was first rate, and with the quality of the sound his thumping was really felt. In general the show delivered, even if we had to wait for Axl to take the stage, he did not leave it four three hours, and that’s just crazy. Either way it’s rock and roll, at least he got onstage, right?

Nice review :thumbsup:

got back home from Miami at 7am. GREAT FUCKING SHOW!!! The set list was pretty standard but I had no problems with it at all. Watching youtube videos doesn't do it justice no matter how much you know the set list. My buddies and I were about three-four people away from the rail. Richard is a monster and I couldn't stop watching him. It was insane seeing Tommy so close because im a huge fan, and those faces he makes are hilarious. Frank messed up the intro to Estranged and Axl said "are you gonna bash on that thing all night?" Axl and Tommy were having a blast teasing each other all night. Im not gonna lie, I was waiting for the show to be over because I was dehydrated and tired as fuck. It didn't stop be from enjoying the end though. All in all a great fucking show and tonight is round 2!

edit: after Better, Axl said something like "that was for Entertainment Weekly." That was interesting. Don't know if its related but there was a hot fucking blonde taking pictures of the band all night

Edited by hitmanhart408

Who else is sick of hearing the words Micky-Mouse and Rasp?

I prefer the phrase "scratchety overtones" to "rasp."

;)

I always thought the mickey mouse reference was off: "helium axl" is more apt, and less kindergarten sounding. Although, all joking aside, helium axl doesn't bother me as much as it does some people. Axl smoked for years- his voice is in much better shape than it should be, and for that, I am ever so grateful.

I know the vocal cords aren't necessarily "muscles," but as with anything else, he's gotta build em up properly in order to bring the scratchety overtone goodness we all know and love.