Band should give Chinese Democracy to concert goers

DizzyReed63

Best Buy has yanked all of their copies of Chinese Democracy. So where the hell do people who go see the band on the US tour go to buy the album, besides iTunes?

Made me think of this idea:

The band should hand out the record to each concert-goer as they enter or leave the arena. One w/ the correct artwork, etc. Maybe even an elusive bonus track.

Prince did this back in 2005 with Musicology.

Or else, put the album back in stores for christ-sake!

I'm sure there's some reason the album currently isn't available in stores, whatever that may be. Giving the album away would be counter-productive, no one would buy it given the opportunity if that was the case.

In all likelihood though, anyone going to a show that wanted CD probably already has it...

I'm sure there's some reason the album currently isn't available in stores, whatever that may be. Giving the album away would be counter-productive, no one would buy it given the opportunity if that was the case.

In all likelihood though, anyone going to a show that wanted CD probably already has it...

Alot of bands do this because most of their money is made touring. A band only makes, what...2 dollars at the most off each record sold? And in this case, it's not like CD is the #1 selling album in the country. Giving away free copies to 10,000 people a night is great promotion imo and won't really hurt their bottom line all that much.

Edited by Nintari

Doesn't Best Buy keep a copy or 2 along with AFD, UYI etc like most other record stores ?

If its true, maybe the original issue CD's are nearing the end.

To get a good deal, an order for x amount would have to be placed.

What the numbers are I donot know. Maybe someone is dealing with it at the moment.

As and when the re issue arrives, will the fix the booklet errors ?

It would be cool if GNR offered a download code with each ticket purchase for a Live EP of selected tracks from the past couple of years or so. As for giving away an official studio release I don't know about that

Edited by WhazUp

Wasn't the Best Buy exclusive period done over a year ago. I think the album is available everywhere. You can buy it at amazon.com at least..

Chinese Democracy was reissued on March 2, 2010 with a new SKU that could be ordered by all merchants.

That version is now out of print as well. Amazon hasn't had the 2010 version on CD for a while. They recently had 1 copy left on vinyl, but I bought it because I thought it was funny.

What you're probably seeing on amazon.com is sellers listing copies they bought at Best Buy for $1.99 and Amazon is fulfilling the orders.

Part of the reason the album sold so quickly at $1.99 was because online sellers were buying up every copy they could find knowing they could sell them for more when they were all gone.

So a second re issue is in the works ?

Or will they wait in hope the US tour will create some interest to warrent printing again ?

Wasn't the Best Buy exclusive period done over a year ago. I think the album is available everywhere. You can buy it at amazon.com at least..

Chinese Democracy was reissued on March 2, 2010 with a new SKU that could be ordered by all merchants.

Was it any different from the first print?

Best Buy has yanked all of their copies of Chinese Democracy. So where the hell do people who go see the band on the US tour go to buy the album, besides iTunes?

The band should hand out the record to each concert-goer as they enter or leave the arena. One w/ the correct artwork, etc. Maybe even an elusive bonus track.

Prince was trying everything out over the past decade and got frustrated with it all. The last release was included with the copy of a UK paper. They cut the check, and he prob. made more money doing it that way, than trying to stock stores with his discs. Anyone trying to get all his legally released stuff would have a difficult time trying to get it all. Neil Young had sent copies of his then new CD out when you bought tickets online for the show, I'm sure the postage & packaging was thrown into the ticket price. Now most bands just post a code so you can download or listen to the song. I'm sure if ChiDem were released this year, that's how GNR would've done the listening party, or put a dollar figure on downloading it on a certain day for 5-6 bucks. I'm sure if/when the next one comes out, the disc would be limited edition because most people are going to download it.

If GNR did have new music to put out prior to the next tour, then maybe they'll include it with the ticket.

I think the digital download idea is great as well. Either new material or a pro-audio recording of that show would attract some new fans and excitement.

I just wish GnR was more innovative about getting their music into people's hands. Most people still don't know the songs on Chinese and only know what Yahoo news tells them.

That's some interesting info from MSL as well - about the sku. With digital being the preferred way of the masses, I'm curious to see if it does get re-printed now.

Before I clicked on this thread, I read your subject line and thought "Yep, just like Price did with Musicology" so it's funny that you mentioned the same thing. I think Prince produces his own stuff and puts it out on his own label so for him it would've been easier than for GN'R with Uni being involved. But it's a great idea, that's for sure.

Doesn't Best Buy keep a copy or 2 along with AFD, UYI etc like most other record stores ?

If its true, maybe the original issue CD's are nearing the end.

To get a good deal, an order for x amount would have to be placed.

What the numbers are I donot know. Maybe someone is dealing with it at the moment.

As and when the re issue arrives, will the fix the booklet errors ?

I went over to BB the other day to check on it. There were no copies in the racks, AND when the sales gal looked it up in the system, the closest thing there was the guitar tab book. Did it ever really exist? :tongue2: