huge

GnRDuff1

He really helped not only writing songs, but also getting the foundations for several others.

Also, he wasnt a bad guitar payer at all. At least he played the rhythm parts of Rocket Queen they way it should be, unlike Gilby. :P

I dont get why anyone would hate Paul,other than the smarmy swill of innacurate stories and people in general wanting someone "to blame". :shrugs:

Matt's and Slash's stories are the main reasons for the hate towards Paul...

That's what I was referencing in a tactically suave manner ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's the most obscure member in GnR history, isn't he?

Depends on what context people would classify that status in,Certainly he does/did has contributed as did someone else that contributed a lot,West Arkeen.(not speaking of Chidem in this reference)

Edited by sailaway

Depends on what context people would classify that status in,Certainly he does/did has contributed as did someone else that contributed a lot,West Arkeen.

Yeah, he's kinda like the West Arkeen of nuGnR. But technically West was never in GnR, while Paul was and if you google him or wikipedia him, there's barely anything..

Depends on what context people would classify that status in,Certainly he does/did has contributed as did someone else that contributed a lot,West Arkeen.

Yeah, he's kinda like the West Arkeen of nuGnR. But technically West was never in GnR, while Paul was and if you google him or wikipedia him, there's barely anything..

No,West wasn't a member,but did contribute a lot.There is a bit of information out there but not nearly enough.Check "The Outpatience" that was West's baby. It's a shame that so much information,important or not has been lost,left out and forgotten. The history has overlooked a number of key people,for a short example Jetboy,(Todd crew mainly) Shark Island aka Red Shark and the fact that Ole Beich drowned,or that Shannon Hoon added vocals to not only "Don't Cry" on the UYIs.

Bits and pieces,I know.But it would be nice to credit everyone,I'm stopping now before this gets rightly booted to another section,but I don't really get the hate for Paul.

from interviews I've read, Huge has a swagger that rubs some people the wrong way. Tommy Stinson and Dizzy, in interviews, mention an "unnamed" member who had never been in a big band acting like he was the man. Sounds like politics to me. Axl probably was very close to Huge after all the other guys left. Also he's from Indiana and is a childhood friend of Axl's.

I think looking at the credits, its obvious that Huge was integral in getting Chinese Democracy off the ground.

I can't blame the guy for joining GNR upon Axls request.

Anyone in his shoes would have done the same.

Props to him for helping write those tunes.

Exactly.

Guy obviously has some musical talent. Pretty pathetic to dislike somebody just because a guitar player doesn't like him.

Sounded like a clash of egos,or possibly a pissing match.Whatever,but Paul Huge/Tobias seems to catch flac for helping out by request of a longtime friend.I actually liked the Sympathy for the Devil cover,and fuck what Sorum says,seriously.

I loved Sympathy a lot more than the original and IMO Huge saved that song.

I'd like to quote Axl "Wthout Paul Huge (or Tobias?), there would be no Guns N' Roses"

And yes it is fuckin' silly to hate someone just because a certain "guitar player" hates him out of jealousy.

I was amped about how Sympathy sounded,and in addition I read Anne Rice,and liked the movie. All the "Paul hate" was completely unjustified,and unwarranted.

Most people couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup,but hate him because of someone else's opinion? Complete and utter Bullshit!

hoenstly though, i do think it's highly possible that huge is a dick. i don't like to judge people unless i've met them but, tons of band members comented on how huge was acting like "axl's boy" that could get away with anything or just a dick in general.

slash, matt, tommy

Tommy?

But then you see more or less what he was about, on the Rock In Rio III show, and he just really wasn't up to par as a player or performer. :shrugs:

Can't really judge anyone by one performance,the fact that he is still helping w/GNR says a lot.

I don't get how a guy who's never musically accomplished anything close to GnR in his life could "leave the band due to aversion of touring"...

you could see at RIR III he just didn't belong onstage.

He did look kinda lost but it's still hard to believe he just said "I'm leaving, this is not my thing.." unless he really has stage fright or something...

But then you see more or less what he was about, on the Rock In Rio III show, and he just really wasn't up to par as a player or performer. :shrugs:

Can't really judge anyone by one performance,the fact that he is still helping w/GNR says a lot.

Maybe, but it seems like he is much better at working behind the scenes, rather than up front and centre. You'd have to be kind of special to stand your ground sandwiched between Buckethead and Finck. Fortus did that much more effectively.

Maybe, but it seems like he is much better at working behind the scenes, rather than up front and centre. You'd have to be kind of special to stand your ground sandwiched between Buckethead and Finck. Fortus did that much more effectively.

Fortus is amazingly talented.

hoenstly though, i do think it's highly possible that huge is a dick. i don't like to judge people unless i've met them but, tons of band members comented on how huge was acting like "axl's boy" that could get away with anything or just a dick in general.

slash, matt, tommy

Tommy?

"Another source says there's tension between [Tommy and Paul Huge] because Huge 'has the whole Guns attitude but he's never toured.'" (Spin, 07/99)
"There were guys who'd never ever made a record putting out their ideas. At first, those of us who'd actually made records thought their ideas sucked, but there were also some good ones." (Tommy, Bass Player, 04/09)

Paul Tobias/Huge obviously has some song-writing chops and has/had Axl's trust and respect (as far as we can tell)- so I tip my cap to him for that. I also feel that he was unfarily made the "Fall Guy" for the demise of Old Guns. I think by just about everyone's own admission at this point- the band had already been steadily breaking to pieces since Izzy left in '91 and basically just toured the bejesus out of Illusions for 2+ years and made videos and TSI? and "Sympathy For The Devil", etc. just to delay facing the painful fact that Old Guns was effectively dead. I am sure Paul's got his shortcomings (there do seem to be multiple reports that he's got a bit of a cocky attitude)- but honestly- seems to me he could have been freaking Gandhi and it wouldn't have mattered a damn. The ship was already going down...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

This is where it gets tricky being a GNR fan these days. I say that I believe that Slash wasnt trying to spread lies, wasnt jealous and was legitimately appalled about his guitar parts being fucked with on a sub par cover.

Fact of the matter is that Slash gets way, way more shit these days among GNR fans than Axl ever did (among fans) and as far as him being against Paul Huge being in GNR he had every right to be pissed off about it.

No way does Slash get more shit than Axl. Maybe on here, in particular threads. To the general public who don't care about the message boards or when new music is coming out, or who is in the band now, Axl was a shit head and it was his fault. Even people who are still fans and would probably go see a GNR show without Slash think Axl is responsible. In fact, I've never heard anything negative about Slash outside of the message boards, especially in regards to the break up.

Paul Tobias/Huge obviously has some song-writing chops and has/had Axl's trust and respect (as far as we can tell)- so I tip my cap to him for that. I also feel that he was unfarily made the "Fall Guy" for the demise of Old Guns. I think by just about everyone's own admission at this point- the band had already been steadily breaking to pieces since Izzy left in '91 and basically just toured the bejesus out of Illusions for 2+ years and made videos and TSI? and "Sympathy For The Devil", etc. just to delay facing the painful fact that Old Guns was effectively dead. I am sure Paul's got his shortcomings (there do seem to be multiple reports that he's got a bit of a cocky attitude)- but honestly- seems to me he could have been freaking Gandhi and it wouldn't have mattered a damn. The ship was already going down...

You make some good points but I don't think he was made the fall guy as Axl pushing him on Slash was just one more crack in the crumbling relationship which you also point out..Slash was not the only one who had an issue with him as Matt and Duff did also so people, not you, implying it was Slash's issue are being shortsighted...Sounds like Huge has a bit of an attitude and likes to flaunt his friendship with Axl so you can't blame the other musicians for having a problem relating to him.......I am a firm believer that if most people think someone is an asshole the person most likley is an asshole...............

Slash, Duff and Matt had a problem with Huge? Didn't they also have a problem with Dizzy? What about Axl? And let's not forget Tracy and Roberta.

I think I'm starting to see a pattern.