Duff is opening the Seattle and Vancouver shows

ITW 2012

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2011/12/its_official_duff_mckagans_loa.php

It's been rumored for some time, but I just got the word from our friend Duff McKagan: His Seattle band, Loaded, will indeed be opening for Guns N' Roses at KeyArena on Friday and at Vancouver's Pacific Coliseum on Saturday.

This will be the first time that McKagan -- the founding bassist of Guns N' Roses -- has opened for the current incarnation of GNR, which is fronted by Axl Rose, the sole remaining member of the band's classic lineup. Last week, Guns N' Roses got the word that they'd be inaugurated into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame next year.

McKagan, who recently published his first memoir, It's So Easy, about his life inside and out of music and GNR, writes a weekly column that runs every Thursday on Reverb. He'll address this news then.

One thing's for sure: Friday's show -- that was featured on Groupon last week -- just got a whole hell of a lot more interesting. Tickets are available for $26.50 to $72 via

Edited by ITW 2012

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I read an article, a Q&A with an ex-member (think it was Sorum), where the possibility of Duff appearing on GN’R’s run was discussed in past tense.

hmm Van should be a special show, ya never know what might happen :)

It's going to be mega! Especially for all of us who were there in 02.

i've been putting off buying duffs book till i know if he's playing vancouver or not.....maybe there will be signed copies at the merch table!

I'd highly recommend it. Duff's an interesting guy.

Edited by ITW 2012

hmm Van should be a special show, ya never know what might happen :)

It's going to be mega! Especially for all of us who were there in 02.

i've been putting off buying duffs book till i know if he's playing vancouver or not.....maybe there will be signed copies at the merch table!

I'd highly recommend it. Duff's an interesting guy.

i'll buy it regardless of weather it's at the merch or not.........still haven't read steven or slashes yet neither......gotta get on it........i read mick walls though....

Does Duff still get to play GN'R songs, even if Axl and the band are planning on playing the same ones later on?

interesting question, eh?

I think at most he'd throw out 'Attitude' ;)

Doubt he'd play on 'Easy', too early in the set. Possibly on Civil War though? Hell, maybe Rocket Queen?

I think he meant not so much what songs would Duff join on stage for, but if Duff would still do songs like It's So Easy during Loaded's set (which he usually does) even though Axl would be doing the same ones later on.

I say that Duff would probably realize this and drop the obvious ones (again, It's So Easy) but keep So Fine and Attitude which wouldn't be done during the Guns set anyways.

Then he could always join for a couple songs with Guns. Patience is probably a given, then maybe a song on bass then join on guitar like he did last time for Knockin' and Nice Boys. It'd be awesome if he did Rocket Queen on bass. To me, that is a more definitive Duff bass line than You Could Be Mine. As awesome as it was that he was up there doing that song last year, nothing really stands out about the bass in that song that's distinctly Duff, whereas Rocket Queen's bass line is key to the song.

Does Duff still get to play GN'R songs, even if Axl and the band are planning on playing the same ones later on?

interesting question, eh?

I think at most he'd throw out 'Attitude' ;)

Doubt he'd play on 'Easy', too early in the set. Possibly on Civil War though? Hell, maybe Rocket Queen?

I think he meant not so much what songs would Duff join on stage for, but if Duff would still do songs like It's So Easy during Loaded's set (which he usually does) even though Axl would be doing the same ones later on.

I say that Duff would probably realize this and drop the obvious ones (again, It's So Easy) but keep So Fine and Attitude which wouldn't be done during the Guns set anyways.

Then he could always join for a couple songs with Guns. Patience is probably a given, then maybe a song on bass then join on guitar like he did last time for Knockin' and Nice Boys. It'd be awesome if he did Rocket Queen on bass. To me, that is a more definitive Duff bass line than You Could Be Mine. As awesome as it was that he was up there doing that song last year, nothing really stands out about the bass in that song that's distinctly Duff, whereas Rocket Queen's bass line is key to the song.

yeah! thats what i meant. I know Duff usually plays ISE with loaded, also patience and a few others...

For some reason I didn't even think about duff joining GNR on stage... Now that you mention it though, it seems like a no brainer seeing as ZaKK Wylde is doing it. I can see duff doing YCBM and KOHD again.. maybe patience. I doubt he would be on for ISE or any of the stuff at the beginning of the set because usually that is a bit more scripted

I think I just read your post wrong. For sure, as much fun as it'd be to hear Duff play the It's So Easy bass intro with Axl on vocals, that song is too early in the Guns set. The "scripted" part, as you said. I still vote Rocket Queen. Just move it to a little later in the set.