will there be a New album around the HOF induction?

tange

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there will be some sort of Greatest Hits reissue, but we've discussed a Deluxe Edition of AFD before.

Universal puts out an "Icon" series, so it's probably going to be that. Odds are after the lawsuit over Greatest Hits, it's not in Universal's interest to put any other compilations out.

Axl has shown a lack of business savvy when it comes to the release of "Chinese Democracy" and future records.

I understand the record company not fulfilling it's end of the bargain and that's shitty but disappearing sans a Del James interview is not appropriate or professional.

That attitude and air of self-entitlement pisses on the efforts of everyone involved in the project.

He's no doubt a musical genius no one is arguing that but there are plenty of moments where he fucks up and doesn't care enough to clean up the mess and just bails.

I don't want it to become another stupid, childish Axl vs. Slash debate but you can't argue the fact that Slash was a fucking incredible PR man and him and Duff were always helping get the word out.

There's a line of whoreish self-promotionalism that I can see Axl deeply despises but that doesn't ignore the reality of the situation...The lack of promotion is/was inexcusable and like with hard question, Axl will undoubtedly blameshift and redirect when pressed on it.

Sure,if you refuse to play by the rules you get lambasted. Since when did rock become so civilized? And I'm assuming posts like this on an internet message board will undoubtedly shift GNRs gears?

There were actually two interviews,one by Del one by Reuters? And he did venture onto the forums,when in all reality he could have made major bucks offering up the material to publishers,but instead ventured into forum-land and spent time withought charging anyone.

Odd how selective memory functions :rolleyes:

Since when did rock become so civilized?

I don't know what you're talking about?

If you don't think GNR has problems or at least areas to improve in you're completely delusional.

And he did venture onto the forums

That was cool and great fan service but not promotion.

That's preaching to the converted, if anything.

The fans bought multiple copies of the album and got word out.

Since when did rock become so civilized?

I don't know what you're talking about?

If you don't think GNR has problems or at least areas to improve in you're completely delusional.

And he did venture onto the forums

That was cool and great fan service but not promotion.

That's preaching to the converted, if anything.

The fans bought multiple copies of the album and got word out.

Actually all bands have issues of one kind or another. Areas that YOU might like GNR to change may not be a priority.

Yeah,it was cool but was met with a lukewarm reception,I believe spuffy was called a cunt,and "Olympic hero" was banned due to his commentary attack.

Haven't seen anyone else take it straight to the forums,and do you honestly believe everyone here is pro-GNR? If indeed this is a belief I have some Iowa beachfront property for sale. :rolleyes:

Axl has shown a lack of business savvy when it comes to the release of "Chinese Democracy" and future records.

I understand the record company not fulfilling it's end of the bargain and that's shitty but disappearing sans a Del James interview is not appropriate or professional.

That attitude and air of self-entitlement pisses on the efforts of everyone involved in the project.

He's no doubt a musical genius no one is arguing that but there are plenty of moments where he fucks up and doesn't care enough to clean up the mess and just bails.

I don't want it to become another stupid, childish Axl vs. Slash debate but you can't argue the fact that Slash was a fucking incredible PR man and him and Duff were always helping get the word out.

There's a line of whoreish self-promotionalism that I can see Axl deeply despises but that doesn't ignore the reality of the situation...The lack of promotion is/was inexcusable and like with hard question, Axl will undoubtedly blameshift and redirect when pressed on it.

the thing I find laughable is this whole notion that Axl doesn't give a fuck about money, promotion, record sales, etc. though I guess it's quite easy to not care when you have more money than you'll ever spend in your lifetime, but

if this whole notion was true, AXL wouldn't have wanted AFD to be the biggest selling debut album of all time and he wouldn't have wanted the UYI to bury AFD in his own words -

so maybe circa 2011/2012, when Axl has more $$ than some 3rd world countries, yeah, it's very easy for him to say I don't give a fuck how CD sold or promtiting - but back in the 80's / 90's- he cared very much about these things

so please, just quit this whole notion that AXL's above money or caring about sales, cause it's absolutely fucking moronic

Areas that YOU might like GNR to change may not be a priority.

Yes that's true but basic things like having a website, releasing and promoting material, and keeping your fans in the loop should be priorities of every band/musician/entertainer.

Haven't seen anyone else take it straight to the forums,and do you honestly believe everyone here is pro-GNR?

That's fine and there are certainly a lot of haters but Draconian "ban any discussion that doesn't cast GNR/Axl in a perfect light" rhetoric is childish and counterproductive.

We're here to discuss, praise, and criticize - you gotta take the good with the bad and weed out what's valuable and take the truth when you see it.

quit this whole notion that AXL's above money or caring about sales' date=' cause it's absolutely fucking moronic [/quote']

Where is the proof of him "caring"? I don't know if he did or didn't.

If the record company fucked him over on some stuff - okay (but why wasn't that in writing in the first place). I can accept that.

But then why don't you go out and do an interview with such-and-such magazine. Or go to the VMAs. Or something.

There's little tangible proof of "effort". Only a mention about trying to get the "Better" video out there (why is that so complex?)

and trying to get the "real booklet" in the fans hands. We weren't given reasons why that didn't happen so we can't empathize or understand.

Fans are in the dark about a great many issues and that's the problem.

His socio-economic situation has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Brodie

2akg0sh.jpg

Who started the Red Panda idea? Funniest shit ever and pure brilliance. :rofl-lol:

Ha ha, you beat me to it, I was planning to do something like this. But let's be honest here. 'Oh My God' and 'Silkworms' are not going to be on the album. Replace 'em with 'Checkmate' / 'Jackie Chan' and a studio version of 'Sailing'.

As for who started the Red Panda idea, it came from this post. However, the original source they got it from remains unclear:

http://forums.downloadfestival.co.uk/m5115242.aspx

GUNS N' ROSES Reveals New Album Title

Axl Rose and his Guns n' Roses have revealed that the name of their forthcoming new studio album, the follow up to 2008's unsuccessful, "Chinese Democracy," will be............. wait for it.........."The Legend of The Red Panda." The album is already recorded and was thought to have originally been called "Chinese Democracy II" and is expected to be released next March/April through Geffen Records.

Its believed that eccentric frontman Rose has sent the Album Title and Tracklisting to all major magazine editors but no actual music to review.Whether this is genuine or just another strange game Rose is playing with the music press remains to be seen. You can check out the tracklisting below. More details on this will be revealed as soon as it becomes available.

Edited by axlsalinger

Areas that YOU might like GNR to change may not be a priority.

Yes that's true but basic things like having a website, releasing and promoting material, and keeping your fans in the loop should be priorities of every band/musician/entertainer.

Haven't seen anyone else take it straight to the forums,and do you honestly believe everyone here is pro-GNR?

That's fine and there are certainly a lot of haters but Draconian "ban any discussion that doesn't cast GNR/Axl in a perfect light" rhetoric is childish and counterproductive.

We're here to discuss, praise, and criticize - you gotta take the good with the bad and weed out what's valuable and take the truth when you see it.

So you are obviously employed in a music-related field that would enable you to make this sort of judgement?

No Draconian evil instrument of censorship embodied here,but I do see the same circle of idiots that apparently feel the need to visit each and every fucking day with the explicit purpose of talking smack about GNRs,not including you in that group though.

So you are obviously employed in a music-related field that would enable you to make this sort of judgement?

Yes.

but I do see the same circle of idiots that apparently feel the need to visit each and every fucking day with the explicit purpose of talking smack about GNR

Yep and they suck.

I'd give Axl my shirt if he called up and asked for it. Love the guy. Love the band.

I say things because I care. If someone reads them and finds value in it - great' date=' if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I have to speak what I feel is the truth...

Ha ha, you beat me to it, I was planning to do something like this. But let's be honest here. 'Oh My God' and 'Silkworms' are not going to be on the album. Replace 'em with 'Checkmate' / 'Jackie Chan' and a studio version of 'Sailing'.

Yeah and Forgotten isn't a real song to my knowledge but whatever it was quick and dirty. Thanks though.

Edited by Brodie

Maybe Axl was strong-armed into releasing it? The booklet wasn't done, there was hardly any promotion's except 20 second commercials and a cardboard cutout in the middle of Best-Buy, not much. Plus, it's not up to Axl to tour and stuff, the manager has to set that stuff up. I remember in the Azoff lawsuit, it said GN'R was going to have a European tour in the middle of 2009 to support the album, but instead were told to stay for a possible Van Halen/GN'R super-tour that never happened. I still remember hearing the rumblings of that tour, and it was on numerous websites.

I don't know, Axl seemed more like he wanted to do stuff with the fans, not much with the media. And really, who can blame him? If his "baby" he was working on for 14 years was forced out by the record company with little promotion by that said company, I don't think Axl would want to do anything to help them. Maybe the counter-suit was true? Maybe Axl and GN'R were strong-armed into releasing the album, so it could fail and Axl would have to reform with the old band. It's not the first time a record company has done that. Marc Canter said that Slash's first Snakepit album was hardly promoted because Geffen wanted him to reform with GN'R to make more money.

Yes, Axl is a musical genius, and he is also a perfectionist, but I don't think he would just not do anything to promote a album he was working on for over a decade.

Maybe Axl was strong-armed into releasing it?

I think Axl wanted more time because everything wasn't ready and the label wanted to push it to market before the holiday rush. They didn't want any more delays so they said fuck it and just released it.

I don't know, Axl seemed more like he wanted to do stuff with the fans, not much with the media

I understand why he would not like the media but it seems to me to be a necessary evil.

Once again if you 'really want it' to be successful, what have you - bite the bullet.

Plus, it's not up to Axl to tour and stuff, the manager has to set that stuff up. I remember in the Azoff lawsuit, it said GN'R was going to have a European tour in the middle of 2009 to support the album, but instead were told to stay for a possible Van Halen/GN'R super-tour that never happened. I still remember hearing the rumblings of that tour, and it was on numerous websites.

Aren't respected but plenty of award shows every year...

But fair point, Azoff thing fucked them over pretty good for 2009.

Edited by Brodie

Since when has Axl ever done anything wise?

Considering the fact that he is one of the most coveted artists by the media, has succeeded in having a 25 years long rock and roll career, sold millions of records, become very rich, and kept relevant all this time with a minimum of effort, I have to say I am pretty impressed by him and his efficiency.

Oh come on. All those things are testament to how great the original band were and the legacy of what they created together. It has nothing to do with Axl-trainwreck-a-minute-Rose.

Haha, yes, Axl Rose had nothing to do with the success of GN'R nor his own ability to stay relevant and enigmatic today. And that's why all the other guys from that lineup, including Izzy, are so famous today, why they are all equally rich, why they are all as popular, etc. Haha.

I'm not an Axl or NuGuns detractor. I love both the old and the new band and have a lot of respect for Axl, I just don't think he makes the wisest career choices (or even cares). And there is no denying that the reason he is still relevant/popular today is because of the old band and has nothing to do with Chinese Democracy (brilliant as it is) or the new band at all. If you can't accept that then you are delusional.

Edited by Towelie

Since when has Axl ever done anything wise?

Considering the fact that he is one of the most coveted artists by the media, has succeeded in having a 25 years long rock and roll career, sold millions of records, become very rich, and kept relevant all this time with a minimum of effort, I have to say I am pretty impressed by him and his efficiency.

Oh come on. All those things are testament to how great the original band were and the legacy of what they created together. It has nothing to do with Axl-trainwreck-a-minute-Rose.

Haha, yes, Axl Rose had nothing to do with the success of GN'R nor his own ability to stay relevant and enigmatic today. And that's why all the other guys from that lineup, including Izzy, are so famous today, why they are all equally rich, why they are all as popular, etc. Haha.

I'm not an Axl or NuGuns detractor. I love both the old and the new band and have a lot of respect for Axl. I'm merely pointing out that the reason he is still relevant/popular today is because of the old band and it has nothing to do with Chinese Democracy (brilliant as it is) or the new band at all. If you can't accept that then you are delusional.

No, if it was ONLY because of the old band (which you claimed earlier) then ALL members of the old band would be equally popular today. The fact that they aren't all equally popular today is caused by individual differences in how these members keep on being relevant, individual differences in how these members promoted themselves historically, etc etc. Axl is popular today because of his involvement with classic guns, yes, but ALSO because of his own inherit, undeniable talents, and also because of the way he has managed to keep interesting and relevant after classic guns. To continue the argument: Izzy is much less popular (and mostly unknown to the general populace) despite being in classic guns because he doesn't have those talents or interests.

To bring this back to where it started, your claim that Axl has never done anything wise -- although silly and ludicrous -- deserves a comment because some people actually seem to think that Axl doesn't deserve being as popular as he is. How silly. He is undeniably talented both as a musician and as a performer, (and he seems to have a lot more business acumen than the other former band members), and his refusal to adhere to what "rock stars" should do and refuse to promote himself only seems to enhance this popularity. You could claim this is "unwise", but it seems to work for him, without compromising his integrity. Slash has taken another route, a very opposite strategy, really, but succeeded as well to keep in the media attention. I have nothing bad to say against either of them or how they handle their careers. It seems to work for them regardless of fans disappointment with artistic direction or productivity, and that is what matters most.

And to your statement about me being delusional, I have never claimed that Axl's involvement in classic guns isn't important and probably instrumentall to his popularity today. Of course past history affects today, my point is that he CO-CREATED that history using his own undeniable, personal talents and has continued to use this to be popular 25 years after, something other former members failed or chose not to do. If you insist on claiming that Axl has never done anything wise and has become popular and relevant today ONLY because he was a dragged along from being a members of classic guns and didn't influence that band's success at all, then I think it is you who are not well-grounded at all.

Edited by SoulMonster

Yes.

but I do see the same circle of idiots that apparently feel the need to visit each and every fucking day with the explicit purpose of talking smack about GNR

Yep and they suck.

I'd give Axl my shirt if he called up and asked for it. Love the guy. Love the band.

I say things because I care. If someone reads them and finds value in it - great' date=' if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I have to speak what I feel is the truth...

t

Yeah and Forgotten isn't a real song to my knowledge but whatever it was quick and dirty. Thanks though.

At least you are informed enough to debate a point without resorting to preschool Pottymouth to prove a point,that is commendable if not a damned miracle in these waters.

Two people can and usually do have a different set of priorities,and we all are cognitive enough to realize that GNR isn't run like any other band.

The official website being updated is definately a good move, I'm sure everyone is aware of this by now. As far as business plans go I think it may be best for GNR to take care of GNR business,and for the rest just enjoy the music.

Axl is popular today because of his involvement with classic guns, yes, but ALSO because of his own inherit, undeniable talents, and also because of the way he has managed to keep interesting and relevant after classic guns. To continue the argument: Izzy is much less popular (and mostly unknown to the general populace) despite being in classic guns because he doesn't have those talents or interests.

You forgot the part about Axl screwing over his bandmates so he could single-handedly trade on the brand name of GNR, irrespective of the fact that he was only one-fifth responsible for building that brand in the first place.

Regarding the comment about Axl never doing anything wise, I was clearly being factitious and you chose to take it literally. Having said that, he obviously has a tedency for self-sabotage and whatever his far-fetched reasons are for doing the things he does, it is clear that his actions have had a hugely negative impact on how he is peceived by his peers, fans and the general public alike, thus my comment about him being unwise.

Edited by Towelie

The official website being updated is definately a good move

Yes, extremely tardy, but welcome. Let's hope it's content is worth a damn.

As far as business plans go I think it may be best for GNR to take care of GNR business

If they weren't fucking up all the time - I'd leave them to it & be quiet as a churchmouse...

and for the rest just enjoy the music.

I love that idea. Release more music for people to enjoy!

Edited by Brodie

The official website being updated is definately a good move

Yes, extremely tardy, but welcome. Let's hope it's content is worth a damn.

As far as business plans go I think it may be best for GNR to take care of GNR business

If they weren't fucking up all the time - I'd leave them to it & be quiet as a churchmouse...

and for the rest just enjoy the music.

I love that idea. Release more music for people to enjoy!

There have always been fuck-up,and fuck-overs,but the business side is directly GNR territory,unless of course you have been invited to assist with ongoing issues,and issues to come which invariably will emerge periodically.

I don't think its a particularly good idea to let the public access business matters,and there are incidences that fans should not be privvy to,they tend to sensationalize and magnify minimal details from molehills to mountains,and seem intent on spreading the shot all over creation.