[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly Dave was ace at the 2nd MSG show. As PS said, he dropped the headset and his voice seems to be rounding into good shape. Many said his voice at MSG was better than the 2007/2008 tour and he was pretty solid then...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Always been a cool chick and I don't doubt a word of this:

==============

THERE WOULD BE NO NEW VAN HALEN TOUR OR ALBUM WITHOUT WOLFGANG IN THE BAND, SAYS VALERIE BERTINELLI

by: Matthew Wilkening 1 hour ago

Since her ex-husband Eddie Van Halen so far isn’t doing any interviews in support of his band’s new album and tour, Valerie Bertinelli called into WRIF Detroit’s Drew and Mike show to talk about how the band, and specifically their son Wolfgang, is doing out on the road.

The ‘Hot in Cleveland’ actress was proud to talk about her son’s skills – “Wolfie can definitely back up everything with his playing, you can’t deny that he is an excellent bass player and an excellent musician, his voice is amazing.”

She also addressed Van Halen fans upset that her son took over founding bassist Michael Anthony’s role in the band, and explained it’s the only way Eddie would be making musical publicly. “I loved Mike too, I thought he was a really nice guy, still do,” Bertinelli explains. “But the only way this tour is happening is because Eddie gets to play with his son Wolfie. Otherwise, this tour wouldn’t be going on, it really wouldn’t.”

According to her, the lure of playing music with their son is the main factor that convinced the guitar wizard to get the band back together: “This brings joy to Ed, and that’s what he wants to do now, just have fun playing. As great as Mike is, this wouldn’t be happening if Mike was still in the band.”

She also has a message “for any of the fans that are truly angry that Mike’s not in the band… at least they get to see a version of the band. You’re getting to see Dave and Ed and Al play together. I know I’m a little prejudiced but.. my son kicks ass! And Ed’s playing better than ever, you’ve gotta give him that.”

As to how the about-to-be 21 Wolfgang is doing on the road, well, shocker, “he’s having the time of his life. I try to tell him not to read the internet, but he reads some of the horrible things that people say, no matter what they’re not going to be pleased. I try to tell him, ‘you’re not going to please everybody, it’s impossible.’ Especially people who are so passionate about this band. But he’s having such a great time, I think those naysayer voices are fading quickly in the back.”

She also revealed that her son has been taking lots of vocal courses — “he does his homework!” — and got his high school degree just recently after missing much of the 11th grade due to being out on the band’s 2007/08 tour.

Did she have any words of warning for her former sparring partner David Lee Roth, about how to treat her child on the road? “No, Dave doesn’t need to have any words from me. He’s a grown man, he knows how to treat people. Everything with Dave is water under the bridge. I think he’s doing an amazing job. I run into him very infrequently, but when we do it’s always pleasant.”

As to why she’s so friendly with her ex and his bandmates: “With age comes wisdom, I guess. I always choose to look at the good side. These are really great people. This is my son. I just want him to be happy. And this is a dream come true for Ed.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-wolfgang-valerie-bertinelli-interview/

I might have accidentally just bought a ticket for Toronto. I have to go alone, but I don't care. I need some more Van Halen. Buffalo pumped me right up!

Accidentally? :lol:

Thought I'd post this here for anyone going to a show soon. I'm having trouble finding an "official" source for this, but everyone on taping forums seem to be talking about it. The band has a very loose policy on cameras this tour; apparently professional photo/video cameras are allowed! I stealth taped audio for Buffalo (Which will be on Dime maybe tonight, but probably tomorrow), and now fingers crossed the ACC will comply with VH's camera/taping policy so I can take my D-SLR and a nice 500mm lens to shoot from the upper bowl ;)

I might have accidentally just bought a ticket for Toronto. I have to go alone, but I don't care. I need some more Van Halen. Buffalo pumped me right up!

Accidentally? :lol:

Thought I'd post this here for anyone going to a show soon. I'm having trouble finding an "official" source for this, but everyone on taping forums seem to be talking about it. The band has a very loose policy on cameras this tour; apparently professional photo/video cameras are allowed! I stealth taped audio for Buffalo (Which will be on Dime maybe tonight, but probably tomorrow), and now fingers crossed the ACC will comply with VH's camera/taping policy so I can take my D-SLR and a nice 500mm lens to shoot from the upper bowl ;)

I was kind of half seriously looking and when I found a single seat on StubHub just a few rows back from where I was in Buffalo (and only $20 over face value), I couldn't resist. :lol:

For the cameras thing, I believe Diamond Dave himself gave a message to the VHND that welcomed everybody to bring their cameras to the shows, so that's probably where the tapers are getting the information from. They posted it I think about a week before shows started. Security was pretty good in Buffalo. Here's hoping for the same in Toronto!

Looking forward to the audio of Buffalo. Thanks for taping! :thumbsup:

You know, when I take a rare day's break from the album and go back to it, I just keep thinking, "How the fuck did they do this?" 28 years between albums, DLR reportedly recording separately, there barely being any noise of them even making a new album until a few months before release, and then the 1st taste is Tattoo.

Still think this sits comfortably with the 6-pack and maybe their most even record.

Just still can't believe what they pulled off. rock2 rock4

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Excellent show in Toronto last night.

Tbh...Kool and the Gang bored the snot out of me.

I thought they would never end.

Not saying they weren't good,just not a vibe that gets me hyped for a band like Van Halen. :shrugs:

The disco dance party in between bands bored the snot out of me,oh and...one lame newer-ish Stones track.Which I thought was kind of funny,considering Dave ragged on the Stone's music as sucking after the 70's while at the MTV Awards (basically mouthing off his way into not getting back in the band at that point).

The drunks loved it though.

Ahhhh the drunks...the drunk fucking fucktards that surrounded me.So fucking drunk that they couldn't stand up straight without crashing into me every 14 seconds or so.

Then there was the guy who kept going back for more booze and staggered back a little harder after each round,and yet,in no way got cut off.

How drunk did fucktard get??...well...he fell over the row behind me and landed on...me! :lol:

That was a first for me after all these years of going to concerts. :shrugs:

Apart from the groove-tastic drunken dance party,it was a great show.

Personally can't say it was better than the last tour.I thought they both smoked.

Wolfie is even better now,didn't think that was possible,but the guy can fucking play that bass!

Dave...numerous times : "put a fucking spotlight on me". :lol:

The Van Halen bros. were flawless.

If Wolfie is responsible for this version of Van Halen...well God bless you young man...well done! :)

I filmed most of the show in 1080p.

Most of it isn't great though...pretty shakey.

This device is about the size of a cell phone and hard to keep steady.

The problem I was mainly having was,I discovered my leg injury is still a bigger problem than I thought.Standing for a lengthy period started to hurt...bad.

I somewat predicted it might happen,so did a couple of painkillers before the show...and that didn't help the sense of steadiness.

Plus the drunk fucktards that kept crashing in to me.

Oh well...I tried...I'm uploading one of the not-too-bad clips now.

We had some drunk douchebags behind us as well. Got a little beer on us and they sure loved the sound of their own voices. Comes with the territory sometimes I guess... but we didn't let it ruin our enjoyment of the show.

I was expecting it to run longer but maybe I'm just spoiled after seeing GN'R five times go for almost 2.5 hours each show. But the performance itself was fantastic. Despite not listening to most of their catalog yet (I've only managed to listen to the first album so far) I recognized a lot of songs and enjoyed just about all of them.

You know, when I take a rare day's break from the album and go back to it, I just keep thinking, "How the fuck did they do this?" 28 years between albums, DLR reportedly recording separately, there barely being any noise of them even making a new album until a few months before release, and then the 1st taste is Tattoo.

Still think this sits comfortably with the 6-pack and maybe their most even record.

Hmmm, I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I like the record, but it has far too many filler songs and it doesn't even compare to the first 6.

Tattoo was the best thing on it IMHO.

Edited by Towelie

Hmmm, I wish I shared your enthusiasm. I like the record, but it has far too many filler songs and it doesn't even compare to the first 6.

Most Van Halen albums have filler tracks.And it's not trying ro be "one of the first 6".But it's easily a contender against everything from 7 on.

What exactly do you consider filler on it? I don't even remotely agree Tattoo is the best song on it either, it's barely inside the top 10 on the album for me.

What exactly do you consider filler on it? I don't even remotely agree Tattoo is the best song on it either, it's barely inside the top 10 on the album for me.

Indeed. I actually think Tattoo is one of the weaker songs on the album as a whole, even though I like it.

After having the album for over a month I'd at least rank it above Diver Down. Diver Down is what instantly comes to mind when I think of filler on the Roth albums.

"Truth" is a very consistent album. It seems everybody has a different set of favorite tracks on it, which to me says how good it actually is. Something for everybody kind of thing.

Indeed. I actually think Tattoo is one of the weaker songs on the album as a whole, even though I like it.

After having the album for over a month I'd at least rank it above Diver Down. Diver Down is what instantly comes to mind when I think of filler on the Roth albums.

"Truth" is a very consistent album. It seems everybody has a different set of favorite tracks on it, which to me says how good it actually is. Something for everybody kind of thing.

Fair enough, I would certainly agree Diver Down is the weakest Dave album. Quite honestly, ADKOT is actually my favorite next to the self-titled.

My take on ADKOT:

Great tracks

Tattoo

As Is

Honeybabysweetiedoll

Good tracks

She's The Woman

China Town

Bullethead

Big River

Blood & Fire

Average

Outta Space

Beats Workin'

The Trouble With Never

Stay Frosty

You And Your Blues

Overall: 6/10

Edited by Towelie

My take on ADKOT:

Great tracks

Tattoo

As Is

Honeybabysweetiedoll

Good tracks

She's The Woman

China Town

Bullethead

Big River

Blood & Fire

Average

Outta Space

Beats Workin'

The Trouble With Never

Stay Frosty

You And Your Blues

Overall: 6/10

This is proof of what I said - everybody has a different set of favorite tracks. The three you listed as "great" are the three that I think are among the weakest. That's good though, it shows they really succeeded in making an album that has something for everybody. :thumbsup: