[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, I don't get the hate and blame for Tattoo. It wasn't characteristic of the entire record, but I did think it was characteristic Van Halen still. I thought it was pretty good.

Hard to say how much more sales would've been driven by another lead off single, but probably not a huge difference. In addition to the impact of downloading and the current state of rock, etc...you gotta remember it's been 28 freakin years since VH w/DLR released an album. That's nearly TWICE the amount of time GNR took between their last albums, so it's not at all a comparable situation even to an AC/DC or Metallica who takes 5 or so years between albums. There were alot of diehard VH w/DLR fans like myself who either completely stopped following the band with Van Hagar or were left causal fans at best. Van Hagar attracted many new fans, but a lot of chicks who are now soccer moms and not running out to get ADKOT(wisely as it wouldn't appeal to them).

Also, while I'm over it, there's still a percentage of older fans who remain pissed how MA got punted and don't consider this "real Van Halen". Hopefully, they will come around.

The best thing this record has going for it is good old word-of-mouth because it is so strong. But ultimately #1 vs. #2 is irrelevant as this album totally feels like a love letter to the longtime core fanbase who is eating it up. Would I rather have got a keyboard-driven, poppier album that maybe sells another couple hundred thousand copies? Hell no, this could easily be VH's last record(hope not!) and I wouldn't change a damn note on it. With this album in hand and given their age, I'm fine with them touring on this and the old material for as long as they want. Still can't believe we even have a new VH/DLR album, and then that it's this freakin awesome. Feels like a miracle.

All the above said, ADKOT way more than doubled the sales of McCartney's release the same week and almost doubled The Fray, a much younger and supposedly relevant band.

So #2 and $187K sales ain't so bad. Gotta remember, this is Adele's world and we're all just living in it. :xmassrudolph:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

All fine and good, but this was VH back with DLR! the one all the rock fans (supposedly) had been waiting for! They should've been putting up numbers on par with the Foos or U2, or heck, even Nickleback. :shrugs:

Not that any of this matters if you enjoy the tunes, as people in News and Discussion have stated over and over. But it does sting a little.

All fine and good, but this was VH back with DLR! the one all the rock fans (supposedly) had been waiting for! They should've been putting up numbers on par with the Foos or U2, or heck, even Nickleback. :shrugs:

Not that any of this matters if you enjoy the tunes, as people in News and Discussion have stated over and over. But it does sting a little.

Yeah, no doubt, the number was a little disappointing. But there comes a point where you've been away so long(out of sight, out of mind) that not everyone is gonna remember or care. There's comebacks...and then there's comebaaaaaaaaaacks. 28 years is a whole different deal.

I have some friends who were VH/DLR diehards and they didn't even know the new album was coming out until I told them. Hopefully word continues to get out and sales stay steady. It's not like the thing tanked...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I'm a big pack rat and always enjoyed collecting movies, games, CDs, and whatever else. I just like having the physical copy sitting there on my shelf.

I'm the same way.

Physical outlasts digital. Even if someone does everything in digital media, they still want to have a physical copy. Most people can't remember their own phone number, but remember the house phone from their childhood. There's a lot of stuff still out there on floppy discs, but without having something to play it on, it kind of sucks.

Jeez, I don't get the hate and blame for Tattoo. It wasn't characteristic of the entire record, but I did think it was characteristic Van Halen still. I thought it was pretty good.

Hard to say how much more sales would've been driven by another lead off single, but probably not a huge difference. In addition to the impact of downloading and the current state of rock, etc...you gotta remember it's been 28 freakin years since VH w/DLR released an album. That's nearly TWICE the amount of time GNR took between their last albums, so it's not at all a comparable situation even to an AC/DC or Metallica who takes 5 or so years between albums. There were alot of diehard VH w/DLR fans like myself who either completely stopped following the band with Van Hagar or were left causal fans at best. Van Hagar attracted many new fans, but a lot of chicks who are now soccer moms and not running out to get ADKOT(wisely as it wouldn't appeal to them).

Also, while I'm over it, there's still a percentage of older fans who remain pissed how MA got punted and don't consider this "real Van Halen". Hopefully, they will come around.

The best thing this record has going for it is good old word-of-mouth because it is so strong. But ultimately #1 vs. #2 is irrelevant as this album totally feels like a love letter to the longtime core fanbase who is eating it up. Would I rather have got a keyboard-driven, poppier album that maybe sells another couple hundred thousand copies? Hell no, this could easily be VH's last record(hope not!) and I wouldn't change a damn note on it. With this album in hand and given their age, I'm fine with them touring on this and the old material for as long as they want. Still can't believe we even have a new VH/DLR album, and then that it's this freakin awesome. Feels like a miracle.

All the above said, ADKOT way more than doubled the sales of McCartney's release the same week and almost doubled The Fray, a much younger and supposedly relevant band.

So #2 and $187K sales ain't so bad. Gotta remember, this is Adele's world and we're all just living in it. :xmassrudolph:

Fuck Adele.

But I agree. Excellent post. :thumbsup:

I haven't been keeping track...did this debut at #1 or no??

No, thanks to Adele getting a 100%+ sales bump last week due to Grammy's night, she finished #1(for 20th straight week) and VH #2. VH woulda been #1 if released a week earlier. That said, thought they'd sell more than 187,000 copies.

Shit, reading an article now saying that with her Grammy's momo continuing, Adele's 21 record on pace to sell another 500,000-600,000 copies this week. And her debut album, 19, will crack the top 5. Chick's unstoppable.

http://www.billboard.com/news/adele-s-21-set-for-21st-week-at-no-1-1006207552.story#/news/adele-s-21-set-for-21st-week-at-no-1-1006207552.story

That was kind of disappointing to see VH ranking #2. EVH can blame Azoff and Iovine like Axl did.

Slash: “New Van Halen CD is Pretty Badass”

FEBRUARY 16, 2012 LEAVE A COMMENT

Slash (Guns ‘n’ Roses, Velvet Revolver) posted yesterday, “New Van Halen cd is pretty badass. In my humble opinion. iiiI; )’”

Eddie Trunk responded with “I agree Slash! MUCH better than first single led me to think!”. Trunk also said, “Nice to see nearly 200,000 copies of the new VH sold in first week. Very impressive in 2012 for a hard rock album. Equivalent to 900K in ’84.”

Another rocker who praised the album yesterday was Mike Portnoy (Ex-Dream Theater), who, when asked if he liked the new VH album, responded with, “DONT LIKE…I **LOVE** IT!!! BEST “COMEBACK” ALBUM SINCE DEATH MAGNETIC.”

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/02/16/slash-new-van-halen-cd-is-pretty-badass/

Also, is this saying the album sold 284K copies globally?

http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums.htm

Edited by Turn_It_Up

This album is fucking awesome! And I think it's going to have legs because it's got a lot of potential singles for what's left of rock radio. If there is any rock fans left in North America, I hope they eventually find their way to this album. This is the kind of guitar driven rock that people like me have been missing for a long time.

Edited by ITW 2012

Me too. Love that song. Still one of the top songs on the album for me.

Tour starts tonight!

Whos gonna peek?

Who's going radio silence??

I'm torn..

I'm undecided whether or not to peek. If I'm seeing a show more than once on a tour, I usually try to keep it under the wraps (Other than GN'R, since they mix it up a bit night-to-night). I'll probably keep the surprise for Buffalo, it's only a few weeks away.

Could we possibly use the

tags for people who don't want to know the setlist? I believe you can also post videos within a
tag. Regardless, after tonight we should probably put a spoiler warning in the title/subtitle of the topic ;)
Edited by Powerage5

tags for people who don't want to know the setlist? I believe you can also post videos within a
tag. Regardless, after tonight we should probably put a spoiler warning in the title/subtitle of the topic ;)

Good points P5,would be helpful for those not wanting to peek or accidentally find stuff out.

I know last tour I looked at SO much tour stuff online that by the time my first show was under way,I was wishing I hadn't.

The temptation is HUGE though... :ph34r:

Good points P5,would be helpful for those not wanting to peek or accidentally find stuff out.

I know last tour I looked at SO much tour stuff online that by the time my first show was under way,I was wishing I hadn't.

The temptation is HUGE though... :ph34r:

I think it's worth it...there's really nothing cooler than being at the show and hearing a song you had no expectations of hearing. I peeked for VH last tour, so I'm thinking I'll hold off this time.

For the Alice Cooper shows last year, I was absolutely knocked sideways by the number of surprises in the setlist; Black Widow, Brutal Planet, Hey Stoopid, Halo Of Flies, Muscle Of Love, the full Only Women Bleed, and Clones! Definitely the most rewarding show ever for not peeking at the setlist!

For the Alice Cooper shows last year, I was absolutely knocked sideways by the number of surprises in the setlist; Black Widow, Brutal Planet, Hey Stoopid, Halo Of Flies, Muscle Of Love, the full Only Women Bleed, and Clones! Definitely the most rewarding show ever for not peeking at the setlist!

Nice!

Nice!

did you guys see the london 2011 show yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_8nY2GoBI

Nice!

did you guys see the london 2011 show yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_8nY2GoBI

Is that out on dvd? I'm gonna have to get it.

I know myself, and I'm very curious about the setlist, so I know I will be taking a look and reading the reviews. I won't post anything about it here though, I don't want to ruin anything for anyone.