[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

I'm going to go ahead and say it...

I rate it the second best Van Halen album of any era. This record is just fucking incredible. For me it's just behind Van Halen I. If this album had dropped in 1978 instead of Van Halen I, I think it would have gotten the same reaction that Van Halen I did. Monumental record.

It's good, but that is a ridiculous statement. The only ones it's better than are Diver Down and maybe 1984 (also the Van Hagar albums, but those aren't really Van Halen). Not even close to the first three albums though.

I say it's better than Women and Children First too.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go ahead and say it...

I rate it the second best Van Halen album of any era. This record is just fucking incredible. For me it's just behind Van Halen I. If this album had dropped in 1978 instead of Van Halen I, I think it would have gotten the same reaction that Van Halen I did. Monumental record.

It's good, but that is a ridiculous statement. The only ones it's better than are Diver Down and maybe 1984 (also the Van Hagar albums, but those aren't really Van Halen). Not even close to the first three albums though.

I say it's better than Women and Children First too.

As a whole, yes I'd agree. It's definitely one of their more consistent albums.

This new album is probably the best thing I've heard in the last decade. I haven't had something shock and excite me, or with this much energy in a very long time.

I'm disappointed in the sales though, and I really hope people go out there and and buy this album. We've got to support this and give the band the incentive to continue making music. We've also got to remind the industry that rock is relevant wanted, and deserving of support.

Album Of The Year as far as I'm concerned, I don't see anything else topping it this year. IMO, it's their 3rd best album, right behind VH 1 & VH 2.

I'd probably rank it behind VH 1, VH 2 and 1984. It's sort of like their Exile on Main Street.

I'd say that's a fair comparison. I like this new album just a tad more than 1984 though.

Album Of The Year as far as I'm concerned, I don't see anything else topping it this year. IMO, it's their 3rd best album, right behind VH 1 & VH 2.

Fourth. It's behind 1984, IMO.

I'd say fourth or fifth is about right. I don't know if 1984 is one of the albums ahead of it though, that album doesn't have much once you get past Hot For Teacher and Panama. It's so cool that they made something that can stand up with, and even top some of, the original material.

Would have to rate the debut #1 with VH2, WACF and FW all in a tie for 2nd place awesomeness--only my mood makes 1 better than the others any given moment. ADKOT easily takes its place in that pack and even stands comfortably alongside the debut. What it may lack in commercial hits, more than makes up with its sheer intensity and length.

IMO, ADKOT stomps Diver Down and 1984 and those are great albums.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I haven't been keeping track...did this debut at #1 or no??

No, thanks to Adele getting a 100%+ sales bump last week due to Grammy's night, she finished #1(for 20th straight week) and VH #2. VH woulda been #1 if released a week earlier. That said, thought they'd sell more than 187,000 copies.

Shit, reading an article now saying that with her Grammy's momo continuing, Adele's 21 record on pace to sell another 500,000-600,000 copies this week. And her debut album, 19, will crack the top 5. Chick's unstoppable.

http://www.billboard.com/news/adele-s-21-set-for-21st-week-at-no-1-1006207552.story#/news/adele-s-21-set-for-21st-week-at-no-1-1006207552.story

Edited by Turn_It_Up

That said, thought they'd sell more than 187,000 copies.

Respectable numbers these days considering most rock fans are now thieves.

Most bands don't put out anything that's worth paying money for anymore. Sales would have been a fair bit higher if they'd released Blood and Fire or You and Your Blues first. I think this album could burn for a while if they get enough radio play and word of mouth.

Edited by ITW 2012

Hate to say it, but I think Tattoo turned a lot of people off this record.

I don't doubt it. It's unfortunate but true. I get why they went with it as a first single, but perhaps they should have just gone with She's The Woman which is, in my opinion, the most classic sounding "VH 1" style track on the album and played it safe.

187 000 isn't bad though. I hope it at least goes Gold. They deserve it, it's a fantastic album.

Funnily enough, I have a friend who generally speaking hates Van Halen and he loved Tattoo. :lol:

You might have been a thief at our age if albums were usually close to $20.00.

Yalls is making me want to hear this record, does DLR really still have it? That's my one point of skepticism.

Yes he does. He doesn't do anymore of those high falsetto "Runnin' With The Devil" style wails, but vocally and lyrically he's still 100% David Lee Roth.

Yalls is making me want to hear this record, does DLR really still have it? That's my one point of skepticism.

Yes he does. He doesn't do anymore of those high falsetto "Runnin' With The Devil" style wails, but vocally and lyrically he's still 100% David Lee Roth.

I'm actually glad he doesn't to 'em anymore. Was never a big fan of that. Love his deep talking in this album tho.

They might as well have been $20.00 for the amount of money I had.

And yet I always bought my music,still do.

Guest RonMexico82

Tattoo was an awful first single. MAJOR error. The album has tanked here in Ireland and it REALLY doesn't deserve that. They need to get a video and single out there ASAP, I don't care what song they pick they are all way better than the first one.

They might as well have been $20.00 for the amount of money I had.

And yet I always bought my music,still do.

I still buy CDs. When I don't find them and don't feel like importing, I go for iTunes.