[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to listening to this album in full.

The only songs I wasn't a big fan of were Bullethead and As In. Every other song I liked on the first listen.

So, I give this album 8/10 :thumbsup:

Wow, you don't like Bullethead?!? That's one of my favorites actually. The only one I don't really dig is Honeybabysweetiedoll. Big River's grown on me a lot, can't stop singing it in my head.

I wonder how much T shirts will be on this tour? I just can't bring myself to throw down $45 or more for a shirt.

Probably $40 a t-shirt. That seems to be the norm now at concerts unfortunately.

Depends on the band and area too. I notice when I go up to Chicago, merch is higher priced than if I go see the same show down in St.Louis.

If I'm picking next singles, they are, in order:

She's The Woman

Big River

You And Your Blues

Not sure how the record co. screwed up not releasing STW out of the gate.

There's a few different "methods" of choosing the first single. Some bands put out the best song as the first single (Alice Cooper comes to mind). The problem with this method is everything else on the album feels weaker in comparison obviously. Some bands put out the song that best represents the overall sound and feel of the album (Iron Maiden does this, especially recently). This is my favorite method of releasing a single. Then, some bands put out one of the weakest songs (That's what VH did here). It works because you really save the big guns for when the album comes out. On the other hand, you'll alienate people some from checking out the album. I've actually overheard a lot of people saying they won't check it out because Tattoo sucked.

She's The Woman

Big River

You And Your Blues

There's a few different "methods" of choosing the first single. Some bands put out the best song as the first single (Alice Cooper comes to mind). The problem with this method is everything else on the album feels weaker in comparison obviously. Some bands put out the song that best represents the overall sound and feel of the album (Iron Maiden does this, especially recently). This is my favorite method of releasing a single. Then, some bands put out one of the weakest songs (That's what VH did here). It works because you really save the big guns for when the album comes out. On the other hand, you'll alienate people some from checking out the album. I've actually overheard a lot of people saying they won't check it out because Tattoo sucked.

I think Tattoo is one of the best songs of the album, really. It really grew on me. I think the best song should be the first single. It's the best way to promote the album.

She's The Woman

Big River

You And Your Blues

This all the way. I like when it's a middle of the road song. The problem with Tattoo was that it really wasn't want people were expecting. The plus side is that the rest of the album rocks, the downside is that some people aren't even going to give it a chance just because they didn't like Tattoo.

On this topic, I think Blood and Fire would make a solid single.

She's The Woman

Big River

You And Your Blues

This all the way. I like when it's a middle of the road song. The problem with Tattoo was that it really wasn't want people were expecting. The plus side is that the rest of the album rocks, the downside is that some people aren't even going to give it a chance just because they didn't like Tattoo.

On this topic, I think Blood and Fire would make a solid single.

I think almost anything on the album could make a good single. My bets are on Blood And Fire or The Trouble With Never for the next single.

So Adele got a 100%+ sales boost over last week from Grammy's night and beats out VH for #1. Sucks that if ADKOT released a week earlier, they are #1.

But this record can have legs with the tour just starting and far better singles to come. All in all, #2 ain't bad. Amazing she's now been #1 for 20 straight weeks--and the boys were primed to take her down until Sunday night. :anger::lol:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Adele will feel the wrath of Blood and Fire, or maybe we should push her into a Big River. Her album isn't even good enough for China Town. She's The Woman though, I guess. As Is, another top ten for Van Halen is awesome. Let the Honeybabiesweetiedoll have her number one. It'll be Outta Space on the charts soon enough.

Adele will feel the wrath of Blood and Fire, or maybe we should push her into a Big River. Her album isn't even good enough for China Town. She's The Woman though, I guess. As Is, another top ten for Van Halen is awesome. Let the Honeybabiesweetiedoll have her number one. It'll be Outta Space on the charts soon enough.

LOL. :xmassrudolph:

Just read the rumor is Outta Space gonna be the next single. Totally unsubstantiated, but interesting. Fucking love that track, what an ass kicker, but hadn't anticipated that as a single because its so hard rockin. Will be interesting to see how that does, if true. Will definitely grab the listeners attention. rock4

2 big benefits if Outta Space is next single:

1. Should be way cool vid

2. They'd play it live at shows which would be KILLER

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Before this I listened to 1984 a few times...and liked a few other songs here and there. Hearing all the hype for the new album, I bought it without any clue of how it sounded (besides Tattoo, and this is the first time I've done such in a while), and it's fucking good. I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it.

I'm going to go ahead and say it...

I rate it the second best Van Halen album of any era. This record is just fucking incredible. For me it's just behind Van Halen I. If this album had dropped in 1978 instead of Van Halen I, I think it would have gotten the same reaction that Van Halen I did. Monumental record.

I'm going to go ahead and say it...

I rate it the second best Van Halen album of any era. This record is just fucking incredible. For me it's just behind Van Halen I. If this album had dropped in 1978 instead of Van Halen I, I think it would have gotten the same reaction that Van Halen I did. Monumental record.

It's good, but that is a ridiculous statement. The only ones it's better than are Diver Down and maybe 1984 (also the Van Hagar albums, but those aren't really Van Halen). Not even close to the first three albums though.