[SPOILER-FREE] Van Halen 2012 discussion

Towelie

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree on PW and put Dancing In the Street in the same category. If you have to play those because they're old hits and appeal to the wider female audience, jam a few of these into a cool, quick medley and leave more time for the new stuff. It's gotta be a tough balancing act, but hopefully with the great reviews and overwheliming fan feedback, they add more and more new songs to the setlist...

Disagreed. Dancing in the Streets is fucking incredible on EVH's guitar, and I'd love to see it done live. That crazy riff with the delay and everything is masterful.

Somehow floor tickets are still available for the State College show :shocked:

If I can talk mom into it, I might still try to make this show...

Yea, it's selling pretty poorly. Let me know if you're going, we'll have to meet up! :thumbsup:

If the set list stays around 24 songs plus guitar and drum solo, I think 5 new songs would be a fair number. It's enough of the album for those who love it, and that leaves 19 songs they can fill with the classics for the casual fan.

If they only do 5, I'd hope they're on a rotation or something. This album is just so strong it'd be a shame if only about a third of it got played live. I could honestly see any song on it being a strong live tune.

If the set list stays around 24 songs plus guitar and drum solo, I think 5 new songs would be a fair number. It's enough of the album for those who love it, and that leaves 19 songs they can fill with the classics for the casual fan.

If they only do 5, I'd hope they're on a rotation or something. This album is just so strong it'd be a shame if only about a third of it got played live. I could honestly see any song on it being a strong live tune.

Rotating would be a good idea. It'd be nice to get much of this album played live over the tour especially being that it's so strong and reviews have been great.

Another cut they can do to the set list is removing 1984 before Jump. They haven't used it at the three small shows so far so I hope it stays like that. Even though it's only a minute or so long that's a minute that can be dedicated to a new song. :thumbsup:

Going off the Toronto 2007 set list again, I'd say ditch 1984 and Pretty Woman for sure. I could also live without So This Is Love, I'll Wait, and Little Guitars. Fill those slots with new tracks! The rest could be pretty well the same and I'd feel very satisfied. Maybe rotate Ice Cream Man with Stay Frosty.

Of the poppier, keyboard driven songs, for some reason I always really dug I'll Wait. Something about DLR wanting that girl in the magazine, he just really sells the song, IMO. :)

Prefer I'll Wait to Jump, but Jump ain't ever gonna be pulled from the setlist and is what it is--a pretty damn satisfying confetti encore.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Of the poppier, keyboard driven songs, for some reason I always really dug I'll Wait. Something about DLR wanting that girl in the magazine, he just really sells the song, IMO. :)

Prefer I'll Wait to Jump, but Jump ain't ever gonna be pulled from the setlist and is what it is--a pretty damn satisfying confetti encore.

Oh don't get me wrong I love I'll Wait. Great lyrics and vocals from Dave and a great guitar solo. It's just one of those songs I wouldn't mind sacrificing for one of the new ones.

I'm just basing this on that 2007 set list. Who knows, we could have something totally revamped by the time the tour proper starts. :thumbsup:

The State College show is now cancelled.

Just got the word.

Wow, that's a bummer for anyone who had tickets. Must have been selling poorly or something?

I can't and won't say how many tickets were actually sold, but I will say that yes, it was selling very poorly.

Edited by The Real McCoy

Totally agree on PW and put Dancing In the Street in the same category. If you have to play those because they're old hits and appeal to the wider female audience, jam a few of these into a cool, quick medley and leave more time for the new stuff. It's gotta be a tough balancing act, but hopefully with the great reviews and overwheliming fan feedback, they add more and more new songs to the setlist...

Disagreed. Dancing in the Streets is fucking incredible on EVH's guitar, and I'd love to see it done live. That crazy riff with the delay and everything is masterful.

Dancing In The Street was supposed to be an original VH song, but Dave turned it into a cover version. It was definitely a part in rising tensions towards the end of the classic era.

God, I love this album more and more every time I listen. I think it is better than some of their classic 6 albums! And it's longer, too, which is great! If it took having his kid in the band to get Dave back and make an album, then Michael Anthony is a small sacrifice. I really couldn't give a rat's ass about him anymore. I think the bass playing is actually better on this album. Imagine that, the offspring of the guitar god of the late 70s and pretty much all of the 80's has a kid that plays well. And I think they've got the backing vocals about 80% covered between Ed and Dave's layering and if Wolf is on there, then him too. This was worth the wait on the one hand, but Jesus, what a waste those Hagar years were, truly! I mean, the best I ever got at reconciling the Van Hagar period was, "Well, some of the songs aren't THAT bad..." and that might be true that they weren't THAT bad, but they also weren't THAT good, either. These ARE that good! And more! Sorry Sammy, but it's true, you made Van Halen suck. It might not have been all Sammy's fault, but his influence over the band changed Ed's playing, too, for the worse. Dave brings out the best in Ed, and man has he done it again! Ed sounds incredible! I think he picked up a few new tricks in the last couple years. These solos are faster and cooler than ever! Damn this is a good record. They haven't lost a damn thing. I hope they put out a few more records before they hang it up for good.

Wolf's the one who wanted to work with Ed and Dave. He had already been playing in bands - I'm pretty sure the school he went to is the same Axl's neighbors would have sent their kids to school to.

I think Sam kept VH relevant in the 80s and 90s, and I do like some of the songs from that era, but wish he wrote better lyrics. At 64, his voice has held up really well.

I think Sam's in a great place, and so are the Van Halens with Dave. If Ed didn't hate Sam so much, we'd prob. be seeing Chickenfoot opening for Van Halen with Ed coming out to play a few songs, and a short Van Hagar set happening, as well as Mike on a few songs with VH. No rivalry, no Sam vs Dave, just a night of the VH legacy.

It's entirely possible that Ed hasn't recorded a damn thing. These could be 10-20 year old solos, because he kept recording solo upon solo over the years. It prob. made the sessions go fast the way they did it, instead of trying to create something entirely new. I'd actually like to see them add in Can't Get This Stuff No More. I'd love to see them add in Drop Dead Legs & House of Pain.

Setlist for the dress rehearsal gig. This will surely be expanded upon for the full show:

You Really Got Me

Runnin' With The Devil

She's The Woman

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Tattoo

Everybody Wants Some!!

Beautiful Girls

Ice Cream Man

China Town

Dance The Night Away

Hot For Teacher

Blood And Fire

EVH Solo

Panama

Jump

I hope there's more new stuff.

Hope they add You and Your Blues and Tattoo, at least. And where the fuck is Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love?!

Tattoo was played. It's there. ;)

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love was played at the show on the 1st.

Oops, missed Tattoo. But I'd still be pissed if I didn't hear ATBL