Chinese Democracy tracklist

Twinaleblood

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put in chronological order once by when it was written. So it kind of went from opening with TIL to Sorry.

"This I Love" - (1994-2007)

TIL was started before 1994. Check these quotes I have on the song:

Axl: I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called 'This I Love', that's the heaviest thing that I've ever done [Hit Parader, 1993].

Dave Dominguez: 'This I Love' is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the 'Illusion' records. I like that song a lot.. it took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes because they finished recording 'Use Your Illusions' on the road and one tape was in Paris another in London and another in Sydney, I believe [Dave Dominguez, elsewhere, April 2005].

Axl: ['This I Love' is] still [the heaviest thing I've written] and ultimately a great healing experience to compose something you have no real idea you're capable of such as the bridge. It's a lot more intricate than I think most realize yet as the guitar and vocals are placed as they should be so dominant. The main string melody in that section I had originally written to a hip-hop loop as well [chinesedemocracy.com, December 13, 2008].

Axl, explaining what he is most proud of: Right now a lot on [Chinese Democracy]. For me musically it would have to be the orchestral arrangement in the bridge of TIL [chinesedemocracy.com, December 13, 2008].

Axl, talking about making Chinese Democracy: I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support [mygnrforum.com, December 14, 2008].

Axl, paraphrased: This may be the only GN'R song written in France [Concert in Amnéville, France, September 2010].

Dj, talking about his favorite song off Chinese Democracy: Probably ‘This I Love’ is one that really hooked me, because it’s just a great song, lyrically and musically; it goes through a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s very heartfelt, you can tell [Classic Rock Magazine; June 23, 2011].

Source: http://www.a-4-d.com/t158-this-i-love#186

Edited by SoulMonster

I get thenimpression that TIL and Catcher aren't strictly CD era. To me those songs are like in a twilight zone between the albums. That's why I find it interesting to listen to them then Chi dem starts up. Also the material gets more concise towards the end finishing on Sorry is kind of amazing.

So Prostitute is kind of like the dawn of a new era rather than the end. It fades into Shacklers or Better.

I believe Better was recorded between 2001 and 2002, at least the instrumentals, because Paul Tobias was still there. But he wasnt on any Bucket's songs, so I assume these were from sometime between 2002 and, obviously, 2004.

There is also this problem: I believe that songs like Scraped and If The World were already recorded by 2003 or so, but Axl only recorded the verses by 2005-06. So its kinda hard to put a single date for those tracks...

I know Catcher was sort of a last minute idea. Atlas Shrugged was almost in the place of it if I remember correctly.

Not sure where this came from, but if Axl said he wasn't happy with Atlas mix, I guess it wasn't that last minute - I mean, maybe it was still in 2007, I guess.