Chinese Democracy tracklist

Twinaleblood

I was talking about this in the "touche" thread that got deleted (I suppose). Nothing really new here, but it's a topic that has always intrigued me.

How did you think Axl picked the songs for CD? Is it possible that the tracklist was influenced by the Antiquiet leaks? There was a buzz about this a couple of years ago I think.

Those leaks came in June, wasn't the album ready to go by then? Was there enough time to do any major changes in the songlist? I also remember reading somewhere that it was supposed to be 13 tracks and Catcher was a last time addition.

And what about that back cover artwork circulating around 2007? I mean this one.

Everybody used to say it was fake, but since the album came out I think I read more than one person claiming it was legit, maybe an early draft or something: are there any facts that proves this?

Edited by Twinaleblood

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those songs were Axls " opening statements" to the world to begin his comeback and were specifically picked as a message to fans, ex girls and bandmates, and a curious general public. I think those songs leaked when they where being finished for whatever reason and the other cd songs were intentionally held out for future releases.

I feel like the leaks definitely affected the tracklist. Also, ya know what's interesting? Axl did not want to do This I Love. At all. Now they play it at every show.

Hmmmm I'm not quite so sure about the truthfulness about Axl's comment there. He did say it, but I'm not sure he means it. He wrote it in 1993. It was going to be used on What Dreams May Come in 1998. They play it at every show and they also bother to record, mix and master the track. Why go to the effort of recording the whole thing with the orchestra, strings, etc and have it mixed and mastered if he did not want it out?

I feel like the leaks definitely affected the tracklist. Also, ya know what's interesting? Axl did not want to do This I Love. At all. Now they play it at every show.

Hmmmm I'm not quite so sure about the truthfulness about Axl's comment there. He did say it, but I'm not sure he means it. He wrote it in 1993. It was going to be used on What Dreams May Come in 1998. They play it at every show and they also bother to record, mix and master the track. Why go to the effort of recording the whole thing with the orchestra, strings, etc and have it mixed and mastered if he did not want it out?

Maybe not on THIS album?

Meh, don't know why. But that Touche clip sounded really amateurish. Also, the track was faster than the intro used during the shows, and I don't think Axl would bother to slow down the orchestral parts of that song to use it as a show intro. Also, as one user pointed out, the drums seem to be taken from chinese democracy (the song). But we're going OT here :xmasssanta:

Back in topic: if that early back cover is fan made, the guy really NAILED the fonts and the colors.

Edited by Twinaleblood

Really? We're d'you read that? Though Axl loved the song...

I don't know, I think the leaks might well have affected the tracks, it's a bit of a hectic all over the place album in terms of style, which isn't a negative thing at all, look at Physical Graffiti for instance. There were no signs of some of the tracks over the ChiDem touring cycle so who knows what his intentions were.

Axl said in that interview in early 2006 when talking about it that the album would have thirteen tracks. Of course, things or plans can change, but I always found it rather curious that it ended up with fourteen. One more. So, what is the extra one? Didn't Axl say way back in 2002 that Riad wouldn't be on the first album? Now it is, of course. Again, plans can change, but I can't help but wonder if Riad leaking had anything to do with it being on the album. It had leaked anyways so perhaps they figured they'd put it on for shits and giggles.

Yeah, it may be fake, but this was circulating LONG before CD release (i think it's from 2006 / 2007) so if it's fake, the guy who made it nailed almost the same fonts and colors of the actual artwork, that's weird.

That's what lends it some authenticity, in my opinion.

And that's what gets me excited about potentially, some day, seeing the rest of the CD sessions. Some people are of the opinion that Axl put the best stuff on CD and the rest would be stuff he didn't deem good enough. I personally never felt that to be the case, but if the above track list was real at some point, that blows up the theory that the rest of the CD stuff is leftovers.

I am DYING for some new material from Axl.

They were playing rhiad live back in 2002

Yes, but only 3 or 4 times. Axl mentioned at one point that neither that nor Silkworms would be on the first album. Now we know, of course, that Riad is on the album.

Dont remember him saying anything about this. I do remember a supposed interview with Dizzy talking about that, even though there were some questionable stuff there (dunno exactly, but I do remember people question it).

Riad was always on the setlist, from 2001 to 2007 and, after the release, it was there till 2010, I guess. Yeah, they didt play it much, but neither TWAT.

Edited: about the leaks, I think it was not coincidence. Once the songs were sent to Andy Wallace for prior mixing and Universal execs, it all got leaked. Save for Better, IRS and TWAT, that were out there in very rough demos supposed leaked from one of Axl's night club auditions.

What I mean is: once they were sorting the tracklist and sending the songs for people to work on it, then it started to leak. Thats why the tracklist was the same: they wouldnt send like all the songs for the next album for Andy Wallace if they were not supposed to be released with the 1st batch.

Edited by Voodoochild