Chicago Show at the HOB 2/18

Birk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl was in fact sick. I spoke to beta today for about 15 mins and she said Axl is real sick. Said if there was a show that day he would have to cancel. He was resting trying to get better.

Anyone have Madagascar from live stream on YouTube link?

yeah he definately sounded like he wasn't right in some songs, hopefully he's on the improve!

Edited by gunns5

Axl was in fact sick. I spoke to beta today for about 15 mins and she said Axl is real sick. Said if there was a show that day he would have to cancel. He was resting trying to get better.

Don't tell that to all the people who want to urge Axl to retire based off the show last night. That will undermine their argument that he sucks and has lost all of his singing talent since 2010.

Ali

Yeah, I figured he was sick. Really hope he gets better by Friday!

Also, here ya go:

It's around 1:30 where Axl has his eye on you being taken out of the area.

being at the show i couldnt notice how axl sounded for some of these songs, oh well it was awesome to see live

I was front and center for the show! Highlight was when I started yelling used to love her and then they started playing it! I was jamming out the whole time all the way up too Madagascar. I passed out and was rushed to a medical room in the backstage area. I couldn't breath and lost my heart beat. I was loaded into the ambulance and rushed to er. I survived and released a few hours later. Most exciting time and yet scariest moment of my live! Today was starting to head home but decided to stop by the hotel band was stayin at. Met Beta, Dizzy, Tommy, Del, Dj, Ron, Frank, and Richard! Would have met Axl but I would have had to wait till 8pm and I was still feeling the effects and started to head home. Tommy was real nice too me this time :)

I saw you getting pulled out, man! That was some scary stuff. You looked completely gone. I'm not sure if anyone else told you yet, but it looked like Axl was watching you as you were passing out. Glad to hear you ended up being alright, though. And that's awesome that you got to meet some of the crew! Nicely done. :)

I am glad that you are OK! I saw you from the opera box and being a PICU nurse I wanted to help you! The show was EPIC!!!! I can't believe that AXL puts on a show like that night after night! I hope he gets over his cold! He is such a trooper! This was my 11th show and I think it was my fav!

Just got back from Chicago, thought I would share my experience. First off Platinum Roses, and (forgive me I forgot your friends screen name) you guys are the shit, send me PM here on MYGNR so we can exchange contact info!

So my friend Rick Dunsford, messaged me and said he was going to the Chicago show, so I got my tickets and we planned to go to the Chicago show together. I met Rick in Nashville and we've stayed in touch ever since. Anyways, I flew from California to Nashville TN. and visited friends and family for a few days, until I met Rick and his friend Dustin in Memphis. From there, the three of us hit the road and made the crazy road trip to Chicago. The road trip to and from Chicago was worthy of a topic all to itself, but I'll leave those stories for me, Dustin, and Rick haha.

Anyways we arrive in Chicago, park our car at the hotel, and hurry over to the House of Blues to get in line. The sun wasn't out by the time we got in line, and it was insanely cold. We were the first 3 in line. We hung out and met GNR fans from 5am or 6am all the way till the time the gates opened and the crowd stormed in to the stage area.

Keep in mind, none of us had slept. We were all running on nothing but energy drinks. Except for me, I took the opportunity to grab some food at the House of Blues. Which I was not impressed with.

So, the entire day I was trying to figure out a way to get a GOLD VIP pass so I could go in 15 minutes early with my friends, because by the time I could buy my ticket they had sold out of VIP passes. I sold both of my GA Main Floor tickets that I owned and purchased a GA Main Floor ticket at the venue, so I made some cash that I could use to get my pass. I tried all day to make it happen, but I wasn't having any luck. Finally the guys with the VIP passes came out, and started handing them out, and so I found my opportunity. I waited till they passed them all out, and I approached the two guys, after a few minutes of talking, I had my GOLD VIP pass. I jumped into the VIP line just as they started letting people in, and managed to get front center with my friends. With a sigh of relief, I settled in for a Legend.... wait for it...DARY! night

And Legendary it was. I saw a fight, a guy get tossed for crowd surfing, chicks flashing the band, and my friend died. But we'll get to that....

so the opening band Electric Sun takes the stage, and they played their set, which was pretty good. One of the best opening bands I've seen for GNR. Played an upbeat set, and kept it short and simple. Well done indeed. So after Electric Sun wrapped up, we all got ourselves ready to enter the Jungle.

I met Platinum Roses and his friend, and we all talked GNR. I showed them a sign I snuck in which read "I came to see Kat Benzova" if you don't know who that is, it's the GNR Photographer who is smoking hot. I waited till she came strutting out, and caught her attention and showed her the sign. She loved it, and so me and the guys front center started making our "Kat Calls" throughout the night. We started a "We want Kat" chant. It was a really fun way to pass the time between sets. Kat took a pic of all of us with the sign. What a classy lady.

So Dexter Theme starts, DJ rips into Chinese, and the band takes the stage.

My thoughts on GNR...

1. Axl was clearly not feeling well. Big difference in energy from the Nashville show and Chicago. (Big props to him playing anyways, and doing as well as he did)

2. Even though we were super close to the band, I still prefer the arena shows, band has so much more room to run around and work the stage. I missed seeing DJ act like a monkey with a guitar and leaping off of speakers and flying through the air. I also missed the pyro. The club setting in nice, I loved being super close to the band, I just prefer the arena.

So by the time the band gets to Nightrain, we are all feeling the effects of no sleep. Rick mentions to me that he's not feeling well. I'm thinking that he's just dehydrated, because after all all he has had to drink is energy drinks. And it was really hot in the venue. So the band goes into Maddy, and Rick's body can finally take no more, and he drops. we all grab him and help him over the railing. I'm still under the impression that he's just dehydrated and that they are going to give him water and he will be ok. So Dustin makes his way through the crowd to stay with Rick, and I stay where I am, because we were at the show to accomplish a goal of meeting Axl, and get Axl to sign Ricks GNR tattoo. So I stayed to tell Bumblefoot what's happened to Rick. I ended up not being able to tell Ron what happened to Rick because it was too loud. He signed my VIP pass, and I ended up catching DJ's pick and a 4Tus pick. Also got to shake Axl's hand during Better.

So after everyone started clearing out, I caught sight of a couple friends I met in Nashville, and they told me that Rick had actually died, that his heart had stopped, and that they had, had to start it again. So everything suddenly got really serious. We all left the venue, and made our way to the hospital where Rick was. I made my way back to his room and told him what happened after he left. He told me how after they had revived him he begged the staff to let him go back and finish the show. Rick was really down, everyone was.

Rick told me to go back to the room and get some sleep, so I would be good to drive. I got the room key from Rick and made my way back to our room. Next morning Rick and Dustin showed up, and we got everything packed up and checked out of the hotel room. None of us wanted to leave Chicago like this, so I asked Rick if he wanted to swing by GNR's hotel and see if they were still in Chicago. So we did...

And we see GNR's tour bus. Which meant they were still in town. We park, and set up camp outside of the hotel and wait in the cold for a chance to meet the band. In about 20 - 30 minutes our patience is rewarded when we meet Dizzy Reed. Another 20 minutes go by and we meet Tommy. Tommy usually doesn't do pictures, but he takes pics with all of us, and is super nice. So now we have met Dizzy and Tommy. A couple of hours goes by and the vehicles start rolling in to pick up the band. We see Del James and we talk to him, shortly after we get to meet the Thunderchucker, which I was very excited about because Frank is my favorite GNR drummer ever. I tell him that, and he goes "Thanks man, that means a lot, you should tell Axl that when you meet him." which I promised him I would do. We take pictures with Del, Frank, Richard, and Mothergoose. Then the hotel doors open again, and we see DJ, and we go talk to him. Then Ron comes out. We take pictures with everyone in the band. I swear it was better than Christmas!

I was rocking my AshbaSwag grunge beanie, so I talked with Ashba about AshbaSwag for a bit, before we can get too far into conversation, the hotel staff comes out and tries to run us off saying that if we are not guests of the hotel, or guests of guests staying at the hotel that we have to leave, and DJ steps up and says "They are our guests". Hotel staff continues to try and run us off and DJ goes "Screw it we'll just go with you guys." so we move to a different location and talk a little bit more with the DJ and Ron. We finally say our good byes, and wish them well in Detroit, and we go back to our camp out sight and wait for our chance to meet Axl.

We wait for another hour, and I see Vanessa, shortly after I see Beta, so I talk to Beta, and tell her what we're trying to get done for Rick. Everyone remembers Rick for what happened to him at the show. Beta tells us that Axl however is running a temperature and is in bed sick, and asleep. We take pics with Beta, because it's Beta haha. So we thank her for talking to us, and we hop in our car, and leave Chicago. Our spirits restored, and our trip saved. I've seen GNR 3 times now, and can't wait to go back into the Jungle for a 4th time.

It's really amazing that Axl was as good as he was, as bad as he felt. Big props to Axl for doing the show.

Anyways we arrive in Chicago, park our car at the hotel, and hurry over to the House of Blues to get in line. The sun wasn't out by the time we got in line, and it was insanely cold. We were the first 3 in line. We hung out and met GNR fans from 5am or 6am all the way till the time the gates opened and the crowd stormed in to the stage area.

Keep in mind, none of us had slept. We were all running on nothing but energy drinks. Except for me, I took the opportunity to grab some food at the House of Blues. Which I was not impressed with.

WOW!!!!!! That's commitment, bro. I plan on getting in line at like 11 or noon, you were in line at 5am? You were at the HoB for 24 hours, practically!!!!!

WOW!!!!!! That's commitment, bro. I plan on getting in line at like 11 or noon, you were in line at 5am? You were at the HoB for 24 hours, practically!!!!!

It's so worth it though! At the end of the night though after getting back from seeing Rick at the hospital, I could barely walk. It was so good to get some sleep.