Honestly if the record company is the problem

tange

I wouldn't be surprised if GH is re-released for the HOF

Well that's an ugly thought. Can't they release a better version of it then? Lots of bands have multiple greatest hits without much material...the Doors for one.

On that note, here's my dream tracklisting for "The Legacy Of Guns N Roses"

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2. Nightrain

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Paradise City

5. Sweet Child Of Mine

6. Rocket Queen

7. Used To Love Her

8. Patience

9. Live And Let Die

10. Don't Cry

11. November Rain

12. Civil War

13. Knockin On Heaven's Door (Live Era)

14. Estranged

15. You Could Be Mine

16. Hair Of The Dog

17. Chinese Democracy

18. Better

19. Street Of Dreams

20. There Was A Time

We will find out for sure. I have a feeling if a new record is not out by Jan 2013 then there will be no album in the near future.

If we don't hear any real, tangible, news about the next album before the end of the year, I would not expect to see new material until YEARS from now, if ever. To echo what I've said before, it really is 2012 or bust.

I've often been suspicious of when claims are made such as, "the record company is blocking the release," or "we wanted to release the material, but we had problems with the record company." This line of thinking always indicates that the band plays no part in the problem. When someone in the band claims that the reason for holding up new material is issues with the record company, all that tells me is there's a disagreement between the band and the record company. And nine times out of ten it's about money. Most bands would be thrilled to get a major distribution and marketing deal with the label, but large entities like Guns N' Roses and bands of their size often feel entitled because they bring more to the playing field.

It's not that the record company doesn't want a new Guns N' Roses album. When so many acts end up costing the labels money, they often rely on the big acts to make up their costs. Labels need bands like Guns N' Roses to keep material coming in so they can make a buck. They're not making money off of these little indie bands who will maybe sell 50k.

What's at issue is money. Both sides feel the other wants more than what they feel deserved. If positions are too far apart, then there's a stalemate. Which is what we got here, in my opinion. Unless label execs and GNR management (ie. Axl) can come to terms on a deal that they both feel good about, nothing will come out.

To say that if an album doesn't come out this year means it's the label's fault is not correct. The band could simply be holding out for a better deal than what they have already agreed or what's being offered. The deal with Best Buy allowed for the release of Chinese Democracy. It wasn't like Axl finally felt he was ready to release material - it was that the money was there to shore up the band's financial obligations. Presuming Axl/GNR no longer owes money to Universal/Geffen, they hold a bit more leverage with respect to current and future agreements.

People need to stop looking at moments like the R&RHOF induction, Rock in Rio, and the club tour as if they're the circumstances that are prompting potential release of new music. One of those might coincide with business arraignments, but first and foremost, it's about money. You're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

I've often been suspicious of when claims are made such as, "the record company is blocking the release," or "we wanted to release the material, but we had problems with the record company." This line of thinking always indicates that the band plays no part in the problem. When someone in the band claims that the reason for holding up new material is issues with the record company, all that tells me is there's a disagreement between the band and the record company. And nine times out of ten it's about money. Most bands would be thrilled to get a major distribution and marketing deal with the label, but large entities like Guns N' Roses and bands of their size often feel entitled because they bring more to the playing field.

It's not that the record company doesn't want a new Guns N' Roses album. When so many acts end up costing the labels money, they often rely on the big acts to make up their costs. Labels need bands like Guns N' Roses to keep material coming in so they can make a buck. They're not making money off of these little indie bands who will maybe sell 50k.

What's at issue is money. Both sides feel the other wants more than what they feel deserved. If positions are too far apart, then there's a stalemate. Which is what we got here, in my opinion. Unless label execs and GNR management (ie. Axl) can come to terms on a deal that they both feel good about, nothing will come out.

To say that if an album doesn't come out this year means it's the label's fault is not correct. The band could simply be holding out for a better deal than what they have already agreed or what's being offered. The deal with Best Buy allowed for the release of Chinese Democracy. It wasn't like Axl finally felt he was ready to release material - it was that the money was there to shore up the band's financial obligations. Presuming Axl/GNR no longer owes money to Universal/Geffen, they hold a bit more leverage with respect to current and future agreements.

People need to stop looking at moments like the R&RHOF induction, Rock in Rio, and the club tour as if they're the circumstances that are prompting potential release of new music. One of those might coincide with business arraignments, but first and foremost, it's about money. You're only fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great post. Sad thing is, the fall-out from stalemates like this is that the fans who love the band are missing out on hearing more new music. I certainly hope they figure out a way to get more new music out soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great post. Sad thing is, the fall-out from stalemates like this is that the fans who love the band are missing out on hearing more new music. I certainly hope they figure out a way to get more new music out soon.

GNR, like most bands, make their money on the road anyway. Unless they get a sweatheart deal, there's not much incentive for them to release music through the typical channels. At this point, if Axl can't get a deal he can agree with, why not just pull a Radiohead and self-release. The only thing holding that possibility up is if the band still owes the record company another album or two. I suppose the band could buy out their contract, but that's probably prohibitively costly.

You're right, when things go south it's always the fans who suffer. But then again, it's not our livelihoods, pride, art on the line. So I can only get disappointed, not upset. Really should have no bearing on my own life.

Then we burn their house down.

:lol:

They might take us a little more seriously if we sign off by saying "With that said, if a Guns N' Roses album is not produced by the end of 2012...We will burn your houses to the ground. Signed, The Fans"

If by not handing the band a blank check and hoping for an album anytime soon, makes It the record companies fault, then yes, the record company Is, and will be a problem. There's not a record company In there right mind going to go through that fiasco again.

My feeling is the record company has basically said 'we gave you 15mil... You owe us x more albums... Aside from the actual duplication of the disk we are done paying you PERIOD' and I wouldn't blame them... They've been putting up with axls shit since 1994... What they should do is sue axl for breach of contract..., that would get a fire under his ass to pay for the finishing touches and give them the next album!

My feeling is the record company has basically said 'we gave you 15mil... You owe us x more albums... Aside from the actual duplication of the disk we are done paying you PERIOD' and I wouldn't blame them... They've been putting up with axls shit since 1994... What they should do is sue axl for breach of contract..., that would get a fire under his ass to pay for the finishing touches and give them the next album!

There will NOT be a new GNR record this year.

Anyone banking on that will just be let down.

There is no chance in HELL of there being a new record this year. If they were even close we'd be hearing about it. You can't hide info in this day and age.

To say that if an album doesn't come out this year means it's the label's fault is not correct.

Actually I think the OP was saying that if new music is not released this year, it will prove it's NOT the label's fault.

The New York Times ran an article a couple months ago about the tremendous boost in sales that historically follows an artist's induction into the HOF. Here's a quote:

This hall-of-fame effect is well established in the recording industry. For instance, sales of Bee Gees albums surged to 1.1 million in 1997, the year of the group’s induction, from 210,000 in 1996. Sales of Fleetwood Mac albums jumped to 3.2 million in 1998, when that band was inducted, from 483,000 in 1997, according to SoundScan.

So the record company has a huge financial incentive to release new GNR music this year. Ergo, if new music fails to materialize, it must be the band's (i.e. Axl's) fault.

Not saying I necessarily agree with this analysis, but I think it's what the OP was saying. For one thing, it seems to me the financial incentive runs both ways. But personally I would never pretend to understand the convoluted inner workings of the music industry.

There will NOT be a new GNR record this year.

Anyone banking on that will just be let down.

Adding dates is definitely a sign of not going into the studio anytime soon, but that doesn't mean we won't hear new music. There's always a possibility of a soundtrack, or put a song out for digital download. I'm sure there's one song ready & waiting to be released, and with no record company, has the power to just put it out.

Well that's an ugly thought. Can't they release a better version of it then? Lots of bands have multiple greatest hits without much material...the Doors for one.

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2. Nightrain

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Paradise City

5. Sweet Child Of Mine

6. Rocket Queen

7. Used To Love Her

8. Patience

9. Live And Let Die

10. Don't Cry

11. November Rain

12. Civil War

14. Estranged

15. You Could Be Mine

16. Hair Of The Dog

17. Chinese Democracy

18. Better

19. Street Of Dreams

20. There Was A Time

You would put LALD, Heaven's Door and Hair Of The Dog on it??!!!!!!!!!!

To say that if an album doesn't come out this year means it's the label's fault is not correct.

Actually I think the OP was saying that if new music is not released this year, it will prove it's NOT the label's fault.

The New York Times ran an article a couple months ago about the tremendous boost in sales that historically follows an artist's induction into the HOF. Here's a quote:

This hall-of-fame effect is well established in the recording industry. For instance, sales of Bee Gees albums surged to 1.1 million in 1997, the year of the group’s induction, from 210,000 in 1996. Sales of Fleetwood Mac albums jumped to 3.2 million in 1998, when that band was inducted, from 483,000 in 1997, according to SoundScan.

So the record company has a huge financial incentive to release new GNR music this year. Ergo, if new music fails to materialize, it must be the band's (i.e. Axl's) fault.

Not saying I necessarily agree with this analysis, but I think it's what the OP was saying. For one thing, it seems to me the financial incentive runs both ways. But personally I would never pretend to understand the convoluted inner workings of the music industry.

Yes.

And to Andrew. you say money (terms) is the problem. You don't think the record company is willing to budge if they can parlay more sales off the HOF? of course they would. give Axl what he wants and make it back on the back end.

The HOF is free advertising. the record company will certainly try to get something released. why do you think Slash is working on his album right now.

1. Welcome To The Jungle

2. Nightrain

3. Mr. Brownstone

4. Paradise City

5. Sweet Child Of Mine

6. Rocket Queen

7. Used To Love Her

8. Patience

9. Live And Let Die

10. Don't Cry

11. November Rain

12. Civil War

14. Estranged

15. You Could Be Mine

16. Hair Of The Dog

17. Chinese Democracy

18. Better

19. Street Of Dreams

20. There Was A Time

You would put LALD, Heaven's Door and Hair Of The Dog on it??!!!!!!!!!!

Only because two are known as big hits, and the other is the best song off the Spaghetti Incident...