House Of Blues, West Hollywood, Califórnia, USA

Hatchepsut

I am looking forward to hearing what Guns N Roses sound like on record with DJ. I have faith he can contribute something cool. What Robin did on Chinese Democracy is great, its his live performance and his stage presence I'm not a fan of. He butchered the solos for the old tunes.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an artist you like talks about what they are doing you like it, if it's someone you don't like it's annoying.

Actually wasted,that's an excellent synopsis of the entire contents of this thread.

Nothing was proven,nothing was accomplished,nobody's views were changed, Angry exchanges ,diverse viewpoints,the lifeblood of the internet.

I am looking forward to hearing what Guns N Roses sound like on record with DJ. I have faith he can contribute something cool. What Robin did on Chinese Democracy is great, its his live performance and his stage presence I'm not a fan of. He butchered the solos for the old tunes.

Ok, I respect your opinion. But you really don't notice Ashba fucking up solos too?

Why does everyone equate good rock songs with complexity? A song does not have to be extremely complex to be an amazing rock song. If complexity were essential, AC/DC wouldn't have sold a damn record. Many of the greatest rock songs of all time are known for their simplicity. I think Ashba brings that old school type of simplicity to the band. Along with Fortus and Bumblefoot's technical playing, it will bring a balance to the songs between complex guitar playing and that old school rock simplicity.

Wow, drawing the comparison between Slash and DJ Ashba?

Slash does gigs with a wide variety of pop artists, sometimes in massive venues like the Super Bowl, and he has a few endorsements/sponsorships. He has a Gibson LP signature guitar on the market, along with a few t shirts, chains, buttons, and limited quantity of autographed plaques available on his online store. You would never hear Slash talk about any of those things though, he probably has no idea they're even on sale. Slash also co wrote songs and played lead guitar in one of the most well known rock bands ever, I think we can make the argument he cemented his name in rock n roll history.

DJ Ashba sells miniature replica guitars, hoodies, beanies, ringtones, head gear, iphone skins, womens swim wear, "stage clothes inspired by ashba", children's clothes, "swag for the demented", gift cards, "demented collection" signature guitars that look like demented shit. He plugs these things every chance he gets in every interview. DJ Ashba played lead guitar in a bar band, and co wrote a mediocre album with a washed up Motley Crue, he also co wrote some other albums with a washed up Nikki Sixx side project. Now he's a hired gun in whats left of one of the most well known rock bands ever.

the thread title is very appropriate, I can't understand you people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfqqawS6kc

RADIO DISNEY

Purple glitter magic turning him into a cartoon.

yeah its a kids show, a show both of his kids watch and adore, whats your point

Now please link the videos where Slash has randomly plugged this cartoon constantly. You won't find it. Unlike DJ who plugs excessively.

He's pluging just by being there. Like I said, he's a super hero, he sell his image, just imagine how many kids saw that and said "wow this guy is totally badass, I wanna be just like him".

In fact, when GH3 was released, you have no idea of how many younger kids from my school came to me asking "hey, you're a "metalhead" right? do you know where can I find some songs from Guns N' Roses? I played guitar hero and there was this guy, Slash, and he was fuckin awesome. I heard he did a solo carrer too, where do I get his CD's?"

And please don't tell me he's opening the eyes of the new generation to good music, they were kids that played a game with ONE Gn'R song and lots of other artists and he was more interested in Slash than, let's say Black Sabbath, Living Colour, Pearl Jam and other great bands.

Also there's a friend of mine on university that is a self declared Slash fan, but when I asked about Beggars and Hangers on, he didn't know what the fuck was that. He simply knew he (Slash) was totally badass for playing standin on a piano.

So because a bunch of kids you know are complete idiots, it's Slash's fault?

He's a rock star in the same league as Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Hendrix, Clapton etc. People knew about him way before Guitar Hero III, the man is a living legend and one of the most recognizable characters in rock n roll with a solid resume of great riff and solos under his belt. He's making a living off of being a rock star, but he legitimately earned it.

Why does everyone equate good rock songs with complexity? A song does not have to be extremely complex to be an amazing rock song. If complexity were essential, AC/DC wouldn't have sold a damn record. Many of the greatest rock songs of all time are known for their simplicity. I think Ashba brings that old school type of simplicity to the band. Along with Fortus and Bumblefoot's technical playing, it will bring a balance to the songs between complex guitar playing and that old school rock simplicity.

I dont think we were talking about "extremely complex" but rather the CD level - which is not that complex if you just look to their structure. We were talking about generic power-chord-driven songs that are way too simple. And they don't need Ashba to write simplistic songs, for sure.

Hell, we already have a full album with very straight foward cover songs called TSI and even tho there are cool tracks, I rather have the CD complexity.

Slash does gigs with a wide variety of pop artists, sometimes in massive venues like the Super Bowl, and he has a few endorsements/sponsorships. He has a Gibson LP signature guitar on the market, along with a few t shirts, chains, buttons, and limited quantity of autographed plaques available on his online store. You would never hear Slash talk about any of those things though, he probably has no idea they're even on sale. Slash also co wrote songs and played lead guitar in one of the most well known rock bands ever, I think we can make the argument he cemented his name in rock n roll history.

DJ Ashba sells miniature replica guitars, hoodies, beanies, ringtones, head gear, iphone skins, womens swim wear, "stage clothes inspired by ashba", children's clothes, "swag for the demented", gift cards, "demented collection" signature guitars that look like demented shit. He plugs these things every chance he gets in every interview. DJ Ashba played lead guitar in a bar band, and co wrote a mediocre album with a washed up Motley Crue, he also co wrote some other albums with a washed up Nikki Sixx side project. Now he's a hired gun in whats left of one of the most well known rock bands ever.

RADIO DISNEY

Now please link the videos where Slash has randomly plugged this cartoon constantly. You won't find it. Unlike DJ who plugs excessively.

He's pluging just by being there. Like I said, he's a super hero, he sell his image, just imagine how many kids saw that and said "wow this guy is totally badass, I wanna be just like him".

In fact, when GH3 was released, you have no idea of how many younger kids from my school came to me asking "hey, you're a "metalhead" right? do you know where can I find some songs from Guns N' Roses? I played guitar hero and there was this guy, Slash, and he was fuckin awesome. I heard he did a solo carrer too, where do I get his CD's?"

And please don't tell me he's opening the eyes of the new generation to good music, they were kids that played a game with ONE Gn'R song and lots of other artists and he was more interested in Slash than, let's say Black Sabbath, Living Colour, Pearl Jam and other great bands.

Also there's a friend of mine on university that is a self declared Slash fan, but when I asked about Beggars and Hangers on, he didn't know what the fuck was that. He simply knew he (Slash) was totally badass for playing standin on a piano.

He's a rock star in the same league as Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Hendrix, Clapton etc. People knew about him way before Guitar Hero III, the man is a living legend and one of the most recognizable characters in rock n roll with a solid resume of great riff and solos under his belt. He's making a living off of being a rock star, but he legitimately earned it.

That's exactly why Slash doesn't need to put on a disco ball top hat and join the BEP for the Super Bowl or Lil Wayne and a bunch of rappers for the VMA's... :shrugs:

What worse? A millionaire legendary rockstar doing ridiculous stuff for money or a not-so-well-known, soon-to-be-forgotten new guy that's trying to milk his almost famous status while he's still in the media spotlight? :shrugs:

What's worse, eh? :rofl-lol:

I dont think we were talking about "extremely complex" but rather the CD level - which is not that complex if you just look to their structure. We were talking about generic power-chord-driven songs that are way too simple. And they don't need Ashba to write simplistic songs, for sure.

Hell, we already have a full album with very straight foward cover songs called TSI and even tho there are cool tracks, I rather have the CD complexity.

Have you heard Izzy solo songs? It CANNOT get any simpler than that. Have you heard You Could Be Mine or Don't Cry? What's the difference? Axl. It's been said before in Slash's autobiography, if I'm not mistaken, that Axl turned Izzy's simplest songs into the hard rocking hits we know. So... I think that could be done with Ashba too.

Have you heard Izzy solo songs? It CANNOT get any simpler than that. Have you heard You Could Be Mine or Don't Cry? What's the difference? Axl. It's been said before in Slash's autobiography, if I'm not mistaken, that Axl turned Izzy's simplest songs into the hard rocking hits we know. So... I think that could be done with Ashba too.

Izzy didn't just pull out some chords and called it a song. Most of his GNR songs were built around a riff and even his simpliest songs were far from anything regarded as generic power chord based rock tunes.

But like I said before, of course Axl could manage to change an Ashba song into something monumental. The point was: why would they have all this hard work instead of just getting a better written song from the start?

Izzy didn't just pull out some chords and called it a song. Most of his GNR songs were built around a riff and even his simpliest songs were far from anything regarded as generic power chord based rock tunes.

But like I said before, of course Axl could manage to change an Ashba song into something monumental. The point was: why would they have all this hard work instead of just getting a better written song from the start?

Since we haven't heard any of the music, we don't know that they will be poorly written. If they don't like an idea, they won't work on it. If they like an idea, they will. Simple as that. It's not like the band will decide to spend time working on a song they don't like.

RADIO DISNEY

That's exactly why Slash doesn't need to put on a disco ball top hat and join the BEP for the Super Bowl or Lil Wayne and a bunch of rappers for the VMA's... :shrugs:

What worse? A millionaire legendary rockstar doing ridiculous stuff for money or a not-so-well-known, soon-to-be-forgotten new guy that's trying to milk his almost famous status while he's still in the media spotlight? :shrugs:

What's worse, eh? :rofl-lol:

Jimmy Page with Puff Daddy and that pop singer at the end of the 2008 Olympics wasn't ridiculous? Joe Perry was in the "Sgt Pepper" flop and on stage with Britney & N'Sync. Clapton was calling Buddy Guy on his Verizon cell phone.

I thought the commercials Slash did with Betty White for the LA Zoo were amusing. So what if it's not "rock and roll"? They're both animal lovers. Slash isn't thrilled with Trump's kids, either.

Edited by dalsh327

Nice point there, Like I said before, I'm really looking forward to the Ashba album. I really miss Robin and he's one of my favorite guitar player ever, but making another change on the lineup right now would make it even harder to release a new album.

No, he's not. These guys created the roots of rock music/ heavy metal. Gn'R is always noted as "An amazing band with hard hitting songs, but no revolutionary hits". Fact is, Slash is not the original like these guys you cited, he is a very good classic rock player, but he's definetely not an original game-changing guy like Hendrix, Van Halen or even Kurt Cobain, he was an asshole, but I gotta admit that he changed the rules back then.

BTW, what about the car commercial? He did that just for the money and publicity, or do you want me to believe that his kids are die hard fans of VW too (herbie fans, perhaps)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjD05flnlU

Edited by Chewbacca

Since we haven't heard any of the music, we don't know that they will be poorly written. If they don't like an idea, they won't work on it. If they like an idea, they will. Simple as that. It's not like the band will decide to spend time working on a song they don't like.

Are we getting into a full circle?

We don't know, but we can assume based on his carreer. Of course, like you said, if they don't like an idea, they won't work on it. And that was my point when someone said "oh, they can get a simple Ashba song and turn it in a masterpiece".

Maybe that's why this band still didn't hit the studio then?

DJ Ashba's a loser. But so is Axl. Yin and yang.

Ashba is north of 40, and dresses like he dresses.

Axl calls band mates he hasn't worked with since the 90s "cancer", and writes albums about chicks he hasn't banged since highlighted shoelaces were en vogue. And he keeps writing white trash vengeance essays about forum moderators.

Come on, brah. It's as bad as Slash doing PC with Fergie.

so what if slash sells out? have you wondered maybe he doesn't exactly give as much shit about how credible his rock n roll status is to a bunch of anonymous cunts on the net as you would like him to? Same with DJ. He sells shit because he made them and it's his merchandising. All this pointless bitching that means nothing in the end is fucking stupid.

so what if slash sells out? have you wondered maybe he doesn't exactly give as much shit about how credible his rock n roll status is to a bunch of anonymous cunts on the net as you would like him to? Same with DJ. He sells shit because he made them and it's his merchandising. All this pointless bitching that means nothing in the end is fucking stupid.

Wait, aren't you bitching? trollolol