Rose, Corgan: Same Dilema

auad

I was thinking. Axl and Corgan (Smashing Pumpkinks) live a similar situation. Lead singer of great bands, struggling to regain its place on the horizon. Each with its proportions, but the situation is the same.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking. Axl and Corgan (Smashing Pumpkinks) live a similar situation. Lead singer of great bands, struggling to regain its place on the horizon. Each with its proportions, but the situation is the same.

Billy Corgan is a straight up asshole who screwed C.Love. Putting them in the same sentence is blaspheme. Axl is by far better. Don't do it again.

I think Corgan has it a little easier because there really wasn't any other member who rivaled him in terms of popularity (Darcy and Chamberlin are well known amongst the fans of the band but in the general public I would argue that Corgan is the real "star") and Corgan was really the mastermind behind the majorty of their output. With GNR you have Slash who in the general public is just as well known as Axl and Axl was not the only mastermind behind the output of GNR from 87-93 (that was a team effort from everyone involved).

I think Corgan has it a little easier because there really wasn't any other member who rivaled him in terms of popularity (Darcy and Chamberlin are well known amongst the fans of the band but in the general public I would argue that Corgan is the real "star") and Corgan was really the mastermind behind the majorty of their output. With GNR you have Slash who in the general public is just as well known as Axl and Axl was not the only mastermind behind the output of GNR from 87-93 (that was a team effort from everyone involved).

real points...i agree.

I agree. Its hard to believe now but it always used to be just as much about Slash as Axl. People never had this idea that it was always Axls band because in them days it wasn't. Obviously the way it has turned out it has become just Axl steering the ship but in my opinion that hasnt been as functional.

I don't find it to be an exact comparison, but there are certainly many similarities.

Here are some of the differences though. While Corgan was the primary writing force for SP, it was a combo of Axl and Izzy that were the primary writing force for GNR. Some would say that gives Corgan more of a right to continue the band as the sole member of the classic lineup.

On the flipside however, SP broke up. They officially ended and everyone went their separate ways. Then later on, Billy decided to restart the band with one additional member of the classic lineup. GNR never broke up. Axl simply continued the band as people came and went. Some would say Axl would have more of a right to continue on since people quit the band as opposed to the whole band agreeing to break up and then one member later on deciding to restart things without the others.

Regardless of who is more entitled to continue on with the name of their band, Billy has struggled to re-establish himself as a touring force much more so than Axl has. This can be easily attributable to the fact that Axl makes it a priority to make sure the band continues to play their most well known songs while Billy goes out of his way to avoid playing most of SP's most well known songs.

I couldnt agree more... I was never a SP fans but have several friends that are/ were... I remember them complaining that the classics were not played. I want to say this was around 2006 or so SP was playing up in the NE possibly NY and my friend bought a ton of Tix thinking it would be sold out event and he would make a lot of cash selling tix on stubhub. needless-to-say he lost his ass and his wife was pissed!

Young Gun -

It's not a perfect comparison, but it's a better comparison than most. Axl and Billy are two guys trying to push forward with new music and new members and both are dealing with a lot of negative shit because of it. There are enough similarities for it to be interesting to think about IMO. There are obviously differences as well.

I personally think Billy was more in the right with carrying on with the Smashing Pumpkins name, given that he was responsible for the bulk of the writing. He did actually reach out to the original members but they declined to be part of the reunion at the time.

It's funny because both Chinese Democracy and Zeitgeist are great albums, but they're both either looked down upon or entirely ignored. Zeitgeist was the best Pumpkins album since what, like 1993? It could've been Mellon Collie if it wasn't full of so many mediocre-at-best songs.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

O, ok so it's the hat.

In no way is it the quality of the music he makes with his instrument

, what he brought to a song, or The way he could take over a recording with his

Breaks.

Hell I'm gonna go buy a tophat and rip up the music industry.lol

And why isn't Ashba as famous as slash? He is Axl's wingman, tophat, plays same licks, same band. Etc. Yes, that line of thinking is rediculi.

O, ok so it's the hat.

In no way is it the quality of the music he makes with his instrument

, what he brought to a song, or The way he could take over a recording with his

Breaks.

Hell I'm gonna go buy a tophat and rip up the music industry.lol

And why isn't Ashba as famous as slash? He is Axl's wingman, tophat, plays same licks, same band. Etc. Yes, that line of thinking is rediculi.

I'm having a Dilemma now,Guess this guy is a Poser too? Makes me Gently Weep.

topper.jpg

Billy Corgan is a straight up asshole who screwed C.Love. Putting them in the same sentence is blaspheme. Axl is by far better. Don't do it again.

vlcsnap2012032806h53m42.png

Corgan not only wrote the bulk of Smashing Pumpkins material but even played most of the other band members parts in the studio(sans drums) simply because it was faster that way. Not a good comparison I don't think.

yes. it is a good comparison, for sure.

Young Gun -

It's not a perfect comparison, but it's a better comparison than most. Axl and Billy are two guys trying to push forward with new music and new members and both are dealing with a lot of negative shit because of it. There are enough similarities for it to be interesting to think about IMO. There are obviously differences as well.

this.

Edited by auad

Another difference is that Corgan actively does things. Like he discusses the music industry, does interviews, releases free new Smashing Pumpkins EP's, etc. Still he doesn't play the old hits because he wants people to understand the new stuff, unlike Axl, who has mostly played the biggest hits for the last decade.