Dublin concert

jackrory

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I think SOD shouldnt be a staple; neither should Better.

Both are CD singles, it makes absolute sense to play those tracks. What was apparent to me at the show is the level of vocal effort that There Was A Time requires, because of that rendition it was clear Axl physically wouldn't be capable of an Asian encore. And let's consider the context, the 3rd show in an extensive season spanning tour schedule, it was an intimate statement to the gathering fans.

I can't articulate how much I appreciate that, & Axl's natural interaction with the audience. Backstage was an honour, personally & professionally Bumblefoot is a class act. I also liked speaking to Frank, DJ & Chris. Engaging in criticism of the current incarnation is more difficult with the benefit of experiencing Guns N' Roses in a less explicit, intimate environment. I don't have a sense of urgency regarding studio time now, because what was clear to me is that the players share a real, sustainable, almost indefinite chemistry.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4tus is a monster. Good stuff. If he had just a little more pop and focus - some catchy Joe Perry licks - there'd be no choice but to call him the lead guitarist.

Also, I agree that the Better/solo/solo/SOD spot is a weak point in the set. I think SOD shouldnt be a staple; neither should Better, neither should Sorry. Those are the three weakest songs on Chi Dem, imo, and they're the three which are always played! Shit.

Good job Axl putting TWAT as part of the encore - Chi Dem monsters like TWAT, CITR, IRS, Prostitute could be rotated and maybe put one or two in the encore. Shackler's should be a staple and Scraped and Riad could be rotated or coupled, probably in the main set to keep the momentum going. Take Better/SOD out and put in those and you've got a lean machine. OMG, Silkworms or even Down on the Farm could be nice addition also, probably towards the end. Then again a new fucking song would go great too.

Btw, that Rosie was the best one I've seen in...maybe a couple years. That's a good indicator of Axl's voice. Nice Boys is probably around the corner!

Good job Frank, you're a beast.

Dont confuse your opinion with common sense. SOD and Better are two of the most accesible and liked songs on Chinese. I don't like This I Love that much (IMO, the only thing good is the solo), but I can understand that people like the song.

Awesome show last night....but I had to leave early...During "Another Brick in the Wall" as my daughter's head was been blown away (she is just 10 so give her a break guys)......but while there I recorded what I heard and it hasn't come out to bad.

Should I up this incompete Audio (Flac) or is there news of another recording appearing???

If I'm to up it it will be available tomorrow afternoon (slow connection)

Here is a 320kbps sample.....Richard Fortus Solo

Ps. Axl's vocals were outstanding.. IMO :thumbsup:

KetchupnotMayo, EstrangedFx, Voodoochild-

Well I agree that Scraped has been shitty live; I was saying that if he could pull it off it might be better-suited than Better in terms of keeping the rock show going. But being that you're right it hasnt been pulled off live, it's probably better to keep that one away.

SOD is great studio wise but live I'm not so sure. Vocally he doesnt pull it off. Musically you need an orchestra and right venue to do it justice. Lyrically it's awesome I agree. Dont get me wrong - if they were done correctly I've argued they should play a few special gigs with just Chi Dem songs!

Better sounds more dated and ripped off than any Chi Dem song, imo. Sounds like a Marilyn Manson/Korn song with a good Axl scream and "na na na" plus a blistering BH solo. 'Accessibility' and 'being liked' is not the sole purpose of making/performing a song. There are some great parts of better, I just dont like the way it was mixed together personally and it just isnt Axl to me.

NewGNROldGNR-

Must've been a real treat to meet the guys. They all seem amazing and I can only imagine the camaraderie they share. And yes, it's easier for me to be critical because I dont know the guys, and that isnt always a bad thing. My intentions are certainly not malicious and I dont criticize anything I dont feel I have a strong grasp on. Forums like this are for saying what you want and nobody forces anybody to read anything.

Edited by Eu4ic

axl needs to work on the verses of TWAT

It was pretty much a random song to play, I don't think it was planned. He never sing it, I was right in front of him, and the song sounded great as a whole. Of course it will get better with time.

I'm SO HAPPY I screamed for TWAT when it was all quiet, and Axl stood right in front of me! Gosh, they did it. Just got back from Dublin now, will write more about the show later. Really need some sleep...!

Seriously still buzzing after that gig... Was madness!!!

Also missed the mic after Paradise by an arms length!!! Gutted

You must've been near me because I wasn't that far away from the mic either.

Incredible gig. One of the best I've ever been to. Axl was on top form. Voice was a bit shaky during TWAT (which he mentioned after the song "Well that was interesting... I sucked but you guys were great!") but Bumblefoot NAILED that outro.