Dublin concert

jackrory

new solo of Fortus ! kickass !

he should be more involved in writing new songs. For the first time since the end of the middle part of Better I hear an irregular rhythm pattern, which I enjoy being a fan of Dream Theater's music. Go Fortus!

Fortus did not write anything on CD

but played rhytm on all tracks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he should be more involved in writing new songs. For the first time since the end of the middle part of Better I hear an irregular rhythm pattern, which I enjoy being a fan of Dream Theater's music. Go Fortus!

but played rhytm on all tracks.

Actually he only played on 5 tracks.

I remember him saying in an interview a while back that he will be more prominent in the next release, having participated in the song writing.

hence my comment

lol my mistake, am quite slow today :)

Edited by Jyrgen

Hard to put a finger on it, but axl sound seemed better on the pre Chinese stuff last night. It's like all the layers drown him in the mix quite a lot on some songs.Before you start saying I'm trolling or bitching I love the chinese album. Twat didnt sound great vocally when there,but from what i read on here it came across great on the youtube vids.must have a listen when i get home.Not sure if that comes across at other guns concerts?

Edited by no1gooner

Hard to put a finger on it, but axl sound seemed better on the pre Chinese stuff last night. It's like all the layers drown him in the mix quite a lot on some songs.Before you start saying I'm trolling or bitching I love the chinese album. Not sure if that comes across at most guns concerts?

Agreed, CD has so many effects that live drown him out and muddy the waters.

Hard to put a finger on it, but axl sound seemed better on the pre Chinese stuff last night. It's like all the layers drown him in the mix quite a lot on some songs.Before you start saying I'm trolling or bitching I love the chinese album. Not sure if that comes across at most guns concerts?

Agreed, CD has so many effects that live drown him out and muddy the waters.

Yes that's seems to be it.but I guess they keep the songs true to the album.

Absolute belter of a gig, Very very solid and a great setlist with a close to perfect mix of songs old and new - From where I was standing Axl was hard to hear between the crowd and his voice being drowned out in the mix but for the most part his voice seemed superb on TWAT and Civil War especially! I actually couldn't believe I was hearing TWAT and took a few seconds to realise after being fully expecting Madagascar.

The only thing I can fault is the section with TIL, Better, 2 Solos and then SOD all in a row killed the crowd completely not that I don't love the new stuff but for the casual fans I think it was a bit long for them to go without a classic song. Oh and I know Axl wasn't fully fit but a bit more crowd interaction would have been nice!

Roll on the o2 in London to do it all again!!!

Edited by irishguns

Guest RonMexico82

Yeah my brother said Axl was drowned out by the guitars for the whole gig. Others said he was clear so it might be where you were located in the O2 as to how it sounded.

Yeah my brother said Axl was drowned out by the guitars for the whole gig. Others said he was clear so it might be where you were located in the O2 as to how it sounded.

Was he standing near the front row? Usually not the best sound there.

Could have been some issues with the sound mix. I saw a video where the vocals seemed to fade in and out, while in another song the vocals were consistently clear.

Maybe your brother meant there were issues with the vocals throughout the show, not that they were inaudible at all times?

4tus is a monster. Good stuff. If he had just a little more pop and focus - some catchy Joe Perry licks - there'd be no choice but to call him the lead guitarist.

Also, I agree that the Better/solo/solo/SOD spot is a weak point in the set. I think SOD shouldnt be a staple; neither should Better, neither should Sorry. Those are the three weakest songs on Chi Dem, imo, and they're the three which are always played! Shit.

Good job Axl putting TWAT as part of the encore - Chi Dem monsters like TWAT, CITR, IRS, Prostitute could be rotated and maybe put one or two in the encore. Shackler's should be a staple and Scraped and Riad could be rotated or coupled, probably in the main set to keep the momentum going. Take Better/SOD out and put in those and you've got a lean machine. OMG, Silkworms or even Down on the Farm could be nice addition also, probably towards the end. Then again a new fucking song would go great too.

Btw, that Rosie was the best one I've seen in...maybe a couple years. That's a good indicator of Axl's voice. Nice Boys is probably around the corner!

Good job Frank, you're a beast.

Edited by Eu4ic

The day that Scraped replaces Better as a staple would be a very sad day.

I'm sorry but Scraped was absolutely all over the place live the few times I heard it, whereas Axl has been nailing Better every night for years. Better is probably the CD song with the most old school GN'R swagger, so is the band's best bet for winning over fans who still aren't convinced by Chi Dem.

4tus is a monster. Good stuff. Also, I agree that the Better/solo/solo/SOD spot is a weak point in the set. I think SOD shouldnt be a staple; neither should Better. I'd almost tempted to say TIL should be taken out sometimes, but I like it after LALD.

Good job Axl putting TWAT as part of the encore - Chi Dem songs like TWAT, CITR, IRS, Prostitute could be rotated and maybe put one or two in the encore. Shackler's, Scraped, and Riad belong in the main set. Take Better/SOD out and put in those and you've got a killer rather than a snoozer. OMG, Silkworms or even Down on the Farm could be nice addition towards the end also.

Btw, that Rosie was the best one I've seen in...maybe a couple years. That's a good indicator of Axl's voice. Nice Boys is probably around the corner!

Umm. To say "Street Of Dreams" doesn't belong in the setlist is just plain wrong. Vocally,musically,lyrically - it's one of Axl's finest moments,both live and on record. "Shacklers" sounds so freakin great live (with the tweaked chorus/Axl's high notes), it's another essential. I do agree with you about CITR and Prostitute and I.R.S., though. Those babies should be dusted off more often.

Few bits n pieces from later last night.....

As I was staying beside the O2 I decided to head back over after the concert to see if I could catch a glimpse of Axl or the band,maybe get some autographs.

Quite a lot of fans with VIP packages left while I was there.got talking to a few and they said they got to meet all the band except the good man himself.

After a while there were just seven of us left.myself,another Irish fan,a family of 3 from north east england/Slovakia and a couple from Italy.all nice to hang with on a cold may night.during my stay we saw a minibus leave with some band,saw richard on my side,then a blacked out people carrier.i gave up the ghost at bout 4am.although the security guy had told us that axl was traveling in the range rover that was still inside the gates and confirmed that he was still inside.so not sure if any of the fans stayed until he left and if he stopped to sign autographs.guess it was a bit of a long shot anyway!

The security guy told us that as part of the contract this time round,axl was picked up from the airport and taken direct to the O2. We don't know this for sure we only have his word.but it does sound like something they would throw in.