Does Axl care anymore?

Vincent Vega

I just had a thought that goes in hand with my post on page 1. In a way, he cares TOO much. At least about new music and if his fans like it. If he was making music just for himself, like a lot of artists say, he'd just release it and if people dug it, they dug it, if not than that's okay too life goes on and more art will come. Axl cares too much about how people will perceive the new band, he cares too much about tarnishing the bands musical legacy by releasing something sub-par, he may care too much about his original vision to even record with this new band (this is just a thought, remember).

EDIT: If he didn't care with all this music he has he'd just dump it on itunes, make a box-set, release an album or two, you know something like that.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blues back in '02 had a lot more personality. Axl wasnt struggling vocally and his personality was more buoyant. Looked excited. The extra guitar parts and keyboard gave some nice effects. Also, Finck and Buckethead and Brain - nuff said.

He could have turned round and said fuck it I'm going home.

1992 Axl would have done that.

He did that to me in 1992, travelled to Maine Road Manchester to be told the gig was off. Axl had fallen out with Stephanie and he couldn't go on. Rearranged for the following Sunday where he dedicated Patience to us. Turned round to find the riot squad police behind me in case we started a riot! Oh happy days....... not. :D

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

If Axl only cared about the money he'd go for the reunion cause that's where the real money is.

Axl wants to do as little as possible and still be able to live his extravagant lifestyle.

I'm sorry but that's just plain false. He doesnt HAVE to do 3 hour shows, he could do much shorter setlists with solos and he'll still be well within all contractual requirements. He doesn't HAVE to do all the big production for the tour, he could make a lot more money keeping things very basic. He needed effort to crawl back from the 2002 voice, if he didnt care he wouldnt have improved in such a big way since then.

He earns the money people spend on tickets by giving them a truly worthwhile show. If that keeps him comfortable with an extravagant lifestyle, fair enough.

During those three hours, how long is he actually out on stage? I'd be surprised it it was more than one and a half hour. I think it's closer to one hour, to be honest. With all boring solos, him running off stage during every song to take oxygen, etc. I'd guess somewhere between 1-1,5 hour per show.

Edit: Especially when he is in South America and Europe, where the setlists are shorter for some reason. I guess we aren't whiny enough.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Still better than most rockers his age... :rolleyes:

He gets paid better than most rockers his age, too.

Nor does he have to share much of the profit with an opener.

You definitely get a good show when you go see GN'R though, I'm not disputing that.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Axl has always run off stage during a gig, he used to do it in the 90's it's not a new thing.

I know that, but I am just pointing out that he isn't performing for 3 hours during the concerts like some people would make it sound. There are one hour of ass boring solos and a song by Stinson. Then beside that he runs off stage for every single song. I'd say that he's on stage for about one to one and a half hour.

If Axl only cared about the money he'd go for the reunion cause that's where the real money is.

Axl wants to do as little as possible and still be able to live his extravagant lifestyle.

I'm sorry but that's just plain false. He doesnt HAVE to do 3 hour shows, he could do much shorter setlists with solos and he'll still be well within all contractual requirements. He doesn't HAVE to do all the big production for the tour, he could make a lot more money keeping things very basic. He needed effort to crawl back from the 2002 voice, if he didnt care he wouldnt have improved in such a big way since then.

He earns the money people spend on tickets by giving them a truly worthwhile show. If that keeps him comfortable with an extravagant lifestyle, fair enough.

During those three hours, how long is he actually out on stage? I'd be surprised it it was more than one and a half hour. I think it's closer to one hour, to be honest. With all boring solos, him running off stage during every song to take oxygen, etc. I'd guess somewhere between 1-1,5 hour per show.

Edit: Especially when he is in South America and Europe, where the setlists are shorter for some reason. I guess we aren't whiny enough.

Like I said, even if each single solo was 7 minutes long and adding up 6 solos in total, that is only 42 minutes. I'm adding Axl's own pre-NR piano playing here. If you minus that, its 5 solos by other band members and even if each is 7 minutes every night (which they are NOT) that would only be 35 minutes.

The oxygen breaks during the songs do not allow Axl to switch off - he has to stay engaged to come back on to continue the vocal. The only way anybody can claim that these oxygen breaks add up to an hour (which will have to true if, as you suggest Axl is only on stage for 1 hour) is if Gnr songs had very few lines. Thats not true- there are lotsss of lines in Paradise City, Civil War etc.

Its just strange to me that people try to diminish Axl's efforts which are above and beyond the call of duty in many ways.

Axl has always run off stage during a gig, he used to do it in the 90's it's not a new thing.

Back in the 90s he used to run off stage and leave the building too. :laugh:

He was very polite about it though, he usually said "have a good night people" :lol:

I'd say that Axl still cares about putting on amazing live shows, but doesn't care about recording or releasing new music.

I think it is way too early to jump to that conclusion, it hasn't even been 4 years since the last record. He obviously cares more about touring right now, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about making and releasing new music, too. It could very well be next on his priority list.

yea, seriously. the dude just spent a decade recording new music.

But can you prove that?

there were numerous reports of axl working with various people in various studios from the mid 90s up until a few years ago.

there has been public comment from current and past members about the dozens and dozens and dozens of songs that were worked on.

axl has publicly said in recent years he envisions the project as a two album thing now, not three.

tommy has commented on how many finished songs are left from the sessions.

we've heard reports of songs from chinese and the next album being switched out very close to the release of chinese.

do you really need proof that axl just spent a huge chunk of his life in recording mode?

maybe he's enjoying being in playing/traveling mode?

I do think that Axl spent a lot of time in the studio during his ''silent years''. Just wish he would've changed his vocals.