When did you first become a fan of GNR?

When did you first become a fan of GNR?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

January 2001, after seeing GNR at RIR 3 on TV.

I have lots of memories related to the band since then. It's funny to remember the dark ages II, when I was in high school, cause I was usually frustrated at how hard it was to find any news about the band on the internet.

The first time I listened to a "new" GNR song was right before I started college, it was the CITR leak (I got a link in a site called "bestofgnr" and asked to a dude to download it for me) :xmassrudolph:

Then, I remember using the computers at the campus library to watch the 2006-2007 tour shows, cause we didn't have internet in the bedrooms... It's so cool to remember all this stuff :)

Edited by Shooting Star

Once I saw the video for Welcome to the Jungle.

MTV headbangers's ball played it during the night on a Saturday night and I would record the show and watch it the next day.

I saw the band and thought "What the hell" especiallys seeing Axl's hair, but then I heard the song and that was it!

Then MTV got smart and started playing the video during the day and once Sweet Child of Mine's video was done, that was it! It was like GNR all the time. I miss those days because GNR made some awesome videos back then. And MTV actually played rock videos!

They really should change the name of MTV, since it's not a music tv station anymore.

I bought AFD and that was it for me! Best rock album ever and still is today!

'88. WTTJ. Completely rocked my brain like Axl in that chair. I was too young. Man it was awesome.

That freaked me out because it was a scene taken right out of the movie A Clockwork Orange only Axl didn't have those metal things holding open his eyes, but I bet that's where his idea came from!

Thought it was a disturbing video, but so true and it's so sad that today those images can still be seen in the news and on tv, because it seems all that violence hasn't changed in over 25 years or so.

The world is still as fucked up as ever!

• 1 year later...

I became a fan in a full blown fan in 1995, I was aware of who GNR were and knew of the hits, but didn't own an album (I grew up as a fan of Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith etc - avoiding Brit Prop like the plague...). Anyways, I can still recall being at my mates house and him putting on Iron Maiden and Metallica etc, but as soon as I heard WTTJ I was blown away.. went out and got Appetite straight away and that was it. Decided I wanted to play guitar after hearing Estranged and that changed my life aswell. I supported Axl through the lineup changes, the dark period (2002-2006) and right up until ChiDem came out....then it kinda dissapeared. Going Down restored my faith that there is some great music in that vault of his and I just hope we get to hear it one day.

1991. Before that, I only knew PC and Patience. Bought UYI2 for my cousin's birthday, and decided to listen to it first. Heard Civil War and was hooked. I became pretty obsessed with the band, but after 1992 (and a cancelled concert), my interest faded. After that, the only things I heard about GNR were the band falling apart. Then somewhere in the beginning of the millennium seeing pictures of Axl, hearing about Chinese Democracy, and I just felt a bit sad about what had happened to Axl.

Only last summer I rediscovered GNR (on YouTube), after reading Slash had performed at a dancefestival here. (Must admit at first I was a bit shocked to see Axl again, as in my mind he's still the God he was in the early nineties :lol: )

It amazes me there are so many people here who became a fan in 'the dark ages'.

'03 I think. I was about 13. My buddy's brother was driving us around and he was playing Locomotive. I was like "...the fuck is this?" He goes "Guns n' roses". I'm like "THIS is gnr?" And he just said "yeah man, deep cut." My mind was blown. Before that I had only heard the hits from appetite and just assumed they were a one hit wonder band. Little did I know how much actual depth this band had. I was hooked from then on.

I then proceeded to ask "Shit man, are these guys even around anymore?" Only for him to respond "Naw, they broke up a long time ago." :lol:

Thanksgiving Day 1987(late November). My brother gave me the cassette AFD. Was hooked right away. When I heard "Its So Easy", I thought they had 2 lead singers. Didn't know that Axl was singing low and high. As the months went on they got bigger and bigger, and I finally saw them in August 1988 opening for Aeorsmith. Incredible show.

I was in my freshman year of high school and loved instantly what I was hearing. It was so different from all the overproduced glam stuff and synth heavy pop music. It was pure raw rock music with a gritty edge. I've loved since even thru all the various incarnations.

The dark ages for me :(

1995 probably, the shitty part is I'm still waiting for the album that should have dropped in 95' or 96'. People talk about "if CD was released in 2001 it would have been big." That maybe true, but had classic gnr put out the illusions leftovers, this i love, and fall to pieces in 95 or 96, that would have been beyond huge. They would have been the band of the 90's imo.

Edited by Mike420