What religion are you?

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So this is pretty much what I expected. Mostly Atheist/Agnostic/doesn't give a fuck and then some Christians. This seems to mostly be the case across the internet. Youtube, forums, etc. It almost feels like online is a MAJORITY atheist/agnostic.. Now, one might think "well it's just the sites you go on favour your views". Ya, that's certainly part of it but this is a Guns N Roses forum. Classic rock n roll, true blue American band. Axl wears crosses all the time, religious imagery in their videos... I would think the fan base would fall in line with what is the norm of America... seemingly Christian.

How is it I know like 2 people that actually go to church out of everyone I know yet polls still indicate most are Christians? It's confusing. Are people online typically more aware of what goes on the world and exposed to different points of view so they end up going atheist/agnostic? (That's what happened to me). Are Christians just largely not online? I always found this weird. Politicians and polls all indicate everyone is super religious but honestly I don't see it... anywhere. Any video denouncing evolution, speaking of creationism, etc, just gets hit with facts, angry posts, and dislikes on youtube. The majority of people on one of the biggest sites in the world disagrees with what all these polls and politicians spew.

I'm a liberal atheist. Of course if evidence for God presented itself I would believe I don't take atheist as a firm stance but I'm pretty close to there. A tangent here: I'm so glad I live in Canada over America right now. Even though we hate our Prime Minister I don't know what religion he is. It's honestly seemingly not a big deal. I assume he's Christian to try and get some more votes but really most people don't care. Is it like that in America? Well, to totally flip-flop on what I just said I WOULD care about Romney being a Mormon. You have to be ignorant or stupid to live your entire life believing something that is obviously not true after the smallest amount of research. Call me a fucking bigot, I don't care. Say Mormonism instils family values and is a lovely community, I don't care. The fact is it's bullshit and you guys could very well elect a dude who's one step away from being a scientologist. That scares me. He's willing to believe any bullshit based on little to no facts. On the other hand, you have an intelligent man like Obama who I believe is totally putting up a fake political front pretending he's a lot more Christian than he is just for votes.

This will sound bold but in this day and age I think having leaders who believe there's an after-life BETTER than what we have on Earth is a really scary prospect. Atheists, Agnostics, probably most Deists can agree that this Earth.... it's all we fucking got and it's all we'll ever fucking have until we hopefully master space travel a hell of a lot better than we have. Thinking this life or world ultimately doesn't matter because heaven awaits is a really fucked up idea to me. If you believe any of the main religions, it's REALLY easy to think this way! "90 years tops on this Earth VS eternity in paradise.... hmmm...". Not only that, but mostly just a lack of caring for natural resources. I think if the majority were atheists and had been throughout history the Earth and the Sun would to this day be the most highly celebrated things instead of Jesus, Muhammad, God, and all these other fairy tales. Our holidays should be based on the solstices, the eclipses, the start of seasons, everything should be focused on the Earth and therefore we would care a lot more when we dump shit in the oceans, bulldoze forests, pave grasslands, etc etc etc.

/rant

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

This will sound bold but in this day and age I think having leaders who believe there's an after-life BETTER than what we have on Earth is a really scary prospect. Atheists, Agnostics, probably most Deists can agree that this Earth.... it's all we fucking got and it's all we'll ever fucking have until we hopefully master space travel a hell of a lot better than we have. Thinking this life or world ultimately doesn't matter because heaven awaits is a really fucked up idea to me. If you believe any of the main religions, it's REALLY easy to think this way! "90 years tops on this Earth VS eternity in paradise.... hmmm...". Not only that, but mostly just a lack of caring for natural resources. I think if the majority were atheists and had been throughout history the Earth and the Sun would to this day be the most highly celebrated things instead of Jesus, Muhammad, God, and all these other fairy tales. Our holidays should be based on the solstices, the eclipses, the start of seasons, everything should be focused on the Earth and therefore we would care a lot more when we dump shit in the oceans, bulldoze forests, pave grasslands, etc etc etc.

I won't say anything on your opinions, but I would just point out that a lot, if not most, of major religious holidays are celestially related, at least in the Western religions. I don't know how it is in the Eastern ones.

Examples off the top of my head: Easter is the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox, which is directly related to Passover (just erase the "first Sunday" part).

Christmas: 4 days after the Winter Solstice

The Hebrew calendar is a lunisolar calendar and thus Jewish holidays are determined by celestial events.

Ramadan is determined by the moon.

Just looked up Hindu holidays, and the first one listed was Pongal, a major harvest festival (pretty connected to the Earth, no?) and all holidays are determined by lunar cycles.

I think you get the point.

Roman Catholic

I am amazed by the number of Catholics here.

Does it piss anyone when someone says "I am not Catholic, I'm Christian" and vice versa? Catholics are Christian. Not all Christians are Catholic though.

Yeah, I live in the southern U.S. so this is heard a lot. Apparently, baptists don't recognize catholics as christians. So factually, catholics are christians, the southern baptists won't recognize them as such. Though that could just be my area. Plus non-baptists make that mistake too. I don't get it though, if you were to trace it back, Catholics were the first christian denomination (aside from the jews in first century CE).

I won't say anything on your opinions, but I would just point out that a lot, if not most, of major religious holidays are celestially related, at least in the Western religions. I don't know how it is in the Eastern ones.

Examples off the top of my head: Easter is the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox, which is directly related to Passover (just erase the "first Sunday" part).

Christmas: 4 days after the Winter Solstice

The Hebrew calendar is a lunisolar calendar and thus Jewish holidays are determined by celestial events.

Ramadan is determined by the moon.

Just looked up Hindu holidays, and the first one listed was Pongal, a major harvest festival (pretty connected to the Earth, no?) and all holidays are determined by lunar cycles.

I think you get the point.

I knew some of these. For example I heard the date for Christmas was picked simply to over-lap (replace) the pagan holiday celebrating the Winter solstice. The date of the holidays may be determined by lunar cycles and the like (didn't know that about Ramadan and the Hindu holidays) but what are they celebrating? Is Ramadan to celebrate the moon or is it just determined by it? Quite a difference! Same with Christmas' connection to the Winter Solstice. The point of the holiday itself should be to celebrate these Earthly occurrences we observe. That's what I mean. Society, especially in the cities, is so disconnected from the planet and I think religion is just one more thing that gets in the way. Hell, the Catholics used to destroy, forcibly convert, and kill pagans who worshipped the Earth. I can't even talk much more about this here because I hate Christianity and will obviously offend. Really though, Canada is pretty irreligious anyway we'll get to the point the Scandinavian countries are at eventually and be all the better for it. America has a weird vibe about thinking change is communist or evil so unfortunately I see you guys staying behind for longer in that regard. Keep denying science, keep dividing people along religious lines, keep using systems that don't make any sense (imperial units for example), keep having "moral" debates the rest of the world settled years ago, etc. I'm going off topic as I always do but I think this century America's attitude of always looking inward and never outward to other countries and what they're doing is going to catch up with you.

Roman Catholic

I am amazed by the number of Catholics here.

Does it piss anyone when someone says "I am not Catholic, I'm Christian" and vice versa? Catholics are Christian. Not all Christians are Catholic though.

Yeah, I live in the southern U.S. so this is heard a lot. Apparently, baptists don't recognize catholics as christians. So factually, catholics are christians, the southern baptists won't recognize them as such. Though that could just be my area. Plus non-baptists make that mistake too. I don't get it though, if you were to trace it back, Catholics were the first christian denomination (aside from the jews in first century CE).

Converted Jews actually. Syrians, Romans and Egyptians too. It is certainly among the oldest of denominations. Along with hundreds of Eastern denomination. Baptists have been growing in numbers around Connecticut as well as other congregations and they see Catholics no different than Jews or Muslims.

It is still the largest Christian sect in the world, so fuck them.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Cat lick.

I wonder if the agnostics would've had a different outlook (even as an adult) had you grown up in a deeply religious country?

Probably. I bet millions of muslims in the middle east, had they been born in Canada, wouldn't care at all about Islam. Religion is largely determined by geography which is pretty stupid because say Islam is correct that's kind of bullshit of God to make you be born in Alabama.

Exactly. When it's rammed down your throat by the people around you and present in every aspect of your life it's very hard to break away.

People seem to have a lot of interesting experiences with religion being "shoved down their throat (That's your cue, Dazey!!!)." I live in the supposed Bible Belt and that hasn't been my experience at all.

That's how it was for me. I honestly had no choice in the matter. Every aspect of my life was religious - from school to how I behaved.

I believe in God and all that BUT I do think some of the stuff is wrong. I also think 'Catholic guilt' as Dazey calls it, can be applied to me!

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel