Chinese Democracy

wasted

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I doubt that even Axl consider CD better than AFD (and probably than the UYIs as well). Has he ever said something about that?

Comparing GNR albums is like choosing between children for me!

That being said I find myself more into the ballads and complex songs where I get more from them each time I listen.

So I sway towards UYI and CD. I find i listen to CD more than any.

I really think it takes a very long time to appreciate how good CD is. Most people unfortunately are not able to understand how good it is or dont care to take the time. When I break it down to friends they can appreciate how good it is but I actually have to play it in intervals and explain first of all what hes saying in the lyrics and THEN I have to interpret for them what he's talking about and how the music flows with the mood of what he is talking about etc.

THE SHIT IS DEEP!!!! But too complex for it to be mainstream and popular. I've accepted that! I always wonder if Axl feels the same way! I'm sure he realizes its just too damn good for most to get!......dont think he cares....

The perfect combination of AFD and UYI with a whole new sound. Normally bands evolve, forgetting the past the express the band in a completely new way. GNR couldn't do that so they changed a few members for each record. On UYI they brought in Sorum and Dizzy. On CD they got virtually a whole new band. Problem solved. This allowed them to make the ultimate 90s classic rock album.

It's not even better than Apocolyptic Love - so how can it be better than AFD or UYI?

The perfect combination of AFD and UYI with a whole new sound. Normally bands evolve, forgetting the past the express the band in a completely new way. GNR couldn't do that so they changed a few members for each record. On UYI they brought in Sorum and Dizzy. On CD they got virtually a whole new band. Problem solved. This allowed them to make the ultimate 90s classic rock album.

If you think Chinese is the best GnR album of all time, who am I stay your opinion is wrong? I think it is a good album but no where near AFD or UYI but thats my opinion. Not sure I agree with the " virtually a whole new band. Problem solved"

Subjectively I might prefer UYI II or Lies but in terms of quality of the songs all the way through, plus great rockers and epics, and it's a focused record.

It's a very strong set of songs.

It's not even better than Apocolyptic Love - so how can it be better than AFD or UYI?

Apoc love isn't a GNR album. False premise

Look, I doubt that even Axl consider CD better than AFD (and probably than the UYIs as well). Has he ever said something about that?

Axl has said he felt UYI was unfinished and song weren't worked on as a band. Izzy was AWOL, the drums weren't so good. Everyone knows how good AFD was but the scope isn't as broad as CD or UYI.

Comparing GNR albums is like choosing between children for me!

That being said I find myself more into the ballads and complex songs where I get more from them each time I listen.

So I sway towards UYI and CD. I find i listen to CD more than any.

I really think it takes a very long time to appreciate how good CD is. Most people unfortunately are not able to understand how good it is or dont care to take the time. When I break it down to friends they can appreciate how good it is but I actually have to play it in intervals and explain first of all what hes saying in the lyrics and THEN I have to interpret for them what he's talking about and how the music flows with the mood of what he is talking about etc.

THE SHIT IS DEEP!!!! But too complex for it to be mainstream and popular. I've accepted that! I always wonder if Axl feels the same way! I'm sure he realizes its just too damn good for most to get!......dont think he cares....

It's a bit like Achtung Baby in that two worlds collided musically and that takes a while to get into.

Achtung was Madchester dance meets Berlin industrial via U2.

CD is grunge meets nu metal via GNR.

Whether u like it is subjective.

But I think for Guns to make another record they had to re-express GNR. Not drop down into Aerosmith bar band.

chinese democracy should have been called UYI III

I think maybe CD is what Axl wanted UYI to be more like.

chinese is beatiful,but appetite is the best album ever.

I'd say combining the best songs off the Illusions tops it, but I agree here. Chinese suits my personal tastes more, but Appetite is the superior album.

I think long term some of the immaturity of the lyrics of AFD will harm it, less people will relate to it in retrospect. Whereas UYI has songs that will be classics. Plus second side of AFD is a bit weak other than SCOM and RQ.

I think long term some of the immaturity of the lyrics of AFD will harm it, less people will relate to it in retrospect. Whereas UYI has songs that will be classics. Plus second side of AFD is a bit weak other than SCOM and RQ.

long term? it's been 25 years since AFD was released and it still resonates today - and UYI already has songs that are classics, along with AFD

as for Democracy, that has nothing that comes close to anything off of AFD and UYI that will stand the test of time like SCOM, WTTJ, PC, etc, etc etc

I can't see how SOD, IFW, Sorry, Catcher, TWAT, Prostitute, TIL can be boring. So much going on in those songs.

Better and Madagascar too.

Then uve got a couple of high energy rockers on each side to open with.

Edited by wasted

a self-titled double album with a plain red cover. no artwork.

that's it. red with a blac gnr.

It would be referred to as The Red album.

exactly.

I, and im sure you too, wanna see axl rtake risks. I mean lets go man people just wanna hear your voice!!

Use Your Illusion (as a collective) is to me the best GnR album and probably always will be. GnR hit some amazing heights on that album, songs with amazing writing/instrumentation/structure but great soul too. November Rain, Coma, Locomotive and Estranged are about as good as it gets to me.

However I do feel CD is a tremendous album. It's almost like a loose concept record, with the theme of breaking free from oppression (whether real or imagined, on an individual level or a collective level) recurring throughout. It's a very emotional album. It has some tremendous vocals, and tremendous musicianship. It's very different than previous GnR albums in that it's not driven by guitar riffs or piano compositions as much as it's driven by melody. It is one of the most unique/distinct albums I've ever heard; while no one song may be particularly unique or boundary pushing, collectively there's no album quite like CD out there. Every song is not perfect but as a whole, it's a great album to me. I listened to the leaks a lot and I listened to the album a ton for about a year after it came out. Don't listen to it as often anymore but when I do, I remember why I thought it was great. Songs like Better, The Blues, There Was A Time and Prostitute are some of my favorite songs from the GnR catalogue