The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

Watched From Russia with Love today. Still my favorite Connery film. I feel what made this film was Pedro Armendariz. He was a very likable character and his death scene (and his real life death) was quite tragic. There has been a lot of changes from Dr. No to From Russia with Love.

For one, FRLWF has a considerably bigger budget so they could afford to do more locations and most importantly, editing.No just talking about how they edited the beginning to fool the audiences to thinking Bond was killed and not bother to introduce him 16 minutes into the film. It just went smoothly. The best example was the train carriage fight, the sound editing was the best they could do at the time. It was like a Hitchcock film.

I've never liked Tatiana, she's hot but that is all she is. Great figure but we already got that with Ursula Andress in Dr. No, why repeat it? Maybe I am just nitpicking. Neither Bond girl holds a candle to Pussy Galore who was a trained pilot who Bond slept with to get her to betray Goldfinger or Domino (Thunderball) who inspite of getting tied up she ultimately gets her revenge. Don't fuck with French girls I guess.

The opening credits was awesome, the belly dancer. The title song at the end was meh, they didn't set the standards yet. The gypsy girl fight is probably the sexiest scene in the whole series.

I would have liked it if the series started with From Russia with Love than Dr. No. Watch Dr. No until Connery's first scene then shut it off and put on From Russia with Love.

I like how mention Hitchcock. I've always felt like if there was a Bond film that could have been a Hitchcock film, it's From Russia With Love. It helps that it's the most down to earth Bond film and that it's a real cold war spy thriller. I could see Hitchcock's style fitting this kind of Bond film really well.

Tatiana is okay. Not one of my favorites though. I do love how over the top they make it though, especially on the tape to M:

"Will you make love to me all the time and England?"

"Day and night... now about the decoder."

:lol:

Fun fact: On that tape Bond starts a story "Well, this one time with M in Tokyo..." which would mean he's been to Tokyo. A couple films later he tells Tiger in YOLT that he's never been to Japan before.

I feel like I'm the only one here who actually appreciates TWINE for what it is. Obviously it's not one of the best films in the series, but (imo) it is easily Brosnan's 2nd best Bond. The casting of Denise Richards is stupid, but the relationship between Bond and Sophie Marceau's character (Elektra?) was great and the storyline involving stockholm syndrome was pretty good as well.

I feel like I'm the only one here who actually appreciates TWINE for what it is. Obviously it's not one of the best films in the series, but (imo) it is easily Brosnan's 2nd best Bond. The casting of Denise Richards is stupid, but the relationship between Bond and Sophie Marceau's character (Elektra?) was great and the storyline involving stockholm syndrome was pretty good as well.

You're not alone. TWINE is my favorite of Pierce's even if GoldenEye is the better overall film. Aside from some questionable acting (Bond's confrontation with Elektra comes to mind), I like the whole dynamic between her and Bond. Richards isn't as bad as most people say, but she's still pretty bad. The flow of the film is awkward most of the time but the action scenes manage to be fun and exciting and with the drama at least they tried. Decent effort overall! I wish they did more with Renard and the "not feeling pain" angle but you can't have it all I guess.

Just finished watching Skyfall on Blu-ray finally. It's one of those movies that keeps getting better every time I watch it. The transfer is phenomenal - sound and picture were both superb.

I also watched the Shooting Bond documentary which I was happy was an hour long and not just the usual 10 minute featurette that seems to be the standard for most films nowadays.

I like how mention Hitchcock. I've always felt like if there was a Bond film that could have been a Hitchcock film, it's From Russia With Love. It helps that it's the most down to earth Bond film and that it's a real cold war spy thriller. I could see Hitchcock's style fitting this kind of Bond film really well.

Tatiana is okay. Not one of my favorites though. I do love how over the top they make it though, especially on the tape to M:

"Will you make love to me all the time and England?"

"Day and night... now about the decoder."

:lol:

Fun fact: On that tape Bond starts a story "Well, this one time with M in Tokyo..." which would mean he's been to Tokyo. A couple films later he tells Tiger in YOLT that he's never been to Japan before.

I was really hoping he'd finish that story.

If they replaced Connery with Cary Grant we'd have a great Hitcock film without Hitchcock directing. I wondered if they were thinking of Hitchcock when making it?

Just finished watching Skyfall on Blu-ray finally. It's one of those movies that keeps getting better every time I watch it. The transfer is phenomenal - sound and picture were both superb.

I also watched the Shooting Bond documentary which I was happy was an hour long and not just the usual 10 minute featurette that seems to be the standard for most films nowadays.

That was actually a really good documentary. I was really surprised. The commentary by Mendes is suppose to be amazing.

It's sad that Roger Deakins has no chance of winning the oscar this year because of that Life of Pi. At least Life in Pi like all the films nominated for cinematography was shot using 35mm film. I am glad Hollywood filmmakers still try to embrace film. Digital looks fake.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

The only win I'm expecting for Skyfall is best original song. Anything else will be the icing on the cake.

IMO it's only slightly better than Die Another Day. It has another good opening sequence, and then drops right off.

We'll even cast Paul Rudd as Bond. There's the next risk for the franchise to take!

That was actually a really good documentary. I was really surprised. The commentary by Mendes is suppose to be amazing.

I might watch it with the Mendes commentary tomorrow. I hear nothing but good things about it.

It's sad that Roger Deakins has no chance of winning the oscar this year because of that Life of Pi. At least Life in Pi like all the films nominated for cinematography was shot using 35mm film. I am glad Hollywood filmmakers still try to embrace film. Digital looks fake.

Skyfall was shot digitally. You might want to take that back. ;)

I was skeptical early into production when it was announced that it was being shot digitally. I just didn't think it was quite up to par with the traditional way. Naturally, the cinematography in the finished film blew me away so I imagine this may very well become the standard from now on. The end of an era, as you said.

Today I watched Goldfinger. Often said to be the best James Bond movie ever made.

Well it certainly is one of the best. A step for the character in the superhero direction even though a many times in this thread, all he did was bang two chicks, played golf and get himself captured (along with a girl klled). Sure he's made several attempts to get away. Even cleverly put a tracking device in a mob bosses pocket with a note wrapped around it for the CIA to find but Goldfinger was one step ahead of him. He really is one of the series better villains and he looks physically imposing. and always one step ahead of Bond. What rescued Bond was sleeping with Pussy which somehow convinced her to turn on Goldfinger. I guess all the money in the world can't beat good sex.

The film, along with Thunderball becomes a blue print for the series. It can be argued whether or not that was a good thing but one thing is for sure, it helped the series last this long.

I'm watching all the Bonds in order. I had to turn off On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Its vibe was just too jarring for me. I'll watch it eventually... when I'm really intoxicated or something.

I can't wait to watch "Never Say Never Again." I'm fascinated by it after reading all the behind-the-scenes stories revolving around that film, and of course it will be interesting to see Connery reprise his role as an older Bond. I watched Moonraker last night, so I'm almost there.

The scene below is one of the funniest movie moments ever (for me personally). I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, and all because of one line of dialogue: "I SURE AM BOY!"

Edited by brainsaber