The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

I think if a director is insisting on using film, it'll still be around, no matter what studios want. I think for something effects driven, action flicks, some sci fi movies, digital film makes sense. I also think engineers will be able to get it to the point where no one will be able to tell the difference between whether it was on film or on a hard drive. Documentaries and digital film are a given.

I agree. I don't think film will totally phase out but it's gotten to a point where I think a lot more cinematographers will be willing to give digital a chance since you can get some impressive results now.

Also, that slide whistle sound effect is awful. What a way to ruin potentially the greatest stunt in a Bond film.

Roger Deakins was definitely creative with the lighting. The blue in the skyscraper was a brilliant choice, as was the lobby where Patrice shoots the guards. The establishing shots of Shanghai and Macau were also amazing. Deakins definitely knew what he was doing.

On a similar topic - the CGI in Skyfall was pretty impressive too. The MI6 explosion looked great, the dragons looked really good, and even Silva's face was done decently. Nothing that was distracting like the awful CGI in Die Another Day. I like how Mendes was intent on limiting the use of it, whereas Tamahori stated in an interview that he though CGI was the future of film.

I have seen nearly every one of Deakins films, he is by far my favorite living DOP. He is a genius. Too bad he will lose again.

CGI is only good when you don't notice them. Tamahori probably watched Star Wars before saying that. Maybe that is why he is doing prostitution instead of filmmaking?

Quantum of Solace had its fair share of CGI. If you ever wonder why it cost so much, that is why.

Quantum used its fair share but again, it wasn't distracting. GoldenEye was the first Bond film I believe to use digital effects. The fight on the dish at the end was green screened. It's not so bad when you've got the actual actors or its just used to piece bits together, but in Die Another Day's infamous surfing scene there's literally shots where it's a CGI Bond. In other words, you're looking at an entirely animated shot.

Also, that slide whistle sound effect is awful. What a way to ruin potentially the greatest stunt in a Bond film.

I agree. The uploader put this in the video description: One of the greatest car stunts captured on film ruined by a horrible sound effect.

And another uploader of the same scene removed the sound effect altogether, along with the Evil Knievel comment taken out too.

What about the weird stop machine look with the rocket car hanging off an iceberg?

Paintful to think DAD could have been Brosnan's best film. Just needed less CGI, a different Bond girl, better script and director. I don't know who's worse, Denise Richards or Halle Berry. I'd say Berry because they try too hard with her. Richards they expect her to play a physicist. Someone argued with me that she looked too young but she was in her 30's so she was the right age to pull it off, but it wasn't that she was playing a nuclear physicist, its just that she is there to bring in Americans.

We should make a poll on best stunt.

Try saying "I'm sure am boy!" in Skyfall.

Tomorrow will be a double feature. Thunderball/You Only Live Twice. LETS DO IT!!!

When you get to the Brosnan films, do a marathon. It'll be the most traumatic experience of your life, but at least you'll get them over with in one day ;)

What about the weird stop machine look with the rocket car hanging off an iceberg?

Paintful to think DAD could have been Brosnan's best film. Just needed less CGI, a different Bond girl, better script and director. I don't know who's worse, Denise Richards or Halle Berry. I'd say Berry because they try too hard with her. Richards they expect her to play a physicist. Someone argued with me that she looked too young but she was in her 30's so she was the right age to pull it off, but it wasn't that she was playing a nuclear physicist, its just that she is there to bring in Americans.

We should make a poll on best stunt.

Yes. I nominate the ski jump in TSWLM

Come on, one excellent film (Goldeneye), two average films (TND, TWISNE) and one crapfest (DAD) isn't the worst record for a Bond actor. And even those two medicore Bond films are not as bad as Diamonds Are Forever, Quantum of Solace and A View to a Kill. Brosnan was pretty good. The reason he is getting so much negativity now is because everyone is getting carried away with Craig hysteria. Skyfall is a great film but I still would take Goldeneye over Skyfall anyday, and QOS is pure excrement.

Goldeneye was pretty good but it turned Bond into that indestructible action star of the 90's. Fires one or two machine guns without running out of bullets, dives out of explosions, unstoppable.

Will have to watch it to see which is better. QoS is probably the most Brosnan like of the Craig films. Lots of action, ridiculous stunts, bullets and explosions. The two action scenes that stood out for me was the opening car chase and the opera shootout. The rest of the time I felt (like the Brosnan films) they were copying Hong Kong/John Woo action films.

We'd almost need a Bond section of the forum to do the polls. :lol: I don't want to clutter the top of the post with too many.

I also vote the ski jump. It helps that they managed to capture it amazingly.

I think the polls would be:

-Best Bond

-Bond Girl

-Bond Villain

-Chase Scene

-Quotable Bond

-Coolest Car

-Coolest Gadget

-Best Theme Song

-Best Storyline

-Worst Storyline

-Best Explosion

I think Daniel Craig is good for 2 more movies, and I think with that long delay, hopefully they're not going to do a rush job on these next 2. In about 2020, we'll probably be speculating who the next Bond will be, even though I think he could knock out 4 more before being too long in the tooth to play James. I think they want to hold on to him as long as possible.

I do wish they found a way to cast all living James Bonds in a movie together, even if it wasn't a Bond flick.

Didn't Connery, Moore and Lazenby were set to do a film together? or did I just pull that out of my ass?

Watching Thunderball right now, I am enjoying it more than usual. Connery looks like he is having a great time, the villain is great portrayed by a great Sicilian character actor. I think Rik Van Nutter is one of my favorite Felix's, no idea why they made him so old in Goldfinger. Also the lucky bastard was married to Anita Ekberg. Claudine and Luciana are the hottest Bond girls ever. No wonder Connery had a great time.

I had no idea Miss Taro from Dr. No was suppose to be Chinese. I found her stunning with her hair, makeup and robe. I guess it makes sense but she didn't pass for Chinese. She was hot though.

Didn't Connery, Moore and Lazenby were set to do a film together? or did I just pull that out of my ass?

Watching Thunderball right now, I am enjoying it more than usual. Connery looks like he is having a great time, the villain is great portrayed by a great Sicilian character actor. I think Rik Van Nutter is one of my favorite Felix's, no idea why they made him so old in Goldfinger. Also the lucky bastard was married to Anita Ekberg. Claudine and Luciana are the hottest Bond girls ever. No wonder Connery had a great time.

I had no idea Miss Taro from Dr. No was suppose to be Chinese. I found her stunning with her hair, makeup and robe. I guess it makes sense but she didn't pass for Chinese. She was hot though.

That's exactly how I felt about Thunderball when I just did my Bondathon. I've always considered it a good film, but when watching it in context, it was really top notch!

My picks for dalsh's categories:

-Best Bond - Daniel Craig

-Bond Girl - Tracy Bond

-Bond Villain - Raoul Silva

-Chase Scene - Ski chase in OHMSS

-Quotable Bond - Sean Connery

-Coolest Car - Aston Martin DB5

-Coolest Gadget - Magnetic watch in LALD

-Best Theme Song - You Know My Name

-Best Storyline - Skyfall

-Worst Storyline - Die Another Day

-Best Explosion - Skyfall, or the opening of Octopussy

Finished Thunderball. What a movie! Basically all you can ask for in a Bond film. Well except the nice cars, you get the DB5 but it is only in the pre-title scenes but this film is filled with suspense, hot chicks and a bad bad villain. Even the drama is served well, especially the scene when Domino finds out her brother is dead. Even Connery looked like he was going to lose it, hence the sunglasses. The end shot with Bond pulling a Dark Knight with the balloon and plane was pretty cool. Bet that wow'd audiences. Though it must have been terrifying for Domino what she has no support for her wet body than Bond's arms!

Off to watch where it all went wrong. You Only Live Twice.