GNR 1996: tons of songs

pe_teko

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's refreshing to see all these threads popping up about how much material Axl has created through these years, hopefully it will remind people why people are getting so angry for new music not being released more.

on a side not this makes me think, during this lost GNR period for Axl that was 1994-Forward but was also in that odd period where Slash was still briefly sort of still in the band up until he officially left, were there any important sightings of Axl publicly during these couple years in the mid 90s where Slash was still called a member? Cuz I remember Slash doing lots of interviews and what not like from 94-96 in regard to GNR stuff whether it be bad or good, but it must have been weird being Axl was never scene.

Axl and Slash sat down for their last interview together on January 3rd 1994. The interview was a radio interview.

Axl inducted Elton John into the Hall of Fame on January 20th 1994. Aired on TV back then.

Axl wasn't seen again (or at least photographed) at any public events until he was arrested in February 1998.

However, he was spotted at numerous concerts between '95 and '97, most notably at The Red Hot Chili Peppers' show at the LA Forum in April 1996. Duff went with him to this show, and there's a photo of Axl backstage signing autographs. There's a few other photos from 1995 of Axl with fans.

Edited by Vincent Vega

It's refreshing to see all these threads popping up about how much material Axl has created through these years, hopefully it will remind people why people are getting so angry for new music not being released more.

on a side not this makes me think, during this lost GNR period for Axl that was 1994-Forward but was also in that odd period where Slash was still briefly sort of still in the band up until he officially left, were there any important sightings of Axl publicly during these couple years in the mid 90s where Slash was still called a member? Cuz I remember Slash doing lots of interviews and what not like from 94-96 in regard to GNR stuff whether it be bad or good, but it must have been weird being Axl was never scene.

Axl and Slash sat down for their last interview together on January 3rd 1994. The interview was a radio interview.

Axl inducted Elton John into the Hall of Fame on January 20th 1994. Aired on TV back then.

Axl wasn't seen again (or at least photographed) at any public events until he was arrested in February 1998.

However, he was spotted at numerous concerts between '95 and '97, most notably at The Red Hot Chili Peppers' show at the LA Forum in April 1996. Duff went with him to this show, and there's a photo of Axl backstage signing autographs. There's a few other photos from 1995 of Axl with fans.

What year is that from?

I had never seen this before:

Slash confirming they had about 80 unreleased new studio songs in 1996.

Do you think we'd ever got to hear that stuff?

Very interesting because it was 1996, (Slash was about to leave) and he talks about these "tons of songs" in a very natural way, without remarking any issue with "Axl's new music directions".

Now that's another clue that "new music directions" weren't a problem that led Slash to leave (as briefly mentioned in his book).

Even though its from 94 i think, I love the tune you hear in the making of estranged, its just Slash with Axl whistling and humming a melody - beautiful stuff. I think the tune ended up the first snake pit album and it sucked imo, similar melody, terrible production and shite lyrics. Shame what happened with this band. When you think about it that small snippet is the last GNR recording, I'm surprised people don't 'go more nuts' over this. Anyway id love to hear the unreleased stuff from this time.

That's a good question.

Maybe that's the only way we could get to hear those songs: in new GNR versions.

So sad this people couldn't release that material back in 96'

Can you imagine listening to 80 GNR songs written by Slash, Axl and Duff after UYI tours?

That's my dream

it's not my dream. but. i bet robin and bucket recorded hundreds of songs before anyone knew who DJ and ronald was

They also have thousands of hours of unreleased video footage from the Classic line up. I bet Axl sits on that to the grave. I bet Adler, Duff, Slash, Izzy would release it tomorrow if they could get Axl's agreement, which won't get as Axl would claim that would affect the current bands chances.

Edited by vaida

According to Marc Canter, most of those songs--about 50 or so--came from Izzy. Izzy rejoined the band in the studio and the UYI lineup was literally all together in the same room working in '96 for several weeks and Izzy either brought with him or crafted around 50 songs in that period. The rest were mostly Axl's material, with Slash providing some blues based rockers. They had recorded at least 7 songs by mid 1996.

Axl didn't have anything except Prostitute and TIL. Alice Cooper (through Bob Ezrin telling him) and Matt Sorum said Axl barely had one song together in 4 years. Slash, Duff, and Izzy had a lot of songs, and Axl rejected Izzy and Slash's songs at the time instead of just going forward and recording them. It was just a pissing contest that Slash and Axl were in, any way you look at it. Odds are Izzy wound up using those songs for himself or just put them on the shelf for another time.

Look at it this way, Stephen King writes a lot of books, but he doesn't publish everything he rights as soon as he's done with it. Some things sit in a file.

"We have been doing mostly Axl's material." (Slash chat, 10/16/96)

"The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"[slash] also enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves [before the actual recording sessions]. "It's amazing stuff," he says." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"Even if we don't sell any copy of the next album, I will be very proud of what we did. But I don't worry about it, I know that what we are doing right now is great. [...] We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laughs). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others. [...] It will be a single album with 10 or 12 songs." (Matt, 1996)

"Axl is rhythym guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years." (Matt, 1996)

"Guns N' Roses is back working together again, according to bassist Duff McKagan. [...] "We've been in for two weeks as a full band with Slash and Axl (Rose) and me ([...] Dizzy Reed is also back [...]), and we go from midnight to five in the morning," McKagan said from L.A." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"It's fun and the energy is there," [Duff] said only hours before joining Axl Rose, Slash, Matt Sorum and rhythm guitarist Paul Huge at a GN'R rehearsal and writing session." (Duff, Metal Edge, 11/96)

"There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with three original "B" sides." (Axl, MTV fax, 10/30/96)

"The record will be all up-tempo rock songs ("No ballads," McKagan said firmly) and it will be just 12 songs, with a release planned for next spring." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"It's gonna be an angry record, but that's what we were built on." (Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"This is not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite. It's in the middle. Maybe more groovy. Musically, we are all better. I never heard Duff play like that." (Matt, 1996)

What a shame.

Axl says there will be an album in 1996. And he also promised an album in I think 2006.

People in the band confirming completed songs in 1996. People in the band confirming completed songs in 2001. Beta saying they had dozens of completed songs.

Yet......one album of original material released by Axl since 1991.

Although a few of you think that shows Axl's musical integrity, and that Axl puts out music at the same rate as normal bands........the real loser here are the fans. Can you imagine how amazing it would be to have GnR albums in 96, 01, 06, 11.....with 12 B-sides thrown in. It would be amazing to have 60 more songs on your ipod with Axl singing.

Edited by Groghan

They also have thousands of hours of unreleased video footage from the Classic line up. I bet Axl sits on that to the grave. I bet Adler, Duff, Slash, Izzy would release it tomorrow if they could get Axl's agreement, which won't get as Axl would claim that would affect the current bands chances.

This is the footage for the, what was then planned, documentary, right?

I almost want this more than the songs.

If what some have said is true - that during this period (UYI tours) Axl was in full-on Diva mode, and having all those lavish "theme" parties after shows that were eating through tour profits - parties which no one else in the band really wanted (so they say) - then I imagine this would be a big reason Axl doesn't want the footage to be released. It would just solidify the image of him that many people have. An image that, for most of the time Old Guns were together, is probably not that accurate.

Would be so interesting to see though.

i bet robin and bucket recorded hundreds of songs before anyone knew who DJ and ronald was

This has nothing to do with the current topic. Plus, why do you insist on calling Ron "Ronald"? Trying to sound demeaning perhaps?

I think if Old Guns had released one last album in 1995 or 1996 and one last no BS tour around then, then hung disintegrated and New Guns started, I'd be totally content. But having TSI be the end of Old Guns was very anticlimactic. If they had released one last original album in the mid '90s, I wouldn't have wanted more. Given the quality of Slash's Snakepit, Gilby's material, with Izzy contributing some and Duff's material, it probably would've been the best GN'R album combining the best elements of Appetite and the UYIs. It would've closed a ten year career, given Guns some closure, and then I'd be totally content with New GN'R existing.

I think if Old Guns had released one last album in 1995 or 1996 and one last no BS tour around then, then hung disintegrated and New Guns started, I'd be totally content. But having TSI be the end of Old Guns was very anticlimactic. If they had released one last original album in the mid '90s, I wouldn't have wanted more. Given the quality of Slash's Snakepit, Gilby's material, with Izzy contributing some and Duff's material, it probably would've been the best GN'R album combining the best elements of Appetite and the UYIs. It would've closed a ten year career, given Guns some closure, and then I'd be totally content with New GN'R existing.

My thoughts exactly TSI left bad sound in my ears one last original album would have been their best by miles combine best from AFD, UYIs, Snakepit, Pawnshop Guitars, Beautiful Desease, Believe In me plus Izzy`s contribution it would have been fucking amazing

Edited by Son of a Guns

Great post.

i really wish the illusion lineup,possibly with izzy back in the fold would have had an albm or 2 more. everything seemed like it was going in the right direction. i think paul huge/robias probably caused alot of tension. maybe slash held on to stuff from the tour and this was the last straw.

i dont think paul is any kind of guns n roses savior.

Axl contracts ended GNR.

Izzy and Slash have explained they were offered contracts to sign as hired musicians which were not acceptable.

Slash has only recently started recently saying that he left GNR because he was asked to sign a contract, so it may be just more revisionism and fantasy from him.

Or rather that is one of many reasons, not solely the only thing so it is more highlighting a certain circumstance rather than "revisionism"

Axl contracts ended GNR.

Izzy and Slash have explained they were offered contracts to sign as hired musicians which were not acceptable.

Slash has only recently started recently saying that he left GNR because he was asked to sign a contract, so it may be just more revisionism and fantasy from him.

Or rather that is one of many reasons, not solely the only thing so it is more highlighting a certain circumstance rather than "revisionism"

When you start a band with 4 other people and work so hard for years to make it the biggest band in the world it's not that understandable to be offered contracts as hired musicians.

All of them left the band at some point because of Axl's dictatorship. Duff, izzy and slash, at least. The other one was fired.

Axl contracts ended GNR.

When you start a band with 4 other people and work so hard for years to make it the biggest band in the world it's not that understandable to be offered contracts as hired musicians.

All of them left the band at some point because of Axl's dictatorship. Duff, izzy and slash, at least. The other one was fired.

But at the same time I don't know if I would place all the blame on Axl. Sure Axl fucked a lot of stuff up but Slash and Duff especially were drug addicts and probably hard to deal with in the 90's as well. Not that any of us know the absolute truth as to everything that happened (and won't because each person has a different perspectvie) but I would say the end of that band was a combination of all the personalities involved

Axl contracts ended GNR.

But at the same time I don't know if I would place all the blame on Axl. Sure Axl fucked a lot of stuff up but Slash and Duff especially were drug addicts and probably hard to deal with in the 90's as well. Not that any of us know the absolute truth as to everything that happened (and won't because each person has a different perspectvie) but I would say the end of that band was a combination of all the personalities involved

You are probably right. Dealing with drug addicts and trying to work things out must be very difficult.

Thinking about this band being a fan makes you feel both gratitude and sadness. When you see The Rolling Stones still on the road these days or at least The Beatles who released 12 albums in less than 10 years it's unbelievable man!!

But I see we have AFD, Lies, UYI and TSI. Then Duff and Izzy albums, snakepit, Velvet Revolver and Slash. Neurotic outsiders or Loaded. Chinese democracy. Some people would say Adler's thing. You cannot blame this people.

We can dream about that 1996 album, maybe we got to hear it someday, or CD2.

I'm really through Izzy's stuff these days and all I can say is THIS IS SO GOOD!