Bridge School Benefit Show and Webcast Oct. 20, 2012

gmsugaree

Ridiculous the way people are overreacting, again. Seriously, some people make it seem like he sounded worse than the 02 VMAs or something. Really, he didn't sound bad. There were fuck-ups (er, what the fuck happened in Jungle? Some fuck-ups in Better too I think), but vocally, given the circumstances, I thought he did fine :shrugs:

First night of the tour, obviously he's not hit his stride (as is the case with every tour he's ever done), but he sounded decent enough on Patience, SCOM, the 2nd half of Jungle, and Paradise. He sounded like he was holding back, not using any real power because it was an acoustic show, but it was awkward and made him sound like an old man at points, trying to use rasp without power.

Ridiculous the way people are overreacting, again. Seriously, some people make it seem like he sounded worse than the 02 VMAs or something. Really, he didn't sound bad. There were fuck-ups (er, what the fuck happened in Jungle? Some fuck-ups in Better too I think), but vocally, given the circumstances, I thought he did fine :shrugs:

First night of the tour, obviously he's not hit his stride (as is the case with every tour he's ever done), but he sounded decent enough on Patience, SCOM, the 2nd half of Jungle, and Paradise. He sounded like he was holding back, not using any real power because it was an acoustic show, but it was awkward and made him sound like an old man at points, trying to use rasp without power.

did you even listen to paradise city? shocking.

Edited by Axl_morris

hahahaa... 02 VMA's were Axl's top performance when comparing to last night

Seriously? Some of you guys are ridiculous. It was cool to see the band do a small set and have fun. Honestly, shit here get's blown so far out of proportion it's not even funny. And I knew before the show even started that people here afterwards would be calling it terrible or even the worst show ever - fuck off. It wasn't a bad show, certainly not worse than Rio like some people think. People who are here today to do nothing but talk shit about the show are the people who have ruined the forum.

It wasn't "great", it just wasn't nearly as bad as some people say.

Yes it was, it really was that bad. anybody could have gone out there and sang the songs better than Axl did. That's like the singing voice I use when I'm making fun of 80's pop songs and this guy is supposed to be a professional musician, fucking embarrassing

It wasn't "great", it just wasn't nearly as bad as some people say.

not just some people... most of people think it was atrocious

Most people on here think he sounds like shit all the time :lol:

If that's your excuse to think Axl did a decent job... :shrugs:

It's not ;) He sounded pretty much like I thought he would though. It's the start of the tour, and it was acoustic. He sounded "old man-ish" at times but it was an awkward thing, like he could've used a good amount of rasp but just didn't put the power behind it (due to it being an acoustic show). The reaction of people here is pretty much what I expected too

Maybe I enjoyed it because I didn't expect 1991 or even 2010 Axl to show up :shrugs:

so this is what it's come to, his own fans no longer expect the best from their idol

I saw Roger Waters earlier this year, this is a man who already had the bulk of his career behind him by the time GNR were breaking through, and he sang The Wall note for note flawlessly with power and passion, gave one of the best performances I've ever seen and exceeded my expectations by far. I know Axl's singing style is much more challenging, but to think we as fans can't even expect him to sound good on stage is just plain sad. There is some effort required in performing arts, last night Axl gave none and it really hurts to see somebody you consider your favorite singer look on par with drunken losers doing karaoke at the local mexican restaurant

I hope he bounces back but it's hard to get behind that, how long can we sit here and make excuses for the guy?

Maybe I enjoyed it because I didn't expect 1991 or even 2010 Axl to show up :shrugs:

so this is what it's come to, his own fans no longer expect the best from their idol

I saw Roger Waters earlier this year, this is a man who already had the bulk of his career behind him by the time GNR were breaking through, and he sang The Wall note for note flawlessly with power and passion, gave one of the best performances I've ever seen and exceeded my expectations by far. I know Axl's singing style is much more challenging, but to think we as fans can't even expect him to sound good on stage is just plain sad. There is some effort required in performing arts, last night Axl gave none and it really hurts to see somebody you consider your favorite singer look on par with drunken losers doing karaoke at the local mexican restaurant

I hope he bounces back but it's hard to get behind that, how long can we sit here and make excuses for the guy?

Bruce Dickinson and Steven Tyler spring directly to mind. Even in their old age they're still kicking ass vocal-wise.

Really? Or are my expectations simply realistic? It was the first show, acoustic, and just supposed to be a fun little gig - I wasn't expecting him to come roaring out screeching like a madman for an acoustic benefit show :shrugs:

For me, the only disappointment of the show was Better being played instead of Catcher or This I Love

Really? Or are my expectations simply realistic? It was the first show, acoustic, and just supposed to be a fun little gig - I wasn't expecting him to come roaring out screeching like a madman for an acoustic benefit show :shrugs:

For me, the only disappointment of the show was Better being played instead of Catcher or This I Love

It's not that he wasn't going full force that's disappointing, it's that he literally sounded like he wasn't trying at all, even to make his voice work with the acoustic sound, we talk about how versatile Axl's voice is, how many different tones he uses throughout the GNR catalogue, and he came out sounding like some guy trying to impersonate the Bee Gees

No use in complaining about it, but god damn I don't see how anybody could accept that on any level, even if it's "just an acoustic show for some kids" he's still supposed to be a professional singer, and that was a very unprofessional performance. If this is what he sounds like and he absolutely can't help it anymore I think it's time to retire