Bridge School Benefit Show and Webcast Oct. 20, 2012

gmsugaree

I know this topic comes just from my personal anger, but...

Is it possible to sing any worse than Axl did last night????

I have never ever heard any professional singer to sing this bad... never

Seriously?? He sang Patience, Sweet Child O'Mine and You're Crazy decently, so yeah, it could be worse. People are overreacting as usual.

He Is saving his voice or maybe he was just holding back or Its quite possible that that bronchitis from two years ago Is still affecting him or maybe he went onstage to early and couldnt give 100%, there has to be a reason and the members of this forum will get to the bottom of It.

Seriously?? He sang Patience, Sweet Child O'Mine and You're Crazy decently, so yeah, it could be worse. People are overreacting as usual.

I'm sorry, but if SCOM and You're Crazy were decent, you must have some very low standards...

Hey, maybe by American standards he isn't fat but he definitely has a good ole' beergut and is overweight. And you know what? What shape you're in really affects your singing! No kidding! So Axl, please, for the sake of your fellow bandmates who seem to be prepared for the gigs, little less Bud and more treadmill every other day? Too much to ask?

a thought the weight affects singing but as wasnt to sure so wasnt going to say incase i got eaten alive :rofl-lol:

a still think he is over weight not by alot but he is.

Other than women wanting to lust after him, there's no reason to give a crap about Axl's weight. It does NOT affect singing, can't believe people use it as an excuse to attack Axl. Lots of very good singers are/were overweight.

7557_06pavarotti-600.jpg

nancy-wilson-and-ann-wilson-2009-ascap-pop-0g7snl.jpg

meatloaf-paradise-ellenfoley1978l.jpg

I'm sorry, but if SCOM and You're Crazy were decent, you must have some very low standards...

Uhm, I am sure you realize it could still have been worse. So much drama...

yes i t could be quite a bit worse. You're crazy and patience were decent enough for the first night of a tour.

The problem is I can't... I'm musician myself and I'm not enywhere near the level of GNR... but I never ever have performed SO bad like GNR did last night

The problem is I can't... I'm musician myself and I'm not enywhere near the level of GNR... but I never ever have performed SO bad like GNR did last night

That's a bit unfair on the band, I think they were excellent. Axl was weaker than I've ever heard him, it was quite sad to watch in a way... you think if he's not able to turn this around then GNR's days could be numbered. At least he was in tune the vast majority of the time even when he was struggling significantly.

Wow. Do you want me to send you a file with me singing a helluva lot worse than Axl did? It's a rhetorical question, btw, I couldn't be bothered.

I think this forever ends the debate over why Guns N' Roses often starts shows late. You can clearly see Axl straining to even make a sound during Jungle. Then during Patience, his voice comes roaring back and then suddenly falls back into the "Mickey Mouse" falsetto. He clearly needs a ton of warm-up time to find that raspy voice now. That's worth going on late for.

I sincerely hope they never do another opening gig, and from now on always wait until Axl is in a place where this won't happen to him.

Or Axl could start his pre-show vocal warmup earlier. Obviously he has figured out how to be ready consistently between 10:30 PM and midnight, there's no reason he can't start whatever he normally does an hour or two earlier to be ready that much earlier. But he won't because he's a procrastinator, always was and always will be. :shrugs:

Review: Bridge School Benefit short on thrills

San Jose Mercury News - ‎2 hours ago

For better or worse, the 2012 benefit -- which, on Saturday, stretched from 4 p.m. until after midnight -- will likely always be remembered as the Guns N' Roses Bridge.

The notoriously unpredictable hard-rock band seemed to be topic No. 1 among fans in the weeks leading up to the event.

Talk centered around lead singer Axl Rose -- in regard to what he might do or say, or even if he'd show up for the concert.

As it turned out, Rose was pretty much on his best behavior and even took the stage (nearly) on time. Sure, he did use some colorful language and played one questionable track, "Used to Love Her," which contains the chorus, "I used to love her, but I had to kill her." Overall, however, it was a rather mild-mannered outing for him.

Well, at least we were told it was him. We'll have to take that on faith, since it was really hard for fans to confirm the actual identity of the singer in the big hat, dark sunglasses and strange facial hair. At times, it sounded like some hoarse amateur, from a Guns N' Roses cover band, was leading the charge.

Oh, well, at least we got to hear some acoustic versions of once-great songs -- "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Paradise City" -- all of which probably made the roughly 18,000 audience members long for the band to plug in.

It was a truly mediocre outing for the rockers, yet it came across as absolutely masterful in comparison to the Flaming Lips set.

Talk about a major reality check. The indie-rock band, which arguably ranks as the most overrated act in music history, is accustomed to preaching before the already converted. Lead singer Wayne Coyne could burp and his fans would likely dub it as genius.

The Bridge crowd wasn't having any of that. Listeners first seemed bemused and befuddled, then downright bored, by the band's cheeky, cutesy tunes.

Coyne kept pleading with the disinterested crowd to show more energy and make some noise. And his request somewhat worked -- there were times when the applause actually drowned out the crickets.

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_21822761/review-bridge-school-benefit-short-thrills‎

It was a truly mediocre outing for the rockers, yet it came across as absolutely masterful in comparison to the Flaming Lips set.

Talk about a major reality check. The indie-rock band, which arguably ranks as the most overrated act in music history, is accustomed to preaching before the already converted. Lead singer Wayne Coyne could burp and his fans would likely dub it as genius.

The Bridge crowd wasn't having any of that. Listeners first seemed bemused and befuddled, then downright bored, by the band's cheeky, cutesy tunes.

Coyne kept pleading with the disinterested crowd to show more energy and make some noise. And his request somewhat worked -- there were times when the applause actually drowned out the crickets.

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_21822761/review-bridge-school-benefit-short-thrills‎

:lol:wow!

VOD is up already. At least I'm watching it now.

I recorded the concert and I'm uploading it to youtube now.

Particularly given that this was a charity show, if VOD is available, then we won't allow links to be posted on here until the video on demand stuff is offline.

Making no apologies here for trying to force people to pay for a bad performance, it's for a good cause.

reminder bump

:lol:wow!

Hah, yes, I really wished I'd gotten up earlier so I had caught that performance.

I remember how I used to hope for pro-shots in '06-10. Now I pray they never happen. That 'Better' performance was excruciatingly, unfathomably horridly poor.

It's a pretty good song though. Rather enjoyed being covered by others.

Same for me :D