Maybe we could all cut Axl some slack on here?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you brought Rio into the discussion, I was talking about São Paulo, where he had a confirmed serious step throat and sounded just fine.

Yeah, and I'm still talking about Rio. You're points about it being a "shitty" livestream and it being the first show don't matter. The same "cases" go for the Bridge School show but they don't matter, because it's no mystery that Axl clearly sounded bad at both.

Actually, you brought Rio into the discussion, I was talking about São Paulo, where he had a confirmed serious step throat and sounded just fine.

Yeah, and I'm still talking about Rio. You're points about it being a "shitty" livestream and it being the first show don't matter. The same "cases" go for the Bridge School show but they don't matter, because it's no mystery that Axl clearly sounded bad at both.

Look, I'm sure that almost everyone who go to the concert enjoys it, no matter what. Especially if the hype is big, like Rio. Let me sum it up.

São Paulo 2010: They had been touring for 3 months. Axl had a serious cofirmed step throat. He sounded decent.

Rio 2011: First concert in months. Axl sounded shit, that's all.

Bridge School: First concert in months. Axl "had" a suspicious step throat. He sounded pathetic. PATHETIC.

The problem is not any possible step throat. He proved before he can sing well with that. The problem is his lack of practice and commitment. He seems to have given up, like he doesn't give a shit. And that makes me really sad, because he is my favorite artist. I love the guy, and I wish he could be happy with Guns N' Roses.

Despite everything that happened, I had so much fun at Rio.

Edited by ManetsBR

Does the fact that this was an acoustic benefit show to support disabled and needy children escape the haters? If you expected a crazy powerful GNR type performance, you obviously are missing the point of the whole show as kids were in the front row and to the side of the stage. Some bands from what I have seen didn't even play their hits and the backlash is absurd.

The one thing I will at least tolerate as a somewhat valid argument is he probably didn't rehearse. Most likely due to the illness which caused some issues on songs, but we don't have proof he rehearses with the band period. Jungle to my knowledge has never been performed truly without an electric and probably should never be. It wasn't meant to be played that way and fucked with Axl due to the tempo change

Its not the end of the world or the band and we have several reasons to be excited with the Vegas shows coming and rumors of a new CD.

And before it comes from the cupcakes...these arent excuses, they all are valid opinions

Strep makes you forget lyrics?

It is also contagious....hopefully nobody catches it from Axl.

Damn the bad luck. Always sick during opening shows of tours. Sickness you never hear about until after a poor performance, of course.

All you haters need to shut up and leave the forum. Axl was sick and still did a great job. Greatest singer of all time, who is always near perfect. I can't understand why so many people bash him. They must all be haters.

I think criticism where it's due is ok, I get the fact that people are dubious about whether he has strep throat or not due to the past. What I don't get is why you would go to someone's forum and bash them senseless with such silly remarks. :bitchfight:

He stuffed up the lyrics to Jungle but guess what guys? He is human - we all stuff up in our everyday life but luckily we don't have an audience & web watching us when we do. I didn't see that as such a terrible thing, he's not a robot programmed to be perfect.

As for being fat/old etc - weight comes with middle age no matter how much you exercise. Don't compare him to others his age as everyone's metabolism is different & he's certainly not old. Maybe shedding the heavy layers & face covering would show just how good he does look.

I have to think some people just wait for him to make mistakes or give bad performances so they can come on here and rejoice, give him a break. dry.gif

Well that isn't me.

I would flat out LOVE for the story today to have been "Axl kicked ass last night. Highlight of the show was Axl and GnR."

But like all of the recent high profile shows, what was the story?

Axl blows crowd away.....or what a mess Axl is.

Was he sick? Sure. Just like he was sick in Rio. Always an excuse. The MTV show wasn't his fault. Never his fault.

Forgetting lyrics to songs he wrote and has performed thousands of times...in your book that is no big deal? Seriously?

I don't care about the weight or looks of any performer. But a singer shouldn't be out of breath and gasping during song ONE.

Rock4eva......praising your favorite singer even when he screws up doesn't make u a bigger or better fan. It is OK to be honest rather than just blindly defending him no matter what.

This 1 performance will quickly be forgotton when they kick ass in Vegas, ever since the bands formation each incarnation have had off days and bad shows. At least with this current band, even if Axl has a bad night, we all know the band are always going to be on the ball 100%, because they are professionals and when you have the musicians like GN'R has, you can afford to have "off" days as the singer.

But in saying that, what I worry about for the future is simply more years and years of inactivity and short comings creativity wise. GN'R cannot afford to go through a period like 2003-2005 again, where everything is clouded in mystery and no one knows whats going on. If that did happen again for whatever reason, I think it would be a disaster. I believe that Axl has accepted that Guns are not going to take over the world again, after events of recent years... and this might be the reason why he has lost the fire to move the band forward in the same way he did back in 2002-2006.

Releasing the next album should be easier, because there's less pressure for it to live up to expectations, as we all know that the music industry has changed in terms of sales. But Axl is once again making it hard for himself... If Chinese Democracy is the double album we keep on hearing about, then I would of wanted it to have been released within 2-4 years of the 1st. leaving it longer than that is OBVIOUSLY counter-productive as people are going to forget all of the excitement and concept that Chinese has done well to build up.

I sometimes feel as if Axl is his own worst enemy. :rolleyes:

A few things...

If Axl had strep, then why did he choose the harder version of "You're Crazy" to sing? Why not keep it in the lower register where he had better control of his voice and it's far less taxing on the vocal chords.

If Axl had strep, why sing more taxing and less acoustically suitable songs like Better and Welcome to the Jungle. Why not Mr. Brownstone (you could make the argument that it's drug-friendly references weren't appropriate, but they're already singing about killing a girl/dog in Use to Love Her and I doubt many kids would have gotten the drug reference anyway) that is, again, far easier to sing?

If Axl had strep, why was his performance very similar (if only slightly worse) to the one given at RIRIV, Chicago '12, and London '12 (ie. all the shows that were streamed and had pro-shot releases)?

If Axl had strep, why did he sound far worse last night than when he suffered strep in 2010?

I think it's admirable that they would support and perform for a worthy cause, but to suggest this excuses any criticism of the performance itself is a big stretch. It was a great gesture on Axl's part, but it doesn't render his performance as exemplary. Like I said, it's great that they would show some support, but while you're at it, why not actually rehearse properly and give people a decent show rather than what we saw last night?

At the end of the day, this really doesn't affect my life. I hope the kids at the show at least enjoyed it (though you'd think they would have sanitized some of the lyrics considering the audience).

What I'm most thankful for is that no one actually paid to see this...

What I'm most thankful for is that no one made money off of this performance.

What I'm most thankful for is that any money raised went to a noble cause, and not to a band (err, lead singer) that clearly wasn't on their game.

Edited by downzy

Yeah, I'll buy that he wasn't feeling well. These things do always seem to happen to Axl whenever he's on the big stage so I get the skepticism. He definitely went Full Mickey in this one. Hope he's feeling better tonight.

you never go full mickey........ lol

this was awful, hoping for him to redeem himself with something kick ass to follow up. hopefully this isn't the beginning of the end.

Strep makes you forget lyrics?

It is also contagious....hopefully nobody catches it from Axl.

Damn the bad luck. Always sick during opening shows of tours. Sickness you never hear about until after a poor performance, of course.

All you haters need to shut up and leave the forum. Axl was sick and still did a great job. Greatest singer of all time, who is always near perfect. I can't understand why so many people bash him. They must all be haters.

I think criticism where it's due is ok, I get the fact that people are dubious about whether he has strep throat or not due to the past. What I don't get is why you would go to someone's forum and bash them senseless with such silly remarks. :bitchfight:

He stuffed up the lyrics to Jungle but guess what guys? He is human - we all stuff up in our everyday life but luckily we don't have an audience & web watching us when we do. I didn't see that as such a terrible thing, he's not a robot programmed to be perfect.

As for being fat/old etc - weight comes with middle age no matter how much you exercise. Don't compare him to others his age as everyone's metabolism is different & he's certainly not old. Maybe shedding the heavy layers & face covering would show just how good he does look.

I have to think some people just wait for him to make mistakes or give bad performances so they can come on here and rejoice, give him a break. dry.gif

Well that isn't me.

I would flat out LOVE for the story today to have been "Axl kicked ass last night. Highlight of the show was Axl and GnR."

But like all of the recent high profile shows, what was the story?

Axl blows crowd away.....or what a mess Axl is.

Was he sick? Sure. Just like he was sick in Rio. Always an excuse. The MTV show wasn't his fault. Never his fault.

Forgetting lyrics to songs he wrote and has performed thousands of times...in your book that is no big deal? Seriously?

I don't care about the weight or looks of any performer. But a singer shouldn't be out of breath and gasping during song ONE.

Rock4eva......praising your favorite singer even when he screws up doesn't make u a bigger or better fan. It is OK to be honest rather than just blindly defending him no matter what.

Groghan, I don't want to be a bigger or better fan & I didn't praise him from what I could see. I know he did a terrible job which is obvious when watching the performance back. He also didn't "forget" the lyrics to Jungle but instead lost his place & sang the wrong words - not earth shattering. Lots of singers do it.

Not saying it's not his fault either, musical attacks yes for his bad performance but personal attacks & telling him to give up - NO.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

We aren't cutting slack because every performance like that drives the GnR name even further through the mud than it already is. At least in 2010 you could say, "Yea, Axl may be a dick, and yea, the rest of the original guys are gone, but listen to that fucker sing." Now...either get 2010 vocal coach or whatever the fuck he did, or just fucking retire.

Agreed.

Although I don't think the vocal coach is the problem. I think he just doesn't care any more.

But yeah, you're right, Randy, if he really did have those problems, we should cut him some slack. The problem is that he has seemed uninspired and had a weak voice for over a year now. Occasionally you can hear that he still can sing better, I think he just doesn't bother any more. I think he has given up on his vision and doesn't feel inspired to do his best any more. That's the problem I have with it. All of us have had to accept the fact that his new band sucks and that he comes late and is a general asshole, but it's unacceptable that he's touring without trying, in my opinion.

As much as I'd like to excuse his sound because of strep throat, fact is he sounded like he did throughout '11-'12. Strep throat normally makes a voice raspier. Plus he fucked up the songs. I think the problem may be that he's on fucking drugs and is lost as a person. If he is, dammit dont play. We love ya Uncle Ax. I criticize the shows a lot because I love GNR, but Axl has carried a heavier burden than anybody in...music history perhaps, so maybe he should just stop.

So you're saying you don't believe the official statement that he has strep throat but are now making an official statement on this forum that maybe he is on drugs? :rofl-lol: Really? dry.gif

I dont necessarily disbelieve "the almighty official statement" (as if those carry a lot of weight around here). I just mean what I said: His voice sounds basically like it did in '11 so the strep throat effects dont seem to be distinguishable from, well, Axl's voice. As for drugs: Axl's seen a lot serving up drinks. He's probably on cough meds if he does have strep. Other than that I think he might be on an antidepressant (to control mood swings, but which also has the side effect of making a person kinda flat, "losing their spark"), and/or a benzodiazepine (like valium, xanax, which could have the kinda out there, no anxiety, forgetfulness, eat a lot effect) . Just my personal opinion.

Guest RonMexico82

Exactly. Cutting Axl slack was the biggest mistake anyone ever made, going right back to the old days. Duff should have bitch slapped him around the place a long ago. Do you think Keith Richards would ever have tolerated Axl's behaviour if he was in the same band as him. Odds are Keith would have murdered him.

Exactly. Cutting Axl slack was the biggest mistake anyone ever made, going right back to the old days. Duff should have bitch slapped him around the place a long ago. Do you think Keith Richards would ever have tolerated Axl's behaviour if he was in the same band as him. Odds are Keith would have murdered him.

Keith would n`t have tolerated Axl but as we know Duff & Co were spineless wussies and pussyfooted around him Duff bitch slapping Axl ? don`t make me laugh please he could n`t collect his shit back then

Edited by Son of a Guns

Unless your lives are so sad it really makes you feel good to point out when others stumble in life. But how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot? And Axl was there everytime you were shot down by a woman, failed in the bedroom, or your Dad called you a loser to point and laugh, or even worse, post anonymously from behind a keyboard?

Get on with your lives people. There's an interesting world out there, that doesn't involve analyzing every setlist and every second of vocals.

I'm going to go to Vegas. When I've seen Axl live in 2012, with no "strep throat", with no live stream, with a month's worth of shows under his belt... then I'll judge.

For now, despite everything, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with the throat thing. I believe it. He didn't forget the lyrics to Jungle, he got confused and started singing Used To Love Her after the first line of the song. For all we know, the guy could have been nervous; assuming he was sick, this was acoustic and streamed live on the Internet. If you messed up a line in those circumstances, you'd probably fumble through the next few lines too.

I'm still hoping for good things to come for this band. There have been more moments over the past 3-5 years than in the past decade where it really felt like Axl was about to get his shit together. I really hope that his voice improves (even if it's not quite 2010), and I really hope they manage to write some material in Vegas... as a whole band.

I don't know how much longer I can keep holding on to that, but in a month's time I feel like we'll all know whether things are on the downhill from here or whether there's still something worth following. I can take Axl's voice being a worse live, provided there's some solid studio material coming from these guys to back it up. Let's see what he has to say on Kimmel... :popcorn:

"Hi guys, it's great to be able to perform here for such a good cause. Now for a bit of bad news, I've come down with a strep throat, so please bare with my voice. Let's do this! 1.. 2.. 3.." *song starts

That's how you handle it gracefully, not with damage control.