Metallica St Anger - What do you think of it?

Towelie

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rob wipes floor with Jason as a bassist it`s not even close but like Bacardi said Jason`s backing vocals rocked

Granted he's the better bassplayer, but as a total package I'd definitely pick Jason over Robert. I don't like how Rob hops around like a monkey on stage either.

yeah i agree i would take jason anyday, i still like rob but jasons backing vocals,bass playing and on stage presence are the total package IMO and was a great replacement for cliff.

as for st anger it should be used as a coaster nothing more really it is fucking garbage still cannot beleive it went to #1 :no:

Rob wipes floor with Jason as a bassist it`s not even close but like Bacardi said Jason`s backing vocals rocked

Granted he's the better bassplayer, but as a total package I'd definitely pick Jason over Robert. I don't like how Rob hops around like a monkey on stage either.

yeah i agree i would take jason anyday, i still like rob but jasons backing vocals,bass playing and on stage presence are the total package IMO and was a great replacement for cliff.

as for st anger it should be used as a coaster nothing more really it is fucking garbage still cannot beleive it went to #1 :no:

Jaosn had better stage presence and his backing vocals added lot but as a bassist Rob owns him there`s some intense bass playing in Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves

Some Kind of Monster is the only song I like from it. Part of the reason is that every time I hear the main riff I see the video in my head where James is trying to teach it to Kirk and he just can't get it. :lol:

Haha yes!

Never been a big fan. I understand what they did with the production and the drumming etc was intentional, and I admire what they were trying to do (to a point)... but the sum of all that was a pretty shit album.

outside of 2 songs it is garbage, but that is 2 more good songs on it than what is on death magnetic

+1

on St. Anger they at least tried something new/different that they hadn't done before (even if it's mostly really bad IMO) but on DM they just gave up trying at all.

Edited by Desperado

But Metallica tries something new with every record. Every record is a different sound, with the exception of Reload after Load. St. Anger was no different. But the songs had poor editing and were way too long, the lyrics were awful, and the production left a lot to the imagination. I think Metallica wanted a rough sound to the album, and that's obvious, but there's no excuse for songs that just go on and on and on with the same crap. When they edited Some Kind Of Monster for the SKOM EP, it was light years better because it was shorter and had much more of an impact as a song.

St. Anger was a poorly done garage record. Metallica has done new things with many previous records with better results: AJFA, Metallica, Load/Reload. They were all newer sounds for Metallica for their time. St. Anger is the same, but with a shitty result.

All that said, the acoustic version of All Within My Hands that was performed at the Bridge School Benefit concert is awesome.

But Metallica tries something new with every record. Every record is a different sound, with the exception of Reload after Load. St. Anger was no different. But the songs had poor editing and were way too long, the lyrics were awful, and the production left a lot to the imagination. I think Metallica wanted a rough sound to the album, and that's obvious, but there's no excuse for songs that just go on and on and on with the same crap. When they edited Some Kind Of Monster for the SKOM EP, it was light years better because it was shorter and had much more of an impact as a song.

St. Anger was a poorly done garage record. Metallica has done new things with many previous records with better results: AJFA, Metallica, Load/Reload. They were all newer sounds for Metallica for their time. St. Anger is the same, but with a shitty result.

All that said, the acoustic version of All Within My Hands that was performed at the Bridge School Benefit concert is awesome.

So what new things did Metallica try with Death Magnetic?

outside of 2 songs it is garbage, but that is 2 more good songs on it than what is on death magnetic

+1

on St. Anger they at least tried something new/different that they hadn't done before (even if it's mostly really bad IMO) but on DM they just gave up trying at all.

i agee. at least with st anger there was aggression in metallicas music again, it had a real raw feeling to it, it was just piss poorly executed and the songs were just not finished IMO they sounded rushed and unfinished, it is a horrible album

death magnetic was just awful it sounded like they were just trying to appease the old school thrash era metallica fans, but they did half assed with no heart or effort whatsoever. if metallica wants to go on making music they should just forget us thrash fans, alot of thrash bands have passed metallica in terms of quality/

it was like on death magnetic they had some black album material lying around, slapped some half assed thrash elements onto it claimed to have "gone back to their roots" and called it a day.

if metallica does actually want to get back to their roots and see how older thrash bands can reinvent themselves and stay fresh they should listen to the new kreator and testament albums

+1

i agee. at least with st anger there was aggression in metallicas music again, it had a real raw feeling to it, it was just piss poorly executed and the songs were just not finished IMO they sounded rushed and unfinished, it is a horrible album

death magnetic was just awful it sounded like they were just trying to appease the old school thrash era metallica fans, but they did half assed with no heart or effort whatsoever. if metallica wants to go on making music they should just forget us thrash fans, alot of thrash bands have passed metallica in terms of quality/

it was like on death magnetic they had some black album material lying around, slapped some half assed thrash elements onto it claimed to have "gone back to their roots" and called it a day.

if metallica does actually want to get back to their roots and see how older thrash bands can reinvent themselves and stay fresh they should listen to the new kreator and testament albums

I don't listen to those 2 bands you've mentioned there at the end, but I agree with everything before that. Shame, this band made 4 masterpieces imo. (kinda, Cliff and Jason were there at the time)

Edited by Rovim

I used to be a huge Metallica fan and still think St. Anger is absolutely terrible. A lot of their songs sounded like the "nu metal" and alternative metal that was coming out at the time. Stuff like KoRn, Stained, etc. It had no production value whatsoever. I don't know what Bob Rock was thinking at the time, however that doesn't mean St. Anger had all bad songs. I do like Invisible Kid, Frantic and St. Anger along with Some Kind Of Monster.