The Definitive MyGnR AC/DC Thread

Cosmo

inspired by the fact AC/DC has FINALLY released it's full discography in digital format, and since right about 7 out of every 10 rock fans out there like at least one dacca song, here is the definitive MyGnR AC/DC thread.

We're talking about the biggest hard rock band in history: Over 200 millions albums sold, having the second most sold album off all time, right behind Thriller by MJ, owners of some of rock's biggest anthems and having inspired countless bands after them, including our beloved GnR. AC/DC is rock stripped down to it's essence: Nothing fancy, no "phases", no ballads, nothing, just pure blues-based rock talking about what Angus, Malcolm, Bon and Brian love most: Girls, booze and Rock N' Roll.

AC/DC is one of my 5 favorite bands that constantly change places within themselves along with KISS, GnR, Motörhead and Wolfmother. Probably the live concert I wish to see the most as I've unfortunately have never seen them live. But I'm glad they decided to go digital once and for all. It took me quite a while to find all their physical albums and it wasn't cheap: here in Brazil some albums cost up to $35 dollars so I'm glad people will finally get the chance to really dive into their discography for a reasonable price and without the headache I went through to find them.

Here's a few fun facts about my love for AC/DC:

- I prefer Brian Johnson over Bon. By a little but yes. He took AC/DC to the mass, he had HUGE shoes to fill and he did it like I've never seen someone do it before. He's probably the most popular substitute to a rock icon ever, maybe along with Ronnie James Dio.

- My favorite AC/DC album has got to be Back In Black, as it's probably the biggest hard rock album of all time but right after BiB, it'd be Blow Up Your Video. Some hidden gems in there. Not only Heatseeker, That's The Way I Wanna Rock and Roll and Mean Streak rule, but Two's Up, Nick Of Time and Some Sin For Nuthin' are wayyy to underrated.

- My least favorite AC/DC album is probably Stiff Upper Lip. The title track and Satellite Blues are probably the only songs I like in there.

- My favorite Bon album is Let There Be Rock although Powerage and Highway To Hell are constantly fighting for that position.

533732-acdcs-angus-young-1991-6325320-jpg.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the greats, yes. I used to have Ballbreaker on cd. That is a surprisingly 'great', post-Back in Black, DC record. I do not think anyone bought it but there was some good stuff on there.

Yes. Title track is one of the meanest riffs in history. One of my favorite AC/DC songs. Hail Caesar, The Furor and Hard as a Rock are also great.

I've always been partial to Burnin' Alive from Ballbreaker. Great structure and a solid solo from Angus. I'm just not a huge fan of Brian's vocal on that track (this was that awkward period for his voice where he didn't quite sound like Razor's Edge Brian anymore but hadn't settled into a new approach to singing some of the higher stuff).

Favorite album is probably Highway to Hell. Touch Too Much, Shot Down in Flames, Walk All Over You, the title track, If You Want Blood, Beatin' Around The Bush - all top tracks.

As far as hidden gems, some of those B-sides that finally saw an official release on Backtracks are great. Borrowed Time, Down on the Borderline, Cyberspace... all great songs. Cyberspace really should have been on Stiff Upper Lip. It's more memorable than half the album.

Also, lots of great songs from Fly on the Wall and Flick of the Switch that are often forgotten about. The title tracks on both albums, Rising Power, Sink the Pink, Shake Your Foundations, Guns for Hire... the list goes on.

AC/DC was my first love and will always hold a special place for me. I've seen them live twice now and was blown away both times, even though both shows came after my obsession died down. My favorite album is probably Highway to Hell. Most underrated is hands down Flick of the Switch - a kickass record. Every now and again I'll listen to a song or album and it'll bring me right back.

WAY back in the day Powerage, HV, and I (during my asp324 days) used to post on the acdcrocks forum. Those were some good times.

AC/DC was my first love and will always hold a special place for me. I've seen them live twice now and was blown away both times, even though both shows came after my obsession died down. My favorite album is probably Highway to Hell. Most underrated is hands down Flick of the Switch - a kickass record. Every now and again I'll listen to a song or album and it'll bring me right back.

WAY back in the day Powerage, HV, and I (during my asp324 days) used to post on the acdcrocks forum. Those were some good times.

Back when the official AC/DC forum was good :tongue2:

I didn't mention earlier than I caught them three times on the Black Ice tour. They were the first band I heavily got into. I'm not as into them anymore, but I'll always go back to them and still enjoy their albums. It was great to finally see them live, even though I wasn't as into them at that point. It was almost bittersweet at the first show because my mindset went right back to my ten year old self and my obsession as soon as the first song hit. One of the best experiences I've had at a concert.

I'm sure if I went back to my ten year old self and told him that he'd have the chance to see AC/DC live three times in one year, he'd probably shit. :lol:

I love AC/DC, of course. They were my favorite band until I discovered Maiden. Take a guess what my favorite album is ;)

Based on your username, I'm going to guess that your favorite album is clearly the Australian release of TNT.

such a great band. i own all their albums in either cd or cassette and i have back in black on vinyl.

my favorite album is powerage. my favorite 2 songs on the album are whats next to the moon and downpayment blues

my other favorite albums:

flick of the switch

fly on the wall

diry deeds done dirt cheap

least favorite album

black ice

I've always been partial to Burnin' Alive from Ballbreaker. Great structure and a solid solo from Angus. I'm just not a huge fan of Brian's vocal on that track (this was that awkward period for his voice where he didn't quite sound like Razor's Edge Brian anymore but hadn't settled into a new approach to singing some of the higher stuff).

Love that song. Dunno why but it always comes hand-in-hand with Can't Stop Rock N' Roll, which is actually a nice track I completely forgot about in the OP. Another VERY forgotten song is Two's Up. Love Brian's voice there. He actually uses his talking voice during some of the verses, love that.

I also don't get the love for The Jack, Shot Down In Flames and Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be. Don't know what people see in those songs that's so special. They're good songs, IMO, but easily forgettable in the midst of the countless hits AC/DC has.

I'm also STRONGLY against the AC/DC live setlist. It's nuGnR x10. It's basically the same damn setlist since the Razor's Edge tour with a few holes for songs from the current album/tour and that's it. Instead of progressing and collecting hits from their albums, they just forget about any album after For Those About To Rock and just substitute the songs... that sucks. I'd kill for a chance to hear Who Made Who, Rising Power, Sink The Pink, Riff Raff, Heatseeker, That's the Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll, Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip live.