Which New GNR guitarist has done the best job covering Slash's guitar parts over the years?

Randy Lahey

Which New GNR guitarist has done the best job covering Slash's guitar parts over the years? Or whose interpretation of Slash's guitar parts have you enjoyed the most? I thought Bucket's interpretations were the most interesting. And Richard does a good job on the solos he is given.

Edited by Randy Lahey

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if youbmean who plays the closesy to slashs bluesy feel Id say Dj, but all guitarst in or out of gnr of the past 10 years are very talented player. And im not looking at them for covering someones past but to the way they put the emotions in the songs and playing live for the audience and their interaction with each other. But im a big fan of the Fortus. Very awesome playing and agresive force he puts on each night.

Well if youbmean who plays the closesy to slashs bluesy feel Id say Dj, but all guitarst in or out of gnr of the past 10 years are very talented player. And im not looking at them for covering someones past but to the way they put the emotions in the songs and playing live for the audience and their interaction with each other. But im a big fan of the Fortus. Very awesome playing and agresive force he puts on each night.

Buckethead. He adds his own robot style. Mechanical in every way. Nightrain being the highlite of Buckehead's GN'R career..

Ashba is Slash. You can't get any closer than being the exact same. :shrugs:

f c u k - o f f

He ain't no Slash. He don't come close..

Edited by star

Buckethead. He adds his own robot style. Mechanical in every way. Nightrain being the highlite of Buckehead's GN'R career..

Ashba is Slash. You can't get any closer than being the exact same. :shrugs:

f c u k - o f f

He ain't no Slash. He don't come close..

Fuck off yourself. It's not my fault that you can't handle reality.

Bumblefoot by far. he also added Slash-like guitar parts to CD which improved the album significantly. many songs would have sounded bland without his parts

I agree

I disagree. Ron is so far more advanced than anything Slashba could ever hope to accomplish that it's an insult to Ron to compare them.

Buckethead's Nightrain solo as his highlight in GnR? I mean, star, have you ever heard There Was a Time, Prostitute, Better, I.R.S., CD, SOD, Maddy and If The World?

In fact his Nightrain solo was probably his most uninspired ever besides Better and Rocket Queen. It's OK if you love it to death - in fact I love it, gotta tell you that -, but it's just his trademark lick being played over and over and over aaaaand over with a lick or two in between. I refuse to say Bucket's highlight in Guns would be that uninspired solo when he had much more inspired solos and moments.

As for the thread, it has to be both Ron and Robin with Bucket being a close third. Both were the most original because they didn't rely on their own patterns (Not as much as Bucket did), and they tried to get into Guns' style with their own identity instead of being an alien on earth. I love his approach, but it sounded too different from what Axl sounded, and both Robin and Robin compliment Axl's style better than him in my books. Bucket fits Primus better than GnR-like rock. He's a solo/duo/trio guy, not a band guy. His songwriting on Chinese (Scraped and Shackler's were written with Brain and Axl, maybe Robin and Caram added their things later, but it's pretty clear to me that they're Bucket/Brain solos. Another proof would be some internal sources telling us how Bucket thought it was the Axl & Bucket show. I like Bucket better than Robin, I love his solo career and all, but to me Robin fit Guns better because he acted and played like a band member, not as a star. As for Ron, the same: he's a band guy.

Buckethead's Nightrain solo as his highlight in GnR? I mean, star, have you ever heard There Was a Time, Prostitute, Better, I.R.S., CD, SOD, Maddy and If The World?

In fact his Nightrain solo was probably his most uninspired ever besides Better and Rocket Queen. It's OK if you love it to death - in fact I love it, gotta tell you that -, but it's just his trademark lick being played over and over and over aaaaand over with a lick or two in between. I refuse to say Bucket's highlight in Guns would be that uninspired solo when he had much more inspired solos and moments.

As for the thread, it has to be both Ron and Robin with Bucket being a close third. Both were the most original because they didn't rely on their own patterns (Not as much as Bucket did), and they tried to get into Guns' style with their own identity instead of being an alien on earth. I love his approach, but it sounded too different from what Axl sounded, and both Robin and Robin compliment Axl's style better than him in my books. Bucket fits Primus better than GnR-like rock. He's a solo/duo/trio guy, not a band guy. His songwriting on Chinese (Scraped and Shackler's were written with Brain and Axl, maybe Robin and Caram added their things later, but it's pretty clear to me that they're Bucket/Brain solos. Another proof would be some internal sources telling us how Bucket thought it was the Axl & Bucket show. I like Bucket better than Robin, I love his solo career and all, but to me Robin fit Guns better because he acted and played like a band member, not as a star. As for Ron, the same: he's a band guy.

Bucket's time in GNR could be seen as helping or hurting him. I think a problem a GNR member will run into is lack of patience with someone who has little of it. Even being doped up didn't help in that department.

I think for Robin, it showed him to be a better guitar player than people thought because in NIN, he was part of this wall of noise at the shows, great, sure, but just didn't really give much clue into his playing. I think Tremonti ran into that until last year and people were going "where has this guy been?" NIN is the Trent Reznor show, and even though people think GNR's the Axl Rose show, he's way more collaborative than Trent, at least until he started doing soundtrack stuff with Atticus and How to Destroy Angels with his wife.

Here's the thing, Axl's the star of that band, and he was laughing at Slash when he tried to get out in front and went on the ego ramp years ago, but that also got under Axl's skin, if you've read on "moments that lead to demise of GNR", but this gets into band dynamics in general and what everyone's place is in that band.

The whole founder of the band thing is important, but founders have been fired from the band, too.

The band dynamics of GNR will always be an issue. They'll be discussed in years to come, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and most of them are valid points.

Every band's different. Some drummers are the lead singers, as well as the bassists. Not a lot of lead guitarist and lead guitarist frontmen but they're def. out there.

Paul Tobias.

Can't pick him. Axl had to call him in to make SFTD a good song because Slash was incapable of doing it on his own. Slash's savior should never be relegated to simply being a good Slash cover artist. To be a good Slash cover artist, you need to be able to consistently fuck up any and all of your solos, and have a knack for writing generic bullshit whenever you're outside of Guns. As you can see, it boils down to DJ and Finck. DJ wins because he outslashes Finck though. :shrugs:

Mayntard-

I am not the subject of this topic. Just because your weird, and freaky, undying man crush on Slashba won't allow you to read the truth about him without raging like a teething infant, don't take it out on me and put me in positions that you've fantasised about being in for your whole 12 and ½ years of existence. Thanks.

Paul Tobias.

Can't pick him. Axl had to call him in to make SFTD a good song because Slash was incapable of doing it on his own. Slash's savior should never be relegated to simply being a good Slash cover artist. To be a good Slash cover artist, you need to be able to consistently fuck up any and all of your solos, and have a knack for writing generic bullshit whenever you're outside of Guns. As you can see, it boils down to DJ and Finck. DJ wins because he outslashes Finck though. :shrugs:

LOL! You know the only reason Axl brought in Tobias was because he was looking for away to piss Slash off. That's just what people that are carzy as hell like Axl do.

Sleeper-

Don't kid yourself. Slash's suckitude and his inability to grasp how to play Keef's solo forced Axl to go to drastic measures and bring in a nobody that could actually figure out how to play the solo right. If YouTube had been around at the time, who knows which of the sea of guitarists Axl would have brought in to make up for Slash?

I think DJ has done an amazing job! Bumblefoot is great too.

I've heard some of Slash's new album and the guitar solos sound just like the GNR guitar solos.

Even that Miles jerk is trying to sing like Axl.

I think Slash misses GNR more than Axl misses Slash.