The 2010 energy.

bumblecool

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Yes, 2010 depicted a ballsy new line-up with attitude and aspiration. Bumblefoot's personal life, particularly the car accident which spiralled him into an intensely depressive place, as well as his artistic impulse to make music, Tommy's evident issues with road life in terms of resisting the alcohols on offer, and DJ's preoccupation with his own self-promotion - coupled with Axl's failure to strike when the iron was hot and have them in a studio collectively; has drained that.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you & lolcano are sayin is that all the live versions of NR of UYI lineup era (all with rasp) are crap? :awesomeface:

I'm saying that I don't particularly like Axl's vocals on the studio version. The instrumentation and production is top-notch, including Slash's playing, but I think Axl's cleaner vocals suit the song more.

Gotta respect your opinion being put that way.

IMO NR is one of the songs that the lack of rasp does the least of harm to the original song, being YCBM the exact opposite.

Raspy vocals are shit on November Rain, studio version included.

i agree. I prefer a clean voice on NR or SCOM. The Live Era version of SCOM sounds so shit.

just a example.. I love the clean voice !!!

I've never heard a live SCOM by Axl that I've liked.

There's a video from either the first or second Vegas show, I think it's the first, where he sings SCOM way better than usual. Mostly I agree though - too much rasp on the UYI tour, and 2001-now he's sorta all over the place but never really gets to where he's supposed to be vocally. 87-88 was the only time he did SCOM really well live. The Sail Away Sweet Sister intro is and always will be amazing though.

great times...!!!

He was so powerfull and had an extreme control over his voice we really havent seen sience the 80¨s.

great times...!!!

He was so powerfull and had an extreme control over his voice we really havent seen sience the 80¨s.

Yes! While I'm watching performances from mid-2010, I cannot help but be impressed by both his power and control.

Parts of Canada 2010 were great, but for me he peaked mid-2010 with such shows as Prague, Arnhem, London, Bucharest. Seemed a bit weaker at Abu Dhabi by the end of the year.

London 2010 was something special, but Bucharest 2010 is such a gem for me. I can watch utube vids from that gig as a dvd, pure quality.

Lots of truth here. Personally i'd say that Lille and Arnhem are better vocally than even London, and better quality recordings. Arnhem is wonderful as the vocal is so high in the mix and every single song is easily in the top 3 or 5 performances of that song vocally in the new era. Amazing Sorry, TIL, Better, Madagascar. I particularly love Sorry as it isn't swamped in effects and backing vocals so when he sings 'just shutup and sing...' you can just hear him holding the note for ages, no echo or backing tracks.

I'm not aware of a boot of Bucharest. Are you talking just about Youtube videos?

The user 'grassu075' uploaded most of the Bucharest show in 1080p.

Raspy vocals are shit on November Rain, studio version included.

i agree. I prefer a clean voice on NR or SCOM. The Live Era version of SCOM sounds so shit.

just a example.. I love the clean voice !!!

I've never heard a live SCOM by Axl that I've liked.

There's a video from either the first or second Vegas show, I think it's the first, where he sings SCOM way better than usual. Mostly I agree though - too much rasp on the UYI tour, and 2001-now he's sorta all over the place but never really gets to where he's supposed to be vocally. 87-88 was the only time he did SCOM really well live. The Sail Away Sweet Sister intro is and always will be amazing though.

I think that this SCOM from 2006 has the perfect 'dose' of rasp to it - imo much better than UYI era vocals (too much rasp):

after this thread i'm starting to doubt that theory of cameras not not being able to record rasp that some nice people here actually believe in.

Yep, It's a really laughable theory...

What amazes me most is that Axl obviously knowing he was going through a great vocals period, why did he not decide to record a single fucking proshot show!? Then all the sudden we're in 2012 and his voice is shot and shitty more often than not and he finally decides to do it. Go figure Axl...

Edited by trqster