The Official Black Sabbath '13'/Tour Thread

bran

there is only 3 ozzy solo albums that i think are good the rest are really a mixed bag.

as for the last sabbath show it is really sad, but pretty much inevitable after the ozzy settlement, iommi really has no avenue to go down for sabbath with ronnie dead.

what are the 3 albums?

for me, blizzard of ozz, diary of a madman and bark at the moon are the only great ozzy solo albums...everything after has been subpar or outright terrible

Swap No More Tears for Bark At The Moon, and the list is correct.

no more tears has some strong tracks but it doesn't sustain thru the whole record

bark at the moon is admittedly on the cheesy side but jake e lee's work puts it over the top for me

That's what fails to sell it to me. Lee was good but on the back of the 2 Randy albums, it's pretty disappointing by comparison. NMT has not only Zakk's riffs which are more modern and meaner/heavier, but also Lemmy contributes some killer tracks.

there is only 3 ozzy solo albums that i think are good the rest are really a mixed bag.

as for the last sabbath show it is really sad, but pretty much inevitable after the ozzy settlement, iommi really has no avenue to go down for sabbath with ronnie dead.

what are the 3 albums?

for me, blizzard of ozz, diary of a madman and bark at the moon are the only great ozzy solo albums...everything after has been subpar or outright terrible

Swap No More Tears for Bark At The Moon, and the list is correct.

no more tears has some strong tracks but it doesn't sustain thru the whole record

bark at the moon is admittedly on the cheesy side but jake e lee's work puts it over the top for me

That's what fails to sell it to me. Lee was good but on the back of the 2 Randy albums, it's pretty disappointing by comparison. NMT has not only Zakk's riffs which are more modern and meaner/heavier, but also Lemmy contributes some killer tracks.

I think the Lemmy songs are the strongest on the album

And yeah, coming off of RR, it was a bit of a shock in the change of sound and it does have a bit of 80's hair metal guitar to it but I've never been able to warm to Zakk's style of playing

And yeah, coming off of RR, it was a bit of a shock in the change of sound and it does have a bit of 80's hair metal guitar to it but I've never been able to warm to Zakk's style of playing

That being said, if you compare their solo careers, seems like the ground just swallowed Jake as soon as the Ultimate Sin tour cycle was done. Zakk has gone on to do some pretty successful stuff on his own. The squealing and pentatonic fast shred gets old, but he's managed to retain some staying power whereas Jake has not been heard from in decades.

That being said, if you compare their solo careers, seems like the ground just swallowed Jake as soon as the Ultimate Sin tour cycle was done. Zakk has gone on to do some pretty successful stuff on his own. The squealing and pentatonic fast shred gets old, but he's managed to retain some staying power whereas Jake has not been heard from in decades.

Jake does have a new band and album both called Red Dragon Cartel. Definitely very 80's sounding but still bearable.

His work in Badlands wasn't half bad either but Zakk's certainly got him beat on staying around, staying relevant and releasing tons more music. I did like Zakk's band Pride & Glory

Jake does have a new band and album both called Red Dragon Cartel. Definitely very 80's sounding but still bearable.

His work in Badlands wasn't half bad either but Zakk's certainly got him beat on staying around, staying relevant and releasing tons more music. I did like Zakk's band Pride & Glory

That is literally the one Zakk solo thing I can always still go back to and enjoy. BLS got pretty repetitive after Blessed Hellride, but P&G and maybe Book Of Shadows, I can still listen to.

• Like 1

No More Tears is a pretty overrated Ozzy album IMO, it's got a sort of LA vibe to it, or Ozzy going "mature" or whatever...I like Ozzmosis a lot ( which probably defined his "mature" songs phase) but the classic hammer horror + self awareness direction of everything up to and including No Rest For The Wicked is my favourite period of Ozzy "solo".

BATM is the first solo Ozzy record, Blizzard and Diary were by a BAND called Blizzard Of Ozz, despite what Sharon and Ozzy had put on the album covers.

Bob Daisley, Randy Rhoads and Lee Kerslake DID NOT join Ozzy's solo backing group, it was a band and they never went in as "sidemen".

I liked Pride And Glory and Zakk can still play but he has become incredibly tasteless in his image, playing style and direction to the point he is a caricature.

He should never be allowed to handle vocals, ever.

After the Viv Campbell DIO albums, I think they (he) put out very mediocre albums up until the 90s.

RJD was a true god of metal (or whatever) but he always managed to overdo it at the end of songs with his histrionics :lol:

A superb voice, but IMO he needed to sing less sometimes, or often :P

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hopefully Rick Rubin lets them actually be Black Sabbath this time,instead of a black sabbath tribute band.

;)

well all i can say is i hope it doesnt suck like 13 did.

I don't get this bash for the 13 album....

Yes, with Rubin you should expect this sound. This will not get better, so don't even bother to wait and listen this new record, because it sound like exactly the same. Rick Rubin is a lazy dwarf under the influence of the Loudness war

Personally (and i'm in the majority here, imo) i think 13 is a great album with a lot of good stuff

The first 2 tracks is too long but overall 13 is a damn good record with lots of killer Iommi riffs and great musicianship

Don't expect a miracle from guys in their 60's :shrugs:

Also i just hope Bill can chime in somehow

Edited by Motivation

the devil you know was done with 2 guys with cancer and in their 60s and was still superior to 13 in everyway. 13 was souless and bland it sounded like ozzy was literally reading lyrics off a sheet while recording his vocals. the riffs were just rehashed riffs of past hits, and they did a very paint by numbers right down to the "experimental" planet caravan rip off.

• Like 2

I'm excited, don't get me wrong. Even though it didn't really sound like Sabbath I still found some enjoyment out of 13.

I'm sure there will be some more great riffs and a good song or two, I just wish they'd channel the original funky-metal Sabbath sound that was so prevalent in their early albums instead of trying to go straight doom metal.

the devil you know was done with 2 guys with cancer and in their 60s and was still superior to 13 in everyway. 13 was souless and bland it sounded like ozzy was literally reading lyrics off a sheet while recording his vocals. the riffs were just rehashed riffs of past hits, and they did a very paint by numbers right down to the "experimental" planet caravan rip off.

I still get a kick out of the note-for-note NIB ripoff, minus the riff. :lol:

exactly i want a sabbath album. sabbath albums were always varied and it was never straight doom(outside of master of reality really even that had a song like solitude) the whole notion that sabbath was a doom band is wrong, yes they laid the groundwork and had doomy songs but they were always experimenting and doing a lot of different things, look at the difference of master of reality to volume 4, and then volume 4 to sabbath bloody sabbath.

yeah im still excited, sabbath is pretty much my favorite band but like with going to 13 i have some huge doubts, also if this is the last sabbath album bill ward better be the fucking drummer.

A new album is NOT confirmed yet. This is obviously a fan site, but this guy always has the scoop on pretty much everything Sabbath related before anyone in the media does:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2014/09/a-new-sabbath-album-in-2015-well/

yeah joe knows his shit.

• Like 2

You'd rather have an Ozzy solo album, BS? I thought Sabbath was your favorite band!

And I liked 13 a lot, it was really Black Sabbathy to me

I prefer Ozzy solo from Sabbath, but love them both obviously. Loved 13, but I'm biased I guess. Still excited if they do a new album and tour again, but looking forward to Ozzy solo again.