The Official Black Sabbath '13'/Tour Thread

bran

Is there anyone who is just indifferent on 13? It seems that everyone absolutely loved it, or hated it with a passion.

it seems to be a love it or hate it type of album. its just it seems too forced and like sabbath was playing homage to themselves.

• Like 2

The problem with 13 is that the world sees it as a success. Casuals think it sounds like Sabbath, so there's no reason to deviate from the formula. I wish it bombed.

Nothing with Ozzy would ever bomb. The world is always clammering for anything Sabbath with Ozzy, regardless of quality.

the devil you know was done with 2 guys with cancer and in their 60s and was still superior to 13 in everyway. 13 was souless and bland it sounded like ozzy was literally reading lyrics off a sheet while recording his vocals. the riffs were just rehashed riffs of past hits, and they did a very paint by numbers right down to the "experimental" planet caravan rip off.

Actually i think Devil you know is a great record, but if you think 13 is souless, i only assume you just like the Dio era more and you're biased (or you still expect a MOR 2 from those guys...)

The problem with 13 is that the world sees it as a success. Casuals think it sounds like Sabbath, so there's no reason to deviate from the formula. I wish it bombed.

Nothing with Ozzy would ever bomb. The world is always clammering for anything Sabbath with Ozzy, regardless of quality.

Sadly, this is actually true

If i wasn't hear Ozzy on Planet Caravan and Solitude and Changes and She's Gone (and hear him actually singing GREAT) then i would think he doesn't deserve the hype that he got for decades now....

• 6 months later...

Final tour next year. Get Bill on board!

The Osbournes ain't coming.

ozzy(sharon) and bill have been having a war of words and after reading the stuff they said i think hell will freeze over before bill plays with sabbath again.

Please, man!!!!! BILL! At least on the record. Dude deserves it. And please, be more Vol.4 and less 13. Fuck, that album was so-so.

yeah im with you, i want bill to atleast do the album and do at least the last show but i dont think it will happen. as for the album yeah i agree i would like to see more organic sabbath over manufactured sabbath.

I don't get the hate for 13. It was a really good metal record imo. Age of Reason is a really standout track and overall, I thought it was really good. Why don't you guys like it?

Also, one more album/tour cycle would be nice, but I don't think it really matters. The 13 cycle was overall really well received and a good way to bow out.

Would it be cool to have Bill back? Yeah, but it won't happen. Also, Ozzy really sucks live.

Either way, I enjoyed seeing them and getting the new record.

EDIT- Just saw the article where Ozzy says they'll do another cycle in 2016. I would definitely get the album and would maybe even see them again. Even if Ozzy sucked, it was a great show. Iommi and Butler are one of the most powerful bass/guitar combos I have ever heard live. Their drummer was excellent, too

Edited by ZoSoRose

Don't hold your breath for Bill. The dueling statements between him and Ozzy seem to be scorched-earth, no turning back levels of bad blood. It's too bad, but I have absolutely no expectation that it will ever happen.

I really liked 13, but never got to see them. I'd like to get the chance in 2016 if scheduling works out better this time. Mostly just hope Tony can hang on that long...

Don't hold your breath for Bill. The dueling statements between him and Ozzy seem to be scorched-earth, no turning back levels of bad blood. It's too bad, but I have absolutely no expectation that it will ever happen.

I really liked 13, but never got to see them. I'd like to get the chance in 2016 if scheduling works out better this time. Mostly just hope Tony can hang on that long...

I'm not, and honestly, I thought the drummers both on the record and tour were fine. Bill would only be needed because he is Bill (which is a good enough argument)

I think Black Sabbath was one of the best "jam bands" ever. Up there with Zeppelin. That whole first record was magic. Geezer, Bill, and Tony were just so tight. I picture the four of them in a small room jamming in a circle when I hear stuff like "The Warning".

I think Black Sabbath was one of the best "jam bands" ever. Up there with Zeppelin. That whole first record was magic. Geezer, Bill, and Tony were just so tight. I picture the four of them in a small room jamming in a circle when I hear stuff like "The Warning".

And you're unsure as to why people don't like 13? It has none of those funky, jam band elements that made early Sabbath what it was. It's the Sabbath guys playing Godsmack.

• Like 1

And you're unsure as to why people don't like 13? It has none of those funky, jam band elements that made early Sabbath what it was. It's the Sabbath guys playing Godsmack.

Rick Rubin spoiled everything, and was a huge part of that sound.

Just let it end already. There's no band that needs to hang it up more than Sabbath. Ozzy sounds like shit, 13 was one of the most disappointing albums of the 21st century, Bill is gone, and the setlists make the Stones' setlists look exciting. There's no reason for Sabbath to be a band anymore.

• Like 1

13 sounded like Sabbath forgot how to Sabbath, and asked someone who knows the basics of Sabbath to guide them. They were trying to be themselves again and got that vibe less than other bands that do the same nowadays. It all felt mechanical, like they came up with formulas and copied old song structures completely. Clones were made, drumming was stale, vocals sucked, it has it's moments but it's a quest to listen from beginning to end.

They moved on from that sound long ago. Idk, I think they did the whole "doom" thing fine on 13. It isn't like a masterpiece, but I think its pretty good.

I also do kind of agree with Powerage, I guess. I enjoyed the 13 album and tour, but if there was a band that should hang it up, it'd be Sabbath. I'd still support whatever they do next, though

Just let it end already. There's no band that needs to hang it up more than Sabbath. Ozzy sounds like shit, 13 was one of the most disappointing albums of the 21st century, Bill is gone, and the setlists make the Stones' setlists look exciting. There's no reason for Sabbath to be a band anymore.

i wish ronnie was still alive :(

13 sounded like Sabbath forgot how to Sabbath, and asked someone who knows the basics of Sabbath to guide them. They were trying to be themselves again and got that vibe less than other bands that do the same nowadays. It all felt mechanical, like they came up with formulas and copied old song structures completely. Clones were made, drumming was stale, vocals sucked, it has it's moments but it's a quest to listen from beginning to end.

100% agree.

100% agree.
Seriously, Heaven & Hell was amazing. It was everything the current Sabbath isn't; Rinnie sounded fucking amazing, it was a traditional lineup for the band, TDYK was a great album, and the live shows were great. Sabbath should've really ended with Dio's death.
  • Like 1

100% agree.
Seriously, Heaven & Hell was amazing. It was everything the current Sabbath isn't; Rinnie sounded fucking amazing, it was a traditional lineup for the band, TDYK was a great album, and the live shows were great. Sabbath should've really ended with Dio's death.

What? Why? Sure, TDYK was great (still pissed I didn't hit that tour) but 13 was a great way to end things. You get a final album with Ozzy, most people liked it (sorry guys, its true), and it let fans who didn't get to see the original lineup get one more chance.

Come on...

• Like 1

Call me biased, but I think '13' gets a lot of undeserved hate. It didn't have the "classic" Sabbath sound, but neither do Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die. I think people tend to forget about stuff like that. '13' sounds more like Sabbath than those do, in my opinion.

As for hanging it up, it's not like they've been doing this for the last 15-20 years. :shrugs: They've gotten back together like 3 times since the late 90's, had fun and decided to do an album this last time. So really, compared to other bands, they haven't been milking it much. As much as I love Gn'R, then and now, to be on a Gn'R forum and say there's no band that needs to hang it up more than Sabbath is a little crazy :lol:

I still think Ozzy sounds fine, especially compared to other band's singers (i.e. Axl, David Lee Roth, etc.). Granted Ozzy doesn't sing stuff like either of those two, but still. If you're just comparing vocals for the songs these artists sing, I think Ozzy does better than both of those two. One can argue for Axl, but we know how Axl's vocals are the last few years and they usually aren't "on point" until the second half to the last quarter of the touring he's doing.

As for BIll, yeah, I'd like to see him in the band as much as anyone else, but who knows what the full, true story is. I will say, regardless of what Bill says, I don't think his health would have held up like he claims he would have.

And I thought the setlists were pretty good on the last tour. They had the hits, 4-5 new songs, which is pretty much what every band does anymore, thought obviously some are exceptions to the rule.

• Like 1

Call me biased, but I think '13' gets a lot of undeserved hate. It didn't have the "classic" Sabbath sound, but neither do Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die. I think people tend to forget about stuff like that. '13' sounds more like Sabbath than those do, in my opinion.

As for hanging it up, it's not like they've been doing this for the last 15-20 years. :shrugs: They've gotten back together like 3 times since the late 90's, had fun and decided to do an album this last time. So really, compared to other bands, they haven't been milking it much. As much as I love Gn'R, then and now, to be on a Gn'R forum and say there's no band that needs to hang it up more than Sabbath is a little crazy :lol:

I still think Ozzy sounds fine, especially compared to other band's singers (i.e. Axl, David Lee Roth, etc.). Granted Ozzy doesn't sing stuff like either of those two, but still. If you're just comparing vocals for the songs these artists sing, I think Ozzy does better than both of those two. One can argue for Axl, but we know how Axl's vocals are the last few years and they usually aren't "on point" until the second half to the last quarter of the touring he's doing.

As for BIll, yeah, I'd like to see him in the band as much as anyone else, but who knows what the full, true story is. I will say, regardless of what Bill says, I don't think his health would have held up like he claims he would have.

And I thought the setlists were pretty good on the last tour. They had the hits, 4-5 new songs, which is pretty much what every band does anymore, thought obviously some are exceptions to the rule.

I agree with everything except the Ozzy thing

I've seen GNR 3 times, VH once, and Ozzy twice (solo and with BS). As terrible as DLR is, I think Ozzy is worse. I still really enjoyed all those shows, but the dude can't sing live anymore. Its ok imo, since his shows are still fun. Axl is leagues better than both of them on a normal night (unless you are comparing an off night like RIR, Bridge School, or Golden Gods)