The Official Black Sabbath '13'/Tour Thread

bran

What's so random about it? It's a highly polarizing album (Arguably more so than any other Sabbath album) and this is the thread we started for the album/tour cycle.

Just because its 2 years old. Its cool though, its a fun topic.

it wasnt organic sounding or feeling to me at all IMO.

Oh god, stop this shit, man....

They will never be as organic as in their 20-30's....

Plus if you add Rick Rubin to the mix, you will find why they're sound like this...

God, you people had too much expectations...

The album still got kick ass riffs and Brad Wilk's drumming was ok and fit for their style

I'm just glad that they don't auto tune the shit out of Ozzy's vocals... He barely can sing anymore, but it's understandable, it's a miracle that he is alive. I thiink people who like Ozzy, mostly like him, because of his persona and his legacy, not because his voice (at least not now)

Come on. Black Sabbath (minus Bill) reunites and starts recording an album, and we're not supposed to have expectations? That's the cross you bear when you reunite and record an album. It would be the same for any band as big as Sabbath. You can try all you want to not have expectations, but recording a "reunion" album guarantees a level of expectation. It's unavoidable.

The album is completely forgettable. If I want to listen to Ozzy Sabbath, I'll listen to the earlier albums because they are leagues better. The Devil You Know is an album I still want to listen to, alongside Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer. That's why it'll always be the better album for me.

I agree that its fine that people have high expectations

Anyways, I've made my stance clear- I really do like the record. Great guitar work and the songs are cool. I do think it is a bit of a copy cat record at times, though.

1.End of the Beginning = Black Sabbath

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

4. Zeitgeist = Planet Caravan

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

7. Damaged Soul = The Warning

8. Dear Father

So, 4 songs on the album are really close in sound and structure to past songs. The other songs also bear a lot of similarities to their past stuff. So, I totally get that complain. Still, I think this is all good music. End of the Beginning has great guitar work, God is Dead? has a really cool second half. Loner is catchy with good musicianship. Zeitgeist is a good Planet Caravan ripoff. Age of Reason is one of their best songs in decades imo, the final solo is excellent. Live Forever is kind of forgettable. Damaged Soul is awesome, lots of awesome guitar and a good throwback to jammy Sabbath. Dear Father is the most Ozzy/newish sounding song and it grew on me.

I think 13 is way better than Forbidden and the Tony Martin stuff.

Not for me. I'd take any Tony Martin album over 13 except for Forbidden, and maybe Cross Purposes.

lets not talk shit about cross purposes :lol:

• Like 1

Not for me. I'd take any Tony Martin album over 13 except for Forbidden, and maybe Cross Purposes.

I think Cross Purposes (IMO best they wrote with Martin) wipes the floor with 13.

What's so random about it? It's a highly polarizing album (Arguably more so than any other Sabbath album) and this is the thread we started for the album/tour cycle.

Plus if you add Rick Rubin to the mix, you will find why they're sound like this...

The album still got kick ass riffs and Brad Wilk's drumming was ok and fit for their style

I'm just glad that they don't auto tune the shit out of Ozzy's vocals... He barely can sing anymore, but it's understandable, it's a miracle that he is alive. I thiink people who like Ozzy, mostly like him, because of his persona and his legacy, not because his voice (at least not now)

Come on. Black Sabbath (minus Bill) reunites and starts recording an album, and we're not supposed to have expectations? That's the cross you bear when you reunite and record an album. It would be the same for any band as big as Sabbath. You can try all you want to not have expectations, but recording a "reunion" album guarantees a level of expectation. It's unavoidable.

The album is completely forgettable. If I want to listen to Ozzy Sabbath, I'll listen to the earlier albums because they are leagues better. The Devil You Know is an album I still want to listen to, alongside Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer. That's why it'll always be the better album for me.

Anyways, I've made my stance clear- I really do like the record. Great guitar work and the songs are cool. I do think it is a bit of a copy cat record at times, though.

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

So, 4 songs on the album are really close in sound and structure to past songs. The other songs also bear a lot of similarities to their past stuff. So, I totally get that complain. Still, I think this is all good music. End of the Beginning has great guitar work, God is Dead? has a really cool second half. Loner is catchy with good musicianship. Zeitgeist is a good Planet Caravan ripoff. Age of Reason is one of their best songs in decades imo, the final solo is excellent. Live Forever is kind of forgettable. Damaged Soul is awesome, lots of awesome guitar and a good throwback to jammy Sabbath. Dear Father is the most Ozzy/newish sounding song and it grew on me.

Have you heard the bonus tracks? Yikes

Naiviete in Black had a really good solo and I quite liked Pariah

Methademic was meh

I think Cross Purposes (IMO best they wrote with Martin) wipes the floor with 13.
Cross Purposes is my second least favorite Martin album. Not bad by any means, just not one I listen to regularly. My Martin rankings go:

1. Headless Cross

2. The Eternal Idol

3. Tyr

4. Cross Purposes

5. Forbidden

Cross Purposes is my second least favorite Martin album. Not bad by any means, just not one I listen to regularly. My Martin rankings go:

1. Headless Cross

2. The Eternal Idol

3. Tyr

4. Cross Purposes

5. Forbidden

headless cross is definitely my favorite. i like all martin albums(outside of forbidden) very underrated. forbidden had a decent track or two, shaking off the chains was pretty good and had an awesome riff.

1 headless cross

2.the eternal idol

3. cross purposes

4. tyr

5. forbidden

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

Methademic was meh

NIB? The bonus tracks I know were Methademic, Peace of Mind and Pariah.

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

Methademic was meh

naiviete in black was only available as a bonus disc from best buy, also from the japanese version of 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVbQaU6le20

Edited by bran

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

Methademic was meh

naiviete in black was only available as a bonus disc from best buy, also from the japanese version of 13.

Whoah I had never heard that before! Man, it's bad... :lol:

• Like 1

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

Methademic was meh

Whoah I had never heard that before! Man, it's bad... :lol:

yeah i didnt like it either.

I don't have a high opinion of 13 but the bonus tracks are just plain awful, you can see why they never made the final cut.

The 4 unreleased tracks are probably even worse.

The muse deserted Ozzy back at the turn of the century, he just seems to sing the same song over and over again these days.

#Bran and #P5: I love how everybody has a different view/rank of the Martin albums. I've never been able to fully get into Headless Cross or TYR.

Cross Purposes is definitely my favourite, with Eternal Idol a close second...I prefer Gillen's vocals on that one though.

Naiviete in Black is meh

I was thinking of Pariah with the cool solo

i thought peace of mind was decent.

as for the album 13, i thought age of reason was great.

Edited by bran

I honestly don't remember the last time I listened to 13.

i listened to it for about 2 weeks after it was released and it hasnt been played since. i listen to age of reason or live forever once in a blue moon on youtube when im doing some work on my pc but other than that i havent listened to the album since then. it is sad really since im spinning sabbath albums all the time.

I honestly don't remember the last time I listened to 13.

i listened to it for about 2 weeks after it was released and it hasnt been played since. i listen to age of reason or live forever once in a blue moon on youtube when im doing some work on my pc but other than that i havent listened to the album since then. it is sad really since im spinning sabbath albums all the time.

That's probably around when I listened to it last also.

It reminds me of Heaven & Hell but with Ozzy a little. Age of Reason and Lonely is The Word are not so different.

Much better than Psycho Man and Selling My Soul, and I like those songs.

There is literally nothing in common between Heaven And Hell and 13. They're totally different ends of the metal spectrum.

Naiviete in Black is meh

Age of Reason is definitely the best song from those sessions imo

Gonna give it a listen again. One I like is Loner, and the final part of God is Dead? is pretty good. But The whole song is kinda boring.

Naiviete in Black is meh

Gonna give it a listen again. One I like is Loner, and the final part of God is Dead? is pretty good. But The whole song is kinda boring.

god is dead would have been much better if it was cut by 2 or 3 minutes because the end part is pretty good.

• Like 1

To each of his own, i guess.. I'm talking about general assumptions, not personal taste

TDYK: i rarely listen to that album now

Yeah 13 could have been better but when they announced Rick Rubin i instantly know not to had too much expectations, man... Not to mention the fact that they are in their 60's, they wouldn't reinvent the wheel....

Btw you can't really compare a Dio album with an Ozzy album. Completely different league

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

agreed, but Zeitgeist is not a total rip off and Loner is a bit boring, could have been shorter. XYeah the weakest songs for me: EOTB, GID

Plus the bonus tracks are better than half of the standard album songs....Pariah is my fav from 13 and i think it's the best song from those sessions

Edited by Strange Broue

Funny how our opinions vary

Forbidden is my fav Martin era album

Forbidden > TYR> Headless Cross> Cross Purposes

The Eternal idol was better with Ray Gillen vocals, imo

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

and i thought that you have some decent musical taste, lol

Edited by Strange Broue

Naiviete in Black is meh

yeah, at first i liked it, but after a few listens i can see why they left out that track from most of the releases...

P.S.: fuck this damn quote "engine" my posts wiped out because of too many quotes...

Naiviete in Black is meh

AOR got the best riff, yeah

Also the song kicked ass live (even Ozzy can pull it off sometimes on the USA tour)

Naiviete in Black is meh

god is dead would have been much better if it was cut by 2 or 3 minutes because the end part is pretty good.

That's the only good part and that's a direct rip off from Hole in the Sky :D

Funny thing is, GID is my least fav from 13

Too long

They could have been dropped off from live shows as well, but that was the first single :facepalm: