The Official Black Sabbath '13'/Tour Thread

bran

I really don't think he sounds terrible. There are songs that I can admit he definitely struggles with, but overall I think he still sounds fine. That's just me, but I can kind of understand where some come from with that though.

As for Axl, the first half of the 2011 tour was rough. The first residency had its moments, but overall not too great. 2013 was probably the worst year vocally since he came back. And South America in 2014 was pretty bad. He got better by the time Vegas came around, especially the final shows, but still.

Im just saying, when talking vocals, as much as I defend him, I'll definitely call out the shit.

I really don't think he sounds terrible. There are songs that I can admit he definitely struggles with, but overall I think he still sounds fine. That's just me, but I can kind of understand where some come from with that though.

As for Axl, the first half of the 2011 tour was rough. The first residency had its moments, but overall not too great. 2013 was probably the worst year vocally since he came back. And South America in 2014 was pretty bad. He got better by the time Vegas came around, especially the final shows, but still.

Im just saying, when talking vocals, as much as I defend him, I'll definitely call out the shit.

Yeah, that is fair

I think Axl was much rougher in 2013-2014 than 2011-2012, but Vegas 2014 was good

13 may be the least organic album I've ever heard. It's more like "Rick Rubin Presents: Black Sabbath" than anything else. I mean, it's fine. But it's extremely forgettable. It's an album without a point, really.

it sounds like it could have been recorded by a tribute band.

• Like 1

it wasnt organic sounding or feeling to me at all IMO.

Oh god, stop this shit, man....

They will never be as organic as in their 20-30's....

Plus if you add Rick Rubin to the mix, you will find why they're sound like this...

God, you people had too much expectations...

The album still got kick ass riffs and Brad Wilk's drumming was ok and fit for their style

I'm just glad that they don't auto tune the shit out of Ozzy's vocals... He barely can sing anymore, but it's understandable, it's a miracle that he is alive. I thiink people who like Ozzy, mostly like him, because of his persona and his legacy, not because his voice (at least not now)

We will never get to see Bill with Sabbath again, so get over it, already

It would be cool, but it won't happen. Actually i think we have more chance to see Axl with Slash again, than Sabbath with Bill

Yeah, Sharon treats everybody like is her peasants, but Tony got cancer, so it would be better if Bill just STFU and sign the damn contract... Bill is man up for himself now, but it's too late... also the biggest disrespect is that he do this fuckery in the public media and not behind the scenes.... Plus he is disrespectful for Iommi's conditions.

Fuck Bill

(yes, i said that)

Edited by Strange Broue

Just let it end already. There's no band that needs to hang it up more than Sabbath. Ozzy sounds like shit, 13 was one of the most disappointing albums of the 21st century, Bill is gone, and the setlists make the Stones' setlists look exciting. There's no reason for Sabbath to be a band anymore.

i wish ronnie was still alive :(

13 sounded like Sabbath forgot how to Sabbath, and asked someone who knows the basics of Sabbath to guide them. They were trying to be themselves again and got that vibe less than other bands that do the same nowadays. It all felt mechanical, like they came up with formulas and copied old song structures completely. Clones were made, drumming was stale, vocals sucked, it has it's moments but it's a quest to listen from beginning to end.

100% agree.
Seriously, Heaven & Hell was amazing. It was everything the current Sabbath isn't; Rinnie sounded fucking amazing, it was a traditional lineup for the band, TDYK was a great album, and the live shows were great. Sabbath should've really ended with Dio's death.

What? Why? Sure, TDYK was great (still pissed I didn't hit that tour) but 13 was a great way to end things. You get a final album with Ozzy, most people liked it (sorry guys, its true), and it let fans who didn't get to see the original lineup get one more chance.

Come on...

Exactly

i just think that bran, powerage are more fans of the heavy metal sabbath, than the stoner sabbath

That's all

No disrespect for Ronnie (i'm glad that i catch them in 2007) but the public care about the Ozzy fronted Sabbath and couldn't give a shit about other lineups really, so THIS IS how Sabbath should have ended (apart from Bill's situation)

Keep in mind that i wrote this as a fan of EVERY era of Sabbath: even Tony Martin or Glenn Hughes/Ray Gillen and Ian Gillan era's

Edited by Strange Broue

Plus if you add Rick Rubin to the mix, you will find why they're sound like this...

The album still got kick ass riffs and Brad Wilk's drumming was ok and fit for their style

I'm just glad that they don't auto tune the shit out of Ozzy's vocals... He barely can sing anymore, but it's understandable, it's a miracle that he is alive. I thiink people who like Ozzy, mostly like him, because of his persona and his legacy, not because his voice (at least not now)

It would be cool, but it won't happen. Actually i think we have more chance to see Axl with Slash again, than Sabbath with Bill

Yeah, Sharon treats everybody like is her peasants, but Tony got cancer, so it would be better if Bill just STFU and sign the damn contract... Bill is man up for himself now, but it's too late... also the biggest disrespect is that he do this fuckery in the public media and not behind the scenes.... Plus he is disrespectful for Iommi's conditions.

Fuck Bill

(yes, i said that)

Too much expectations? Fuck off. If you're alright being handed shit and being expected to pay for it, all the power to you.

How is it too much expectations to expect Black Sabbath (Bill or not) to release an album that sounds like Black Sabbath, without the songs being blatant ripoffs of their old songs.

It's amazing really. They somehow managed to both rip off a bunch of classic Sabbath songs while not retaining an ounce of the actual Sabbath sound.

Fuck Rick Rubin. The only good thing he's done in the last 15 years is (most of) his work with the Chili Peppers.

That's because they aren't Black Sabbath :max:

You might be a giant hooray for tolerance!, but you're a giganticly right hooray for tolerance!.

*fist bump*

Iommi is Black Sabbath sorry

No other members can hold up for that long...

Fuck Bill

(yes, i said that)

Too much expectations? Fuck off. If you're alright being handed shit and being expected to pay for it, all the power to you.

How is it too much expectations to expect Black Sabbath (Bill or not) to release an album that sounds like Black Sabbath, without the songs being blatant ripoffs of their old songs.

It's amazing really. They somehow managed to both rip off a bunch of classic Sabbath songs while not retaining an ounce of the actual Sabbath sound.

Fuck Rick Rubin. The only good thing he's done in the last 15 years is (most of) his work with the Chili Peppers.

nah, i just had a brain, bro

They are in their 60's

I think your musical taste is too much strict anyway, so your opinion always be considered like a hipster opinion, so

other who have bash this album are mostly Dio fans here or they had really too much expectations

of course they rip off themselves. Anybody who follows their career can expect and know this.

Btw Listen to Damaged Soul. You got the original classic Sabbath vibe

I think you just want to bash them, regardless of the actual album quality

Edited by Strange Broue

You might be a giant hooray for tolerance!, but you're a giganticly right hooray for tolerance!.

*fist bump*

Fuck Bill

(yes, i said that)

They are in their 60's

I think your musical tasts is too much strict anyway, so your opinion always be considered like a hipster opinion, so

other who have bash this albumare mostly Dio fans here or they had really too much expectations

Try responding to my post this time. How is it too much expectations to expect Black Sabbath to make a decent album that sounds like Black Sabbath? I'm not asking for Master of Reality 2.0, just an album that actually sounds like Black Sabbath and isn't a bunch of note-for-note rehashes of their old songs.

*fist bump*

Fuck Bill

(yes, i said that)

They are in their 60's

I think your musical taste is too much strict anyway, so your opinion always be considered like a hipster opinion, so

other who have bash this album are mostly Dio fans here or they had really too much expectations

of course they rip off themselves. Anybody who follows their career can expect and know this.

Btw Listen to Damaged Soul. You got the original classic Sabbath vibe

I think you just want to bash them, regardless of the actual album quality

it really has nothing to do with being a dio fan or having high expectations, black sabbath has been and will always be my favorite band of all time. going into 13 my expectations were guarded since i had a feeling the magic between ozzy and the rest of the group was pretty much gone. technical ecstasy and never say die were huge drop offs and the songs recorded in the 90s with ozzy sucked.

the problem isnt age, you could see it with the devil you know, you saw it with the couple of charity songs tony did with ian gillan that iommi can still kick ass with the best of them regardless of age. 13 has its moments but sounds forced and manufactured to the point where they recycled songs and ripped themselves off. ozzy's vocals for the most part were better than i expected but it still sounded at times like he was just reading from a lyric sheet(end of the beginning)

sabbath has always been a band that always changed it up and did something different song to song, album to album and everytime you thought you had them figured out they would throw out a changes, solitude, or planet caravan at you. in parts it sounds like their brains were on autopilot and no real thought went into the music. this album in ways reminds me of forbidden(not as bad) where the band just went through the motions and phoned it in.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

the problem isnt age, you could see it with the devil you know, you saw it with the couple of charity songs tony did with ian gillan that iommi can still kick ass with the best of them regardless of age. 13 has its moments but sounds forced and manufactured to the point where they recycled songs and ripped themselves off. ozzy's vocals for the most part were better than i expected but it still sounded at times like he was just reading from a lyric sheet(end of the beginning)

Haha, Ozzy really does sound like he is reading off a lyric sheet on 13.

Sabbath with Ozzy is my #1 favourite band of all time but I think this last reunion has just been a catastrophe and it stinks of cash grab...13 is Sabbath by numbers and mediocre at best, I wish they hadn't done it.

Tony and Geezer are still evergreen but even in the studio Ozzy is beyond the pale now.

I didn't LOVE The Devil You Know but Follow The Tears and Bible Black were/are absolute classic tracks that stand up to anything they did before- there isn't a song on 13 that I could say that about.

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1

*fist bump*

Fuck Bill

(yes, i said that)

They are in their 60's

I think your musical tasts is too much strict anyway, so your opinion always be considered like a hipster opinion, so

other who have bash this albumare mostly Dio fans here or they had really too much expectations

Try responding to my post this time. How is it too much expectations to expect Black Sabbath to make a decent album that sounds like Black Sabbath? I'm not asking for Master of Reality 2.0, just an album that actually sounds like Black Sabbath and isn't a bunch of note-for-note rehashes of their old songs.

Try listen to the album without a hipster musical taste

Damaged Soul for example is what you want to hear so badly and whine in every sabbath related thread

Btw an other producer could have been do more favor for this regard too...

Rick Rubin influenced this album, that is why you think Black Sabbath is trying to hard to be their own caricatures

technical ecstasy and never say die were huge drop offs and the songs recorded in the 90s with ozzy sucked.

Meh...

Those are under rated albums, try listen to You Won't Change Me, She's Gone, Backstreet Kids.... or Johnny Blade, Juniors Eyes, Air dance, Over To You

All of them got great riffs, guitar playing, nice additions and even great vocal melodies from Ozz....

You're just biased as fuck

Haha, Ozzy really does sound like he is reading off a lyric sheet on 13.

Sabbath with Ozzy is my #1 favourite band of all time but I think this last reunion has just been a catastrophe and it stinks of cash grab...13 is Sabbath by numbers and mediocre at best, I wish they hadn't done it.

Tony and Geezer are still evergreen but even in the studio Ozzy is beyond the pale now.

I didn't LOVE The Devil You Know but Follow The Tears and Bible Black were/are absolute classic tracks that stand up to anything they did before- there isn't a song on 13 that I could say that about.

Could this picture from the 70's end this shitty debate about how Ozzy reading the lyrics? who the fuck cares?

d26qVea.png?1

Btw to me TDYK is sound as forced as 13 do...

Probably you people diggging it, because they had a proper guitar sound and Dio once again pull it off in the studio but th songs overall not even on the Dehumanizer level...

Edited by Strange Broue

Come on. Black Sabbath (minus Bill) reunites and starts recording an album, and we're not supposed to have expectations? That's the cross you bear when you reunite and record an album. It would be the same for any band as big as Sabbath. You can try all you want to not have expectations, but recording a "reunion" album guarantees a level of expectation. It's unavoidable.

The album is completely forgettable. If I want to listen to Ozzy Sabbath, I'll listen to the earlier albums because they are leagues better. The Devil You Know is an album I still want to listen to, alongside Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer. That's why it'll always be the better album for me.

• Like 2

What's so random about it? It's a highly polarizing album (Arguably more so than any other Sabbath album) and this is the thread we started for the album/tour cycle.

Just because its 2 years old. Its cool though, its a fun topic.

Come on. Black Sabbath (minus Bill) reunites and starts recording an album, and we're not supposed to have expectations? That's the cross you bear when you reunite and record an album. It would be the same for any band as big as Sabbath. You can try all you want to not have expectations, but recording a "reunion" album guarantees a level of expectation. It's unavoidable.

The album is completely forgettable. If I want to listen to Ozzy Sabbath, I'll listen to the earlier albums because they are leagues better. The Devil You Know is an album I still want to listen to, alongside Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer. That's why it'll always be the better album for me.

I agree that its fine that people have high expectations

Anyways, I've made my stance clear- I really do like the record. Great guitar work and the songs are cool. I do think it is a bit of a copy cat record at times, though.

1.End of the Beginning = Black Sabbath

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

4. Zeitgeist = Planet Caravan

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

7. Damaged Soul = The Warning

8. Dear Father

So, 4 songs on the album are really close in sound and structure to past songs. The other songs also bear a lot of similarities to their past stuff. So, I totally get that complain. Still, I think this is all good music. End of the Beginning has great guitar work, God is Dead? has a really cool second half. Loner is catchy with good musicianship. Zeitgeist is a good Planet Caravan ripoff. Age of Reason is one of their best songs in decades imo, the final solo is excellent. Live Forever is kind of forgettable. Damaged Soul is awesome, lots of awesome guitar and a good throwback to jammy Sabbath. Dear Father is the most Ozzy/newish sounding song and it grew on me.

I think 13 is way better than Forbidden and the Tony Martin stuff.

What's so random about it? It's a highly polarizing album (Arguably more so than any other Sabbath album) and this is the thread we started for the album/tour cycle.

Anyways, I've made my stance clear- I really do like the record. Great guitar work and the songs are cool. I do think it is a bit of a copy cat record at times, though.

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

So, 4 songs on the album are really close in sound and structure to past songs. The other songs also bear a lot of similarities to their past stuff. So, I totally get that complain. Still, I think this is all good music. End of the Beginning has great guitar work, God is Dead? has a really cool second half. Loner is catchy with good musicianship. Zeitgeist is a good Planet Caravan ripoff. Age of Reason is one of their best songs in decades imo, the final solo is excellent. Live Forever is kind of forgettable. Damaged Soul is awesome, lots of awesome guitar and a good throwback to jammy Sabbath. Dear Father is the most Ozzy/newish sounding song and it grew on me.

Not for me. I'd take any Tony Martin album over 13 except for Forbidden, and maybe Cross Purposes.

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

8. Dear Father

Have you heard the bonus tracks? Yikes

• Like 1