What are the best "Blaxploitation" films?

Vincent Vega

Yes. Apparently they deliberately opted for exploitation with the source material so that they could include all of the sex, miscegenation etc. The film at one stage could have been theoretically picked up by the studios.

They divide opinion, black opinion that is, then and today. Of course they are a form of black empowerment, aggrandising black actors, filmmakers and musicians, proliferating black culture, but also some regard them as sustaining - even creating - a negative connotation of black people with crime (e.g. pimps and drug dealers). This still exists today of course.

Muhammad Ali thought like that, i remember this speech he was doing where it's something like 'and all these boys walking around with fur coats with the nails done talkin' about I'm a hustler, I'm pimpin', maaan you a sissy! You kids wannabe like someone? Be like Muhammad Ali!'

I like the way Kung Fu movies and Blaxploitation kinda blended together, i find that fascinating, i mean the cultural divide between 36 chambers of shaolin and a bunch of black New York hoodlums couldn't be more broader...yet they sort of meet somewhere. I suppose upon close analysis you see similarities, Kung Fu flicks have a strong sense of nationalism in them and Blaxploitation, to a point was like, obviously very pro black stuff. And then the sort of emphasis on style.

EVERY rappers from the 90s who grew up in the 70s and 80s, even the ones who didn't wear in on their sleeve like Wu Tang was into Kung Fu movies in a big way, a big big way, they reference them so much in their raps, i remember Tupac even giving an analogy about how he was a step above the old school rappers before him and in giving this analogy he starts going on about The Five Deadly Venoms :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

It is cheap and trashy cinema with one or two exceptions (e.g. Shaft, King Hu's Taiwanese epics). Also both genres arrive with certain cultural tropes intact, there being an assembly line quality in production values for both. You know where you are with a good Kung Fu or Blaxploitation film, although Blaxploitation is a much wider more embryonic (so called) genre. I'm taking Blaxploitation to mean its most identifiable sub-genre, the New York/Californian centered urban crime thriller or drama, involving black characters in numerous situations involving pimps, drugs and murder. You look at an actor like Fargas and you know exactly what his character is about, his purpose/intent. It is similar with even a leading star like Pam Grier. It is similar in Kung Fu films also. You understand the manner of dressing. You understand the locations - especially if you have some working knowledge of New York and Hong Kong. You understand the cultural norms, ethics and manners of speaking even. I love cinema like that. You sit down and know exactly where you are. It is not art house but it can be extremely good.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

What's the Shaft sequels like? Decent? Shite (like most sequels)?

It is curious as at the exact same time Scorsese was making Mean Streets, films like Black Caesar and The Mack began to pop up. Just as Scorsese was depicting the underbelly of the Italian-American experience, so were films looking at the Afro-American underworld. I see a great affinity between a film like The Mack and what Scorsese was doing, and would do in the future on films like Goodfellas.

Thus far I'd go,

The Mack

Across 110th Street

Black Caesar

Coffy

Shaft

Foxy Brown and Super Fly would bring up the rear.

Granted I do not really consider Across 110th Street to be thorough Blaxploitation - it certainly isn't exploitation cinema!

PS

I have some vague memory of a hippy hoppy film from the 1980s or '90s where somebody says something like, ''I've got to go home. The Mack is on tv and I want to tape it''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Superfly deserve much more credit i reckon, top by even the most uncharitable of assessments. And you're right about Across 110th, thats the Anthony Quinn movie, it was not until the internet that i even had the notion that was a blaxploitation film cuz i saw that as a very little kid on BBC2 first time, it was just an Anthony Quinn movie to me at the time, not blaxploitation. I never liked Shaft much in general to be honest.

The film you are referring to might be Friday

Can i borrow your VCR right quick I need to dub a tape?

Hell nah!

It's the Mack!

:lol:

Gary Oldmans watching it in True Romance just before he dies too. I tell ya what i been trying to find but couldn't for years, Superfly TNT the sequel. It's a piece of shit but I'd like to see it back just for the sake of it.

Edited by Len B'stard

Literally the best intro to a film

You get the money?

I ain't got nothin', she wouldn't give it to me

TOLD YOU SHE WOULDN'T DO IT RIGHT?...i made the connection...y'hear me n!gga? C'mon! Wastin' all this goddamn tiiiime...now we gon' do it my way!

And the song kicks in, it's almost Hitchcockian, that arial shot. I could watch this film once a day!

Superfly deserve much more credit i reckon, top by even the most uncharitable of assessments. And you're right about Across 110th, thats the Anthony Quinn movie, it was not until the internet that i even had the notion that was a blaxploitation film cuz i saw that as a very little kid on BBC2 first time, it was just an Anthony Quinn movie to me at the time, not blaxploitation. I never liked Shaft much in general to be honest.

The film you are referring to might be Friday

Can i borrow your VCR right quick I need to dub a tape?

Hell nah!

It's the Mack!

:lol:

Gary Oldmans watching it in True Romance just before he dies too. I tell ya what i been trying to find but couldn't for years, Superfly TNT the sequel. It's a piece of shit but I'd like to see it back just for the sake of it.

My main problem with Super Fly is that fat black guy sitting there with a grin on his face; his acting is so bad it would make Byker Grove blush with embarrassment on his behalf. What's there not to like about Shaft, a superior thriller? That intro with Isaac Hayes' score is unsurpassed. Sequels are a bit ropey as they turned Shaft into a Bond figure and it all got a little unrealistic and silly, but the original is a masterpiece.

PS

A wanker who has seen the mack too many times,

734708_10151366179768896_1430309_n-300x2

Edited by DieselDaisy