Guns N’ Roses’ DJ Ashba Cites Production Issues for Band’s Concert Tardiness

wfse

Guns N’ Roses’ DJ Ashba Cites Production Issues for Band’s Concert Tardiness

Guns N’ Roses have taken a few knocks in recent years for appearing onstage late or rolling past curfews as a result, but one of the main reasons for that occurrence is the production value that they’re bringing to audiences around the world.

Guitarist DJ Ashba tells Australia’s Yahoo7 News that the production issues are a common reason for the delay in getting the band to the stage. He explains, “We have a huge rig and pyrotechnics so often it’s the case of fitting all that into the venue. Our number one priority is to make the shows safe. [The criticism from fans on social media] kills us as a band because we’re not doing any of this on purpose. Our main goal is to go and give the fans a show they will never forget and we understand how expensive tickets are. We take that into account and when we do hit the stage, it’s almost impossible to get us off.”

The guitarist also addressed the sometimes negative perception of frontman Axl Rose in the media, explaining, “I think a lot of people and the press try to blow it up and say he’s an a–hole, but everyone can be an a–hole if you get them on the wrong day. One thing people don’t seem to get is that he’s genuinely funny and he’s always joking around and telling stories to make people laugh. I always say that if he wasn’t a musician, he’d be a great comedian. I wish the world could see that side of him because it’s the opposite of what people have branded in their brains.”

Even though Ashba is one of the last members to join the current Guns N’ Roses lineup, he says that Rose has done nothing but treat his bandmates like gold since he started. He adds, “He lets us write our own solos and gives everybody their time to shine on stage and I think that says a lot about who he is. He has no problem sharing the spotlight, in fact he quite likes it.” Guns N’ Roses will next take the stage this March in Australia.

http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-dj-ashba-cites-production-issues-band-tardiness/

The guitarist also addressed the sometimes negative perception of frontman Axl Rose in the media, explaining, “I think a lot of people and the press try to blow it up and say he’s an a–hole, but everyone can be an a–hole if you get them on the wrong day. One thing people don’t seem to get is that he’s genuinely funny and he’s always joking around and telling stories to make people laugh. I always say that if he wasn’t a musician, he’d be a great comedian. I wish the world could see that side of him because it’s the opposite of what people have branded in their brains.”

If he did interviews we may see that side

So now Axl Rose is a production issue?

What a load of shit.

Username.. this isn't to critisize in any way, but didn't you used to be a big supporter of the nee band 5+ years ago? Or maybe im mixing you up with someone else...

I was! Still am, I guess. When I first saw them live (2006) it was absolutely amazing. I loved the band and I loved the music. I was critical about the lack of an album back then, but at least we were hopeful and there were more and more leaks that kept things interesting. But I'm just really frustrated with some things. First of all I really do dislike Ashba for a lot of reasons. I won't get into them all, but I just don't like the guy. Trading in Robin for that was a real shame. Chinese Democracy was a big letdown for me as well. I like a lot of the songs, but I really dislike the production and mixing. It could've been so much better (more raw). I was more excited about the demo's than the final product. But what puts me off even more is the lack of progress. Somehow there are supposed to have 3 albums worth of material and if the bandmembers are right there's even more. This band used to be a (lovable) trainwreck. But now they seem to have their shit together very well. They're touring, they're active. Shit is getting done. Yet somehow they're not moving forward AT ALL. Where is all the new music they claim to already have? Where are the announcements? Where is the press and the promotion of all that material they're supposed to have? Why would they dangle that tasty carrot in front of their fans and then not give people anything of it? Why are we going around in circles with endless semi-similar tours? I want to hear and see what this band can do. And don't say Chinese Democracy is just that, because that's from a very different band. And meanwhile Axl's voice is just getting worse and worse. Can't imagine all the endless touring helping that either. Back then there seemed to be a million reasons and problems. Now everything seems so much better, and we're still getting jack shit out of it.

So yes, I support Guns n' Roses. A lot. But they frustrate the living hell out of me.

Edited by username

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

We get more spin, lies and deception from GNR than we do from the Chinese government. Sad state of affairs.

Yeah. DJ, whatever about his musicality, giving the fanbase a genuine beacon of hope regarding the possibility of a new album from our favourite band is comparable to labour camps, death penalty for spitting chewing gum etc. It's common knowledge that Axl dispatches a death squad every time we openly question his authority. If that were the case 3/4s of the main board's OPs would be corpses.

And DJ probably is going out of his way to defend his buddy, but isn't that indictive of a tight, functional band as oppose to the open criticisms other members express? I think it's far more refreshing to to see a member of the band defend Axl's actions out of comradery as oppose to business. His heart is in the right place old DJ, again irrespective of your personal issues with his musicality.

I could believe the production issues for some of it, it is a big rig and stuff. But they were 'late' on nearly every Vegas show... 12 dates, in the same venue, in 3 weeks? Sorry, that doesn't seem believable.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about what time they come on - more time at the bar for me! - but why lie about it? He could've said "Most of the time it's production issues, but there are a few occasions where *insert reason/excuse* happens"

So every other band that does pyros (like KISS) is on time, but sure, things happen at live shows. People get hurt that we never hear about getting hurt, building might not be up to code, who wants another Great White incident at the smaller venues?

DJ's being diplomatic but he's speaking from his point of view of "Axl's a midwest guy like me" and that he sees where Axl's coming from. He's not going to badmouth the guys in the band until he leaves.

Plus Axl's said in interviews why he runs late. It's not like he needs someone to make excuses for him when he doesn't make any for himself. Rock In Rio was probably one of the few times Axl forced himself to do the show because they cancelled RIR and had to deal with the settlement with Azoff, and that was weather related. It was probably one of their personal worst shows (which was still pretty good) but Ron made it sound like Sturgis was the worst since he's been in the band.

Edited by dalsh327

We get more spin, lies and deception from GNR than we do from the Chinese government. Sad state of affairs.

Yeah. DJ, whatever about his musicality, giving the fanbase a genuine beacon of hope regarding the possibility of a new album from our favourite band is comparable to labour camps, death penalty for spitting chewing gum etc. It's common knowledge that Axl dispatches a death squad every time we openly question his authority. If that were the case 3/4s of the main board's OPs would be corpses.

And DJ probably is going out of his way to defend his buddy, but isn't that indictive of a tight, functional band as oppose to the open criticisms other members express? I think it's far more refreshing to to see a member of the band defend Axl's actions out of comradery as oppose to business. His heart is in the right place old DJ, again irrespective of your personal issues with his musicality.

You're right. My point was that Axl runs the equivalent of labor camps and death squads. Nailed me.

Plus Axl's said in interviews why he runs late. It's not like he needs someone to make excuses for him when he doesn't make any for himself. Rock In Rio was probably one of the few times Axl forced himself to do the show because they cancelled RIR and had to deal with the settlement with Azoff, and that was weather related. It was probably one of their personal worst shows (which was still pretty good) but Ron made it sound like Sturgis was the worst since he's been in the band.

That was the first thing I thought of too. Axl has all but admitted it's his own fault in interviews and the forum chats. He said he was just a night person and prefers to take the stage later. I guess Ashba just thought that "production issues" sounded better than "Axl does what he feels like doing" or something to that effect, even though Axl himself joked about his tardiness when he did the Kimmel show.

I have no doubt sometimes it is due to making sure the rig is put together safely. You figure, if the band leaves the stage at 2:00 am, the takedown doesn't start until then. It's got to get loaded in the trucks, out to the next venue, and set up again safely. Let's say most bands end at 11:00 pm as opposed to the 1:30-2:00 am of Guns - just from that the crew has already lost three hours worth of takedown time.

Still, everybody knows Axl is the main factor in the lateness.

I can't believe that people still buy the excuses for Axl not getting his ass on stage like a professional.

Do U2, with their massive stage production that far exceeds the few pyros added to the GNR production, have the same complaints about their stage times from their fanbase?

I can't believe that people still buy the excuses for Axl not getting his ass on stage like a professional.

Do U2, with their massive stage production that far exceeds the few pyros added to the GNR production, have the same complaints about their stage times from their fanbase?

I'm pretty sure the U2 production took weeks to set up before the show they played in my area.I don't think they setup and tore down and drug that whole production around for multiple shows a week. Edited by cbgnr